Wall Street finally taught Zuckerberg the lesson he deserved

bripat9643

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2011
Now Trump needs to have the DOJ file an antitrust lawsuit against Facebook since they are using their monopoly power to to persecute groups they don't agree with.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/28/wall-street-finally-taught-zuckerberg-the-lesson-he-deserved/

This week Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg finally got the whack across the nose that many had hoped Congress would give him back in April.

The social-media giant’s stock price took a spectacular nose dive Thursday after the company forecast a slowdown in the rate of new user sign-ups. Analysts reckon Facebook’s limp response to the European Union’s recently enacted digital privacy laws also soured investors on its near-term financial future.

While Zuckerberg spent the first half of 2018 listening to but not really hearing complaints about how Facebook mishandles user data, it’s a good bet he’s listening now. All told, Thursday’s trading vaporized $119 billion of the Menlo Park, Calif., company’s market value. That’s roughly the equivalent of the gross domestic product of Kuwait.

Public patience with Zuckerberg’s often unconvincing — and at times duplicitous — statements about the heroic lengths Facebook goes to protect user data appears to have come to an end. A rolling tide of revelations this year about persistent privacy breaches has eviscerated Facebook’s credibility on the issue. People have been logging off in droves.

Facebook has long claimed that its mission is to develop social infrastructure and — *gag* — build community. That no longer passes the giggle test. What they really want to do is follow people around the Internet, collect and organize what they learn and sell that information to the highest bidder.

To the three people who don’t realize it already: Facebook doesn’t think of you as the customer; they think of you as the product.

Congress raked Zuckerberg across the coals this spring. It made for satisfying viewing but ultimately came to nothing. No one in Washington appears up to the task of regulating America’s favorite time-waster.

Now the market has done what government failed to do — discipline Facebook...

Facebook still has the most valuable product on Earth. Facebook is the collector of the most comprehensive database of market-based research on the planet. Back in the day, advertisers had to use polling or focus groups to find out how consumers reacted to products/services/ideas and even if the people questioned told the truth (and they often didn't), the poll sample was statistically meaningless and skewed to urban middle class.

Now Facebook has a look inside the hearts and minds of literally every person on Earth, every country, every socio-economic class, and without them knowing (or realizing) their like and dislikes, kinks, hates, obsessions, and innermost thoughts and fantasies are being collected/collated and made into the most comprehensive market research in human history.

Until something comes along to replace it, and it will, it still remains the most intimate window into how the world thinks, what it likes, and what it's likely to buy.

I'm not judging the moral implications of this massive breach of personal privacy, I'm just saying it's currently the most valuable resource on Earth.

Facebook still has the most valuable product on Earth. Facebook is the collector of the most comprehensive database of market-based research on the planet. Back in the day, advertisers had to use polling or focus groups to find out how consumers reacted to products/services/ideas and even if the people questioned told the truth (and they often didn't), the poll sample was statistically meaningless and skewed to urban middle class.

Now Facebook has a look inside the hearts and minds of literally every person on Earth, every country, every socio-economic class, and without them knowing (or realizing) their like and dislikes, kinks, hates, obsessions, and innermost thoughts and fantasies are being collected/collated and made into the most comprehensive market research in human history.

Until something comes along to replace it, and it will, it still remains the most intimate window into how the world thinks, what it likes, and what it's likely to buy.

I'm not judging the moral implications of this massive breach of personal privacy, I'm just saying it's currently the most valuable resource on Earth.
Facebook just pissed-off half of their customer base. They are staging a mass exodus.going forwards, revenue growth will be chronically in the negative direction. Facebook could easily go bankrupt in a few years.

Facebook just pissed-off half of their customer base. They are staging a mass exodus.going forwards, revenue growth will be chronically in the negative direction. Facebook could easily go bankrupt in a few years.

First of all, that's not true. Most of Facebook's customer base can't spell Zuckerberg. They have no clue about data privacy. They aren't concerned with anything but sharing their weekend barbecue snaps and awkward selfies.

Those who do are so addicted to the social connections they've made on the network that they couldn't give it up if they wanted.

Until something else comes along that will be the next big Facebook, it's not going away.

POSTSCRIPT

I happen to think Facebook is equal parts weapons-grade evil and awesome. I know precisely what they're doing and I'm still using it. Just can't help myself.

