Warren Buffett's concept to significantly reduce USA's trade deficit

My political position or the political position of your import certificate suggestion has nothing to do with the fact that some imports help us grow our GDP.

You can't take our current output numbers, including oil imports, and recalculate them assuming no oil imports? I predict if you do, you'll see GDP remains unchanged.

Toddster Patriot, you wrote “You can't take our current output numbers, including oil imports, and recalculate them assuming no oil imports”? Why would we want to do so? What’s the significance of the resulting statistic?

You state that if we eliminated petroleum imports, (in any form?), from our globally aggregate imports, it would not change our nation’s calculated GDP; that’s not true.

The nation’s balance of trade is integral to the calculation of its GDP. Elimination of petroleum from USA’s aggregate imports would modify USA’s GDP. Why is this of any significance?
The proposed trade policy would not materially affect USA’s global petroleum trade.

Within this trade proposal, USA’s global trade of goods (to to the extent of specifically listed minerals integral to those goods) are unaffected by this proposal. It’s to be expected that the U.S. Congress would include petroleum, gold, silver, platinum, chrome, gem stones, radium and rare earths on that list of list of scarce or precious materials.

Trade deficits are ALWAYS immediately detrimental to their nations GDPs. This is not reason to avoid global trade, but it’s an excellent reason to attempt reducing if not eliminating our trade deficits.
Buffett’s proposal’s purpose was to bolster the value of the U.S. dollar which becomes additionally more critical as we increase oil imports. I believe that the proposal’s greatest benefit would be to reduce our current and future export of well paying jobs.

What is your point? What is it that you’re advocating?
This proposal does not intervene within trade to the extent of the specifically listed minerals that may be integral to any globally traded goods.

You want to spin your wheels? Reduce any annual GDP by the amount of USA’s annual petroleum imports and not arrive at a lesser GDP. Then recalculate USA’s GDP but reduce USA’s trade deficit by the amount of USA’s annual petroleum imports; both calculations will provide the exact same LESSER GDP. The GDP expenditure formula is what it is.

Respectfully, Supposn

The nation’s balance of trade is integral to the calculation of its GDP. Elimination of petroleum from USA’s aggregate imports would modify USA’s GDP. Why is this of any significance?

Run the numbers.
Show me.
Prove your claim.

Most importantly, GDP increased from the stone age to here as the free market provided the incentive to shop for the best cheapest products anywhere in the world. Any liberal intrusion merely reduces GDP growth.

Supposin is against the free market but can't say why. It is typical of a liberal.

...........Run the numbers. Show me. Prove your claim.

Edward Baiamonte & Toddster Patriot, the expenditure formula is among the simplest and most commonly used GDP calculation formulas. (Note that all conventionally accepted GDP formulas produce similar GDP amounts and they all directly or indirectly factor in the nation’s global trade balance to calculate the GDP).
///////////////////////////////
Excerpted from Wikipedia’s explanation of GDP:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_domestic_product

GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports − imports),
or
GDP = C + I + G + (X- M)
//////////////////////////////

Thus GDP = (Nation’s total spending for goods & services)
plus (Nation’s global trade balance).

If you increase the nation’s global trade balance, GDP is increased.
If you reduce the nation’s global trade balance, GDP is reduced.

I last explained all of this in some more detail within messages #291 & #295.

I don’t see how I can explain it simpler. Algebra gives us the correct answer regardless of which year’s statistics you choose to plug in. I’m not going to do your entire homework.

You plug in the numbers and it you find any authoritative set of figures that contradict my explanation, post your link to those figures so we can all appreciate it.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:

Edward Baiamonte & Toddster Patriot, the expenditure formula is among the simplest and most commonly used GDP calculation formulas. (Note that all conventionally accepted GDP formulas produce similar GDP amounts and they all directly or indirectly factor in the nation’s global trade balance to calculate the GDP).
///////////////////////////////
Excerpted from Wikipedia’s explanation of GDP:
Gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports − imports),
or
GDP = C + I + G + (X- M)
//////////////////////////////

Thus GDP = (Nation’s total spending for goods & services)
plus (Nation’s global trade balance).

