We need a "car talk" forum?

Can someone who is knowledgable with cars do a short 101 on vehicle maintenance?That would be really helpful and save folks money during these hard times.

I can jumpstart a car and check the oil, but other than that I am lost.

Recently, I've gotten better at listening for strange sounds like that whining you get when your power steering fluid gets low.

Also, I've come to believe that all the cars that call for high test gas can do well with regular gas. I save money and my two cars do ok on the regular unleaded.

a 101 for car maint?

check oil and fluids...before the winter check your antifreeze and test it...keep your transmition fluid checked..i like to keep my windshield wiper fluid full too. its real important to keep your oil checked and changed.

as far as gas...run it on the lowest grade you can..if it begins to "knock" then you may have to go back to the upper grades. i always run a container of gas cleaner thru in the winter and keep my gas level above 1/2 tank all winter. watch using the emergency brake in the winter...it can freeze up...dont force the stick if the grease is frozen...you just have to wait...

check your tire pressure and rotate your tires. keep a good spare. i always keep certain things in my car during the winter...jumper cables...know how to use them safely...extra clothes...winter boots...toss a few cliff bars in there..and a bottle or two of water....now you must understand i live in the mtns...we dont have nasty weather a lot but when we do it can be real bad. i am always ready to spend a few hours in the car if i must...remember if you are running the car...crack the window. with most people having cell phones you dont have to worry that much about being stuck. I am just overly paranoid since we have people die in their cars from the cold. part of the clothes ...simple ..a warm hat...so much of the bodys heat is lost throught the head.

check your battery....just make sure the posts are clean etc. a battery cell can go out and strand you pretty quick..know what to look for....are your headlights working...that will clue you that its a battery....carry extra fuses and know where your little fuse box is.
clean your windows and headlamps and brake lights...i use rain on them too.

basically maybe once a month just do a general check of your car. look for leaks etc when you move your car.. know what noises are serious and what noises arent. keep extra fluids in your car in the trunk. brake, power steering, antifreeze.

take a nice afternoon..drag the man out there...with your manual and look around..have him show you what is what....

i can change the tires...i can change the oil...chances of me doing either as long as there is a man on earth...zero

Can someone who is knowledgable with cars do a short 101 on vehicle maintenance?That would be really helpful and save folks money during these hard times.

I can jumpstart a car and check the oil, but other than that I am lost.

Recently, I've gotten better at listening for strange sounds like that whining you get when your power steering fluid gets low.

Also, I've come to believe that all the cars that call for high test gas can do well with regular gas. I save money and my two cars do ok on the regular unleaded.

Best site I've found for the novice on car maintenance and understanding what makes a car go (and stop). The Car Maintenance Bibles

Quick troubleshooting from Autozone. http://www.autozone.com.

And another from ACDelco. Troubleshooting | Service | ACDelco

About.com has a decent auto repair section. DIY Auto Repair Help - Car Maintenance, Troubleshooting, How To Tutorials

And here's a link to the forum I use when I'm stumped...Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums.

It's a Ford truck board but they are good folks, happy to answer any questions.

There are forums for almost every make and model. They are absolutely invaluable.

.​

Last edited:
I use Moble 1 synthetic oil in my cars.

It's kind of expensive compared to conventional fossil based oil.

Synthetic oils do not build up sludge in the engine like regular oils. Plus there is less engine wear during cold winter starts.

But if you start using it when the car is new or has low miles. You will have very little engine wear as the years go by.

If you car has over 100 thousand miles on it already. It has too much engine wear for a synthetic oil to help. Stick with regular oil and use straight W30 as it is thicker and provides more protection for an older engine, compared to 5W30 which is used for a newer engine.

o yea i got to have the real oil....i would use synthetic in a new car....you dont have to change the oil so much and that helps with the cost over all.

o lawdie now i got mrs shelia following me about for quarters....

i got my car back...let me add this all up for yall....250 labor....parts....183 in parts...$433.00...

when he put on the new master cyclinder it blew two brake lines....but yea that is what...one car payment...

paulie i hate caps ...i hate grammar...i hate rules lol.....

