Walking in the morning while being black.

Assuming the video is showing the whole situation, the guy was acting suspiciously. When the police ask you for ID and you can't provide it, most honest people give them a full name and address and say we can go to my house at whatever address and I can get it. Or he had his phone with him and could have put the cop on the phone with somebody at home. Criminals use kids all the time anymore. We've all seen the videos where the parent gets the little kid to go snatch a package off a porch, et al.

But body slamming an obviously unarmed guy before all those options were used, yes excessive. Especially in front of the young boy. The officer should be severely reprimanded if not fired. (And who bothers to carry their billfold/ID when they're just going for a walk around the neighborhood? On the other hand, who is up at the crack of dawn going for a walk with their young kid?)
It's hot in Oklahoma. I walk in the mornings because it is cooler.

Do people want the Police watching over their areas? Asking questions? If you’re outside walking around innocent, why can’t you just answer simple questions and not be a smart-butt dic?

Do people want the Police watching over their areas? Asking questions? If you’re outside walking around innocent, why can’t you just answer simple questions and not be a smart-butt dic?
Cops need to learn manners in a lot of cases. Respect is EARNED, not granted.

Too many times we see corrupt cops violating civil rights because they are not held to account.

Till now.

Videos, show the criminal behavior that we all suspected, but were never able to prove.

No. Only because he refused to show ID. The moment you resist, interfere with or fail to follow a lawful order of a LEO you lose all right to expect to be treated with ABY amount of respect or deference in my mind.

Dumb thing to do. Especially with the kid there.
If you get profiled enough it starts ingraining negative thoughts into your thinking that we are supposed to be free. You never forget abuse. And there are millions and millions of people who have never received satisfaction or justice from that.

Then I am dead and they can find out who I am from my phone, it is the only thing I carry while walking or running.

Back when I did competitive running I had one of these, but I do not mess with them any longer.

See post 42

If I did not have my ID I would nevertheless not argue with the cop about it

As it stands if I dont have any identification its the cops discretion about what happens next

Keeping my argumentative side to myself and fully cooperating with the police is the smart thing to do

It's hot in Oklahoma. I walk in the mornings because it is cooler.
It's hot in New Mexico too and if I'm walking outside it is usually in the cool of the morning. But not when it's still dark outside. And if I had gotten my kids up to go walking when it was still dark outside they would have thought I had gone nuts.

The whole story is still not known to internet posters. They guy could be a repeat criminal. The cops could have seen him hurriedly stash burglary tools behind a trash can? The kid might not be his? Nobody knows anything.

Police could be on a witch hunt and would be labeled “in the wrong” afterwards by Monday morning QB. Do you want Police watching out in advance for crime or not?

Since I have nothing to hide I would have produced my ID
I think it was reasonable the guy wouldn't have an ID while going for a walk in his neighborhood. I never take my ID either when I go for a walk around here. And most people would give their full name, address, get someone at home on the phone or whatever. The guy wasn't at all smart there if he was on the up and up. But the way the cop handled it was excessive until all those options had been exhausted. He didn't even ask the guy where he lived.

It's hot in New Mexico too and if I'm walking outside it is usually in the cool of the morning. But not when it's still dark outside. And if I had gotten my kids up to go walking when it was still dark outside they would have thought I had gone nuts.

Exactly. I posted similar about getting a kid up dressed and out walking at sunup. Gee dad, sounds fun. Can I eat first? I want cereal and cartoons!

Here's some relevant info, in this article. I added the bold.

The Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is still looking into if the use of force was justified. But in the meantime, viewers have sent KOCO 5 a hundred messages, emails and phone calls, complaining about other cases involved one of the officers involved.​
...........​
That officer has a history of other complaints, including from his former colleagues, according to the sheriff.
"The deputies that were underneath him, they had lost faith in him as their leader. Yeah, and so I demoted him back later," Daugherty said.​
The officer ended up moving to a position that wasn't with the public before leaving the sheriff's office. He eventually ended up with a position at the Watonga Police Department.​

I think it was reasonable the guy wouldn't have an ID while going for a walk in his neighborhood. I never take my ID either when I go for a walk around here. And most people would give their full name, address, get someone at home on the phone or whatever. The guy wasn't at all smart there if he was on the up and up. But the way the cop handled it was excessive until all those options had been exhausted. He didn't even ask the guy where he lived.
I heard a question about “do you live around here?”

The whole story is still not known to internet posters. They guy could be a repeat criminal. The cops could have seen him hurriedly stash burglary tools behind a trash can? The kid might not be his? Nobody knows anything.

Police could be on a witch hunt and would be labeled “in the wrong” afterwards by Monday morning QB. Do you want Police watching out in advance for crime or not?
That's it. That's why I prefaced my judgment based on the assumption the video showed the whole story. The guy was not behaving as most normal law abiding citizens would behave and did nothing to reassure the cop he actually was out walking at the crack of dawn with his young son.

I do not fault the cop for checking him out. I do fault the way the cop handled it.

I heard a question about “do you live around here?”
I went back and listened again and you're right. I think I heard the cop ask what's your full name and address to which the guy said (paraphrased) I don't know but I don't have to show my ID. The kid never called the guy 'dad' or 'daddy' but was upset when he was arrested. The behavior of the child was interesting. I'm pretty sure in that situation my kids would be moving closer to me instead of creating distance between me and them.

Last edited:
I went back and listened again and you're right. I think I heard the cop ask what's your full name and address to which the guy said (paraphrased) I don't know but I don't have to show my ID. The kid never called the guy 'dad' or 'daddy' but was upset when he was arrested. The behavior of the child was interesting. I'm pretty sure in that situation my kids would be moving closer to me.
I would like to see the man’s rapsheet

I would like to see the man’s rapsheet
Again, he might be on the up and up and I can't condone body slamming him until all other options were exhausted there. But for sure, if he was just an innocent guy out for a walk with his kid, he must be the most stupid innocent guy ever in the way he was behaving. I would judge the circumstances as justification to question him and his behavior to be suspicious. I just think the cop should have exhausted all other options before arresting him as they did.

Again, he might be on the up and up and I can't condone body slamming him until all other options were exhausted there. But for sure, if he was just an innocent guy out for a walk with his kid, he must be the most stupid innocent guy ever in the way he was behaving. I would judge the circumstances as justification to question him and his behavior to be suspicious. I just think the cop should have exhausted all other options before arresting him as they did.
He didnt have to get body slammed

But he chose to resist getting handcuffed

Forum List

Back