If you increase the nation’s global trade balance, GDP is increased.
If you reduce the nation’s global trade balance, GDP is reduced.

I last explained all of this in some more detail within messages #291 & #295.

I don’t see how I can explain it simpler. Algebra gives us the correct answer regardless of which year’s statistics you choose to plug in. I’m not going to do your entire homework.

You plug in the numbers and it you find any authoritative set of figures that contradict my explanation, post your link to those figures so we can all appreciate it.

Respectfully, Supposn

Excellent! I take the $453 billion we spent on oil last year and I put it in my checking account instead.
What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

...Wikipedia’s explanation of GDP:
Gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia GDP = private consumption + gross investment + government spending + (exports − imports),
or GDP = C + I + G + (X- M)...
Evidently the Wikiposters never studied econ far enough to get to the part of the book with the other GDP formulas. GDP can be added up several ways, and beginning econ classes often introduce the little kids to the one where the trade deficit is subtracted with in the simple one you found, the big kids in the later semesters also have to learn other GDP formulas including those ignoring the "trade deficit"--

GDP = R + I + P + SA + W
R : rents
I : interests
P : profits
SA : statistical adjustments (corporate income taxes, dividends, undistributed corporate profits)
W : wages​

GDP = COE + GOS + GMI + TP & M – SP & M
Compensation of employees (COE) measures the total remuneration to employees for work done. It includes wages and salaries, as well as employer contributions to social security and other such programs.
Gross operating surplus (GOS) is the surplus due to owners of incorporated businesses. Often called profits, although only a subset of total costs are subtracted from gross output to calculate GOS.
Gross mixed income (GMI) is the same measure as GOS, but for unincorporated businesses. This often includes most small businesses.
TP & M – SP & M are taxes less subsidies on production and imports​
--and the best students go on to classes where they learn how the trade deficit amount increases the GDP in this formula:
GDP = GNP + NR -E - NY – NCT + CAB
GNP = Gross National Product
NR = Net income from assets abroad (Net Income Receipts
E = Excess of Exports over Imports
NY = Net income abroad
NCT = Net current transfers
CAB = Current Account Balance​

The bottom line here is what's happening in real life. Every time that stupid 'trade deficit' gets bigger...
fredgraph.png

...employment and production soar.

GDP = R + I + P + SA + W
SA : statistical adjustments (corporate income taxes, dividends, undistributed corporate profits)

Compensation of employees (COE) measures the total remuneration to employees for work done. It includes wages and salaries, as well as employer contributions to social security and other such programs.
Gross operating surplus (GOS) is the surplus due to owners of incorporated businesses. Often called profits, although only a subset of total costs are subtracted from gross output to calculate GOS.
Gross mixed income (GMI) is the same measure as GOS, but for unincorporated businesses. This often includes most small businesses.
[/INDENT]--and the best students go on to classes where they learn how the trade deficit amount increases the GDP in this formula:
NY = Net income abroad

The bottom line here is what's happening in real life. Every time that stupid 'trade deficit' gets bigger...
fredgraph.png

ExPat_Pananama, there are other formulas for GDP but if those that include consumer spending must also include balance of trade. Because the formulas you offer include transfers of wealth, I doubt that they are among any conventionally recognized formulas employed by recognizable global statisticians or economists communities.

I’ll be offline for a couple of days. That will give you time to find any authoritative link for the formulas you offer. I do not believe them to be formulas for GDP.

Respectfully, Supposn

GDP = R + I + P + SA + W

[/INDENT]--and the best students go on to classes where they learn how the trade deficit amount increases the GDP in this formula:
NY = Net income abroad

fredgraph.png

ExPat_Pananama, there are other formulas for GDP but if those that include consumer spending must also include balance of trade. Because the formulas you offer include transfers of wealth, I doubt that they are among any conventionally recognized formulas employed by recognizable global statisticians or economists communities.