Last edited:

First of all, that's not true. Most of Facebook's customer base can't spell Zuckerberg. They have no clue about data privacy. They aren't concerned with anything but sharing their weekend barbecue snaps and awkward selfies.

Those who do are so addicted to the social connections they've made on the network that they couldn't give it up if they wanted.

Until something else comes along that will be the next big Facebook, it's not going away.

POSTSCRIPT

I happen to think Facebook is equal parts weapons-grade evil and awesome. I know precisely what they're doing and I'm still using it. Just can't help myself.
20% drop in stock value, did you buy in??

POSTSCRIPT

I've done the Internet-stocks before. It didn't end well.

POSTSCRIPT

I've done the Internet-stocks before. It didn't end well.
Me too. However, do you see an opportunity to make some clams??

....Just can't help myself.

That's what Zuckerberg is counting on

NvQyqWF.png

:coffee:

Many people can't live without Facebook. Others grow up and just grow out of it. It's that sort of product.

Now Trump needs to have the DOJ file an antitrust lawsuit against Facebook since they are using their monopoly power to to persecute groups they don't agree with.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/28/wall-street-finally-taught-zuckerberg-the-lesson-he-deserved/

This week Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg finally got the whack across the nose that many had hoped Congress would give him back in April.

The social-media giant’s stock price took a spectacular nose dive Thursday after the company forecast a slowdown in the rate of new user sign-ups. Analysts reckon Facebook’s limp response to the European Union’s recently enacted digital privacy laws also soured investors on its near-term financial future.

While Zuckerberg spent the first half of 2018 listening to but not really hearing complaints about how Facebook mishandles user data, it’s a good bet he’s listening now. All told, Thursday’s trading vaporized $119 billion of the Menlo Park, Calif., company’s market value. That’s roughly the equivalent of the gross domestic product of Kuwait.

Public patience with Zuckerberg’s often unconvincing — and at times duplicitous — statements about the heroic lengths Facebook goes to protect user data appears to have come to an end. A rolling tide of revelations this year about persistent privacy breaches has eviscerated Facebook’s credibility on the issue. People have been logging off in droves.

Facebook has long claimed that its mission is to develop social infrastructure and — *gag* — build community. That no longer passes the giggle test. What they really want to do is follow people around the Internet, collect and organize what they learn and sell that information to the highest bidder.

To the three people who don’t realize it already: Facebook doesn’t think of you as the customer; they think of you as the product.

Congress raked Zuckerberg across the coals this spring. It made for satisfying viewing but ultimately came to nothing. No one in Washington appears up to the task of regulating America’s favorite time-waster.

Typical statist, wanting to the government to interfere in private businesses and punish ones they do not like.

Is there anything you do no think the government should be involved in?

Typical statist, wanting to the government to interfere in private businesses and punish ones they do not like.

d2ae54d10eabdb80d8378fa1e14dac15--reality-check-fails.jpg

Just think, Zukerberg lost 3 times as much of his net worth in one day than Trump's total net worth. Yet all you zealot point to Trump's wealth as a sign of his success and brilliance. Seems you should be worshiping Zukerberg even more

Just think, Zukerberg lost 3 times as much of his net worth in one day than Trump's total net worth. Yet all you zealot point to Trump's wealth as a sign of his success and brilliance. Seems you should be worshiping Zukerberg even more
Too damned bad..............Is he broke...............My god he may have to eat a ham sandwich today..............

He sensors...............being a little leftist pawn...........gets owned.............poor smeagle........

I don't care ........it's Karma............Just like the NFL..........how did they like losing money for players kneeling..........

Maybe the turkey will stop playing politics now.......doubt it...........Facebook can be replaced............

Too damned bad..............Is he broke...............My god he may have to eat a ham sandwich today..............

He sensors...............being a little leftist pawn...........gets owned.............poor smeagle........

I don't care ........it's Karma............Just like the NFL..........how did they like losing money for players kneeling..........

Maybe the turkey will stop playing politics now.......doubt it...........Facebook can be replaced............

Some how I think he will be ok and he will do what he wants to do.

His company is a private company, they can sensor anything they damn well please.

Stop being such a drama queen snowflake

Some how I think he will be ok and he will do what he wants to do.

His company is a private company, they can sensor anything they damn well please.

Stop being such a drama queen snowflake
I'm sure he is just as dead broke as Hillary now.........I enjoy the moment........too bad........

Poor thing...........sniff sniff

Forum List

Back