I’ll be offline for a couple of days. That will give you time to find any authoritative link for the formulas you offer. I do not believe them to be formulas for GDP.

Respectfully, Supposn

When you come back, will you be able to answer my question?

I take the $453 billion we spent on oil last year and I put it in my checking account instead.
What's GDP?

I'll get you started. Reduce consumption by $453 billion. Now reduce imports by $453 billion.
Thanks for your math help!

GDP = R + I + P + SA + W

NY = Net income abroad

fredgraph.png

Respectfully, Supposn

I take the $453 billion we spent on oil last year and I put it in my checking account instead.
What's GDP?

I'll get you started. Reduce consumption by $453 billion. Now reduce imports by $453 billion.
Not to get in Suposin's way, but you just stated that you decreased imports by $453B and reduced consumption by the same amount. Which is an exercise in irationality. You made assumptions in order to get to the result that you want.
So, reducing imports by X does not mean that consumption reduces by that same amount. Because, as you well know, the consumer has options. Like spending on other goods and services, or investing, or saving. So, while your question has an obvious answer, it is a completely immaterial question. Who cares. What is important is what the consumer would actually do. And that is something that no formula will answer. Depends a lot on what options the consumer has, how badly he needs the result that buying the products the import would provide, etc. Basic old elasticity of demand.

Depends a lot on what options the consumer has

sadly you are right. IF we had a domestic substitute for foreign oil that was the same price we would be richer; if we had a domestic substitute that was double the price we would be poorer.

Evidently the Wikiposters never studied econ far enough to get to the part of the book with the other GDP formulas. GDP can be added up several ways, and beginning econ classes often introduce the little kids to the one where the trade deficit is subtracted with in the simple one you found, the big kids in the later semesters also have to learn other GDP formulas including those ignoring the "trade deficit"--

GDP = R + I + P + SA + W

--and the best students go on to classes where they learn how the trade deficit amount increases the GDP in this formula:
NY = Net income abroad

fredgraph.png

...employment and production soar.[/QUOTE]

ExPat_Pananma, I contended that the formulas you submitted are not conventionally acceptable formulas to calculate GDP. I requested an authoritative link that would indicate I’m in error. Do you intend to respond?

You’re presenting a formula:
GDP = GNP + NR -E - NY – NCT + CA[/B]

I suppose “CA[/B]” to be a typographical error. It was meant to be “CAB”?
The formula supposingly describes the difference between a nation’s GDP and GNP.
It is not a formula for calculation of GDP. I have not studied it; I do not know if it’s authorative.

My concern is for the GDP which has a much greater (than the GNP’s), affect upon numbers of USA jobs and the median wage. I’m more particularly concerned about the trade deficit because it has a more precise (than the GDP as a whole) proportional affect, (i.e. it has greater leverage per dollar) upon the numbers of USA jobs and median wage.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

What's GDP?

Not to get in Suposin's way, but you just stated that you decreased imports by $453B and reduced consumption by the same amount. Which is an exercise in irationality. You made assumptions in order to get to the result that you want.
So, reducing imports by X does not mean that consumption reduces by that same amount. Because, as you well know, the consumer has options. Like spending on other goods and services, or investing, or saving. So, while your question has an obvious answer, it is a completely immaterial question. Who cares. What is important is what the consumer would actually do. And that is something that no formula will answer. Depends a lot on what options the consumer has, how badly he needs the result that buying the products the import would provide, etc. Basic old elasticity of demand.

Not to get in Suposin's way, but you just stated that you decreased imports by $453B and reduced consumption by the same amount. Which is an exercise in irationality.

Well, it is difficult to consume imported oil if you don't import it in the first place.

.....................Excellent! I take the $453 billion we spent on oil last year and I put it in my checking account instead.
What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

Toddster Patriot & Baiamonte, you tell us what portions $453,000,000,000 are each of the 3 general sources, (i.e. consumers, investors, government) reducing their spending for foreign goods? Money doesn’t generally sit undisturbed in checking accounts. What’s done with it? This proposed trade policy is primarily driven by the (U.S. domestic) market.

We then might all consider the possible consequences of your scenario.

[You’re aware and continue to ignore that the trade proposal I advocate is not applicable to the value of oil or any other specifically listed scarce or precious mineral materials integral to USA’s globally traded goods]. Your question is not an analogy or any manner related to the trade policy I’m advocating.
I did not and will not entertain your question (as is) because I want to continue ending my responses with the word “respectfully”.

Respectfully, Supposn

.....................Excellent! I take the $453 billion we spent on oil last year and I put it in my checking account instead.
What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

Toddster Patriot & Baiamonte, you tell us what portions $453,000,000,000 are each of the 3 general sources, (i.e. consumers, investors, government) reducing their spending for foreign goods? Money doesn’t generally sit undisturbed in checking accounts. What’s done with it? This proposed trade policy is primarily driven by the (U.S. domestic) market.

[You’re aware and continue to ignore that the trade proposal I advocate is not applicable to the value of oil or any other specifically listed scarce or precious mineral materials integral to USA’s globally traded goods]. Your question is not an analogy or any manner related to the trade policy I’m advocating.
I did not and will not entertain your question (as is) because I want to continue ending my responses with the word “respectfully”.

Respectfully, Supposn

You’re aware and continue to ignore that the trade proposal I advocate is not applicable to the value of oil or any other specifically listed scarce or precious mineral materials integral to USA’s globally traded goods

But you claim all trade deficits reduce our GDP. Whether it is oil or any other strategic material.
I just showed cutting oil imports to zero would leave calculated GDP unchanged.
Are you questioning the GDP formula you provided?

What's GDP?

Not to get in Suposin's way, but you just stated that you decreased imports by $453B and reduced consumption by the same amount. Which is an exercise in irationality.

Well, it is difficult to consume imported oil if you don't import it in the first place.
Consumption is not the same of consumption of imported oil. Consumption of imported oil is part of consumption. so, consumption of bus tickets is consumption, consumption of more fuel efficient cars is consumption, etc. etc, etc.

What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

Respectfully, Supposn

Toddster Patriot & Baiaimonte, it occurs to me that I can retain civility and answer your question.
Since you’re unwilling or unable to further expand your speculation as to the circumstances that would cause our ceasing to, (as you report) annually import $453,000,000,000 of petroleum. I’ll accept Edward Baiaimonte’s thought of “a domestic substitute for foreign oil that was the same price (or less, than foreign petroleum).

Then within the intervening year or years our petroleum imports have plunged to zero and because we’re now exporting our cheaper substitute for petroleum, we have a trade surplus and our GDP is going like “gang busters”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Consumption is not the same of consumption of imported oil. Consumption of imported oil is part of consumption. so, consumption of bus tickets is consumption, consumption of more fuel efficient cars is consumption, etc. etc, etc.

You seem to be making the claim that if we cut imports, we improve GDP,
but you have to admit that reducing imports and reducing consumption by the same amount is a wash for GDP.

What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

Respectfully, Supposn

Toddster Patriot & Baiaimonte, it occurs to me that I can retain civility and answer your question.
Since you’re unwilling or unable to further expand your speculation as to the circumstances that would cause our ceasing to, (as you report) annually import $453,000,000,000 of petroleum. I’ll accept Edward Baiaimonte’s thought of “a domestic substitute for foreign oil that was the same price (or less, than foreign petroleum).

Then within the intervening year or years our petroleum imports have plunged to zero and because we’re now exporting our cheaper substitute for petroleum, we have a trade surplus and our GDP is going like “gang busters”.

Respectfully, Supposn

Since you’re unwilling or unable to further expand your speculation as to the circumstances that would cause our ceasing to, (as you report) annually import $453,000,000,000 of petroleum.

You and Warren Buffet said imports hurt our GDP.
You convinced me, so let's stop importing oil.
That has to be a winner because, "Anything detrimental to the GDP is generally detrimental to the median wage" and “trade deficits are ALWAYS detrimental to their nations’ GDPs”

What's GDP?
Use your algebra.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

It goes without saying that if we have domestic energy that is lower priced than arab oil we are better off using it because we can then afford energy, plus something else.

But, if the domestic source is higher priced this is not true at all which is why we never want to add to import prices with idiotic liberal supposn tariffs.

If the foreign price is lower than the domestic substitute we are better off buying foreign since then too we can buy energy, plus something else, the purchase of which will hopefully stimulate the domestic economy as an additional bonus.

Last edited:
Toddster Patriot & Baiaimonte, You’re aware and continue to ignore that the trade proposal I advocate is not applicable to the value of oil or any other specifically listed scarce or precious mineral materials integral to USA’s globally traded goods.

Your question or supposition is not an analogy or any manner related to the trade policy I’m advocating.

Respectfully, Supposn

the trade proposal I advocate

too stupid!! You advocate a tariff on imports which would make Americans poorer with higher prices, cause unemployment as other countries retaliated, and shield our industries from international competition making them, and our country, less than "world class."

As a liberal you simple lack the IQ to understand free trade:

the more with whom you trade the richer you get no matter if they are across the street or across the world; the fewer with whom you trade the poorer you get. If you could not trade at all you'd have to make everything yourself and so starve to death or live a subsistence life style. Hence, the more with whom you trade the richer you get no matter if they are across the street or across the world.

Moreover, its exactly as Richard Nixon once said, "our goods have to be world class if we want to be a world class country". Imagine how backward our industry would be if it did not have to compete in the globalized market place? Our cars would be like soviet car were, i.e., you had to use a dip stick to check how much gasoline you had and back them up hill because carburetors were gravity fed. This is what the liberals, in effect, propose because they lack the ability to understand free trade.

the trade proposal I advocate

too stupid!! You advocate a tariff on imports which would make Americans poorer with higher prices, cause unemployment as other countries retaliated, and shield our industries from international competition making them, and our country, less than "world class."

As a liberal you simple lack the IQ to understand free trade:........................This is what the liberals, in effect, propose because they lack the ability to understand free trade.

You all, the proposed import Certificates, (ICs) are not tariffs. Although ICs share many similar characteristics, there are critical differences between ICs and tariffs.

The additions to prices passed to U.S. purchasers due to tariff are determined by the federal government.
Unless tariffs’ rates are extraordinarily high, they cannot insure that trade deficits of goods applicable to the tariffs would be eliminated. Extraordinarily high tariffs equate to extraordinarily great increased prices to USA purchasers of imported goods.

Under an IC policy, transferable ICs are issued to exporters of U.S. goods who choose to have their goods assessed and pay the federal assessment fees (that defray all federal direct expenses due to the IC trade policy).
Increased prices to U.S. purchasers of imported goods are due to the open IC market prices. The same market price that increases import prices to USA purchasers also is an indirect but effective subsidy of USA exported goods.

Unless tariffs’ rates, (i.e. unless import goods’ prices to U.S. purchasers) are extraordinarily high, they cannot insure USA’s trade deficits of goods applicable to the tariffs would be eliminated.
Regardless of IC’s open market prices, (i.e. even due to an IC penny price), USA’s trade deficit of aggregate goods applicable to assessment would be eliminated.

I do not believe that Edward Biaimonte is stupid or ignorant. I'm left with the alternative that he’s disingenuous.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited:

Forum List

Back