<--full of hate and bitterness ....short suddenly of quarters

a 101 for car maint?

check oil and fluids...before the winter check your antifreeze and test it...keep your transmition fluid checked..i like to keep my windshield wiper fluid full too. its real important to keep your oil checked and changed.

as far as gas...run it on the lowest grade you can..if it begins to "knock" then you may have to go back to the upper grades. i always run a container of gas cleaner thru in the winter and keep my gas level above 1/2 tank all winter. watch using the emergency brake in the winter...it can freeze up...dont force the stick if the grease is frozen...you just have to wait...

check your tire pressure and rotate your tires. keep a good spare. i always keep certain things in my car during the winter...jumper cables...know how to use them safely...extra clothes...winter boots...toss a few cliff bars in there..and a bottle or two of water....now you must understand i live in the mtns...we dont have nasty weather a lot but when we do it can be real bad. i am always ready to spend a few hours in the car if i must...remember if you are running the car...crack the window. with most people having cell phones you dont have to worry that much about being stuck. I am just overly paranoid since we have people die in their cars from the cold. part of the clothes ...simple ..a warm hat...so much of the bodys heat is lost throught the head.

check your battery....just make sure the posts are clean etc. a battery cell can go out and strand you pretty quick..know what to look for....are your headlights working...that will clue you that its a battery....carry extra fuses and know where your little fuse box is.
clean your windows and headlamps and brake lights...i use rain on them too.

basically maybe once a month just do a general check of your car. look for leaks etc when you move your car.. know what noises are serious and what noises arent. keep extra fluids in your car in the trunk. brake, power steering, antifreeze.

Strollingbones, thanks for taking the time to make such a thorough list! I will print it out and review it. Those fuse lights are a must. One time my husband (boyfriend at the time) were coming back from Poughkeepsie and we got stuck on the Taconic (no lights and very winding) with no headlights. Luckily we were able to get behind this one car and make it to a toll where we were able to change a fuse.

i got my car back...let me add this all up for yall....250 labor....parts....183 in parts...$433.00...

when he put on the new master cyclinder it blew two brake lines....but yea that is what...one car payment...

Don't worry about these grammar police. You're like the "e e cummings" of our message board.

:lol:

is one out there...if so move this to it....my car....a subie...1996...why you ask...well i hate car payments...i have made car payments for 4 years of my life and find it so totally oppressive i swore never to do it again....so i am doomed to life with used cars that i can pay cash for. right now my car is broke...bad bo bo...i was driving down the road..when suddenly the idiot light for the brake system comes on...but hey i got brakes..so we debate the course of action...since i have brakes its party on....but then i recall the words...."they are called idiot lights for a reason"....so i pull off and begin to search for the brake light cause..fluids...fine....brake lights...good to go...hmmm....still have brakes...well now they are mushy....yes mushy is a car talk word damn it..but they are beginning to drift to the floor...sillie me...i turn around and drive home....no party for me...next day i begin the drive to the mechanic and i am having to pump the brakes....not good...they have gone fast...of course by now we know its the master cyclinder...i love car talk when we can say master and slave....anyways i digress....

mechanic calls monday....well you need the following....master cyclinder....new....160 bucks....new strut....75 or 80 bucks...ball joint...geezes 50 bucks...well hello....i still got to pay the mechanic....
so i do what all good subie drivers do when the going gets tough...the tough get to the junk yard...master cyclinder used 30 bucks...strut 50 bucks...i a bit high but it was a done deal by my mechanic....long story there...

so my question..what do you drive and why...what is your attitude towards cars...do you drive a junker...in leiu of car payments or do you prefer the peace of mind a new car brings...or does it...how do you buy a car? my man lets me buy my own cars...is that normal? most people are shocked that i buy my own car and dont mind driving junkers. matter of fact i love my old cars.

so tell me about your car and your car philosophy...

I know one philosphy I have that I learned mega-years ago. Don't get used brake parts.:eusa_whistle:

I know one philosphy I have that I learned mega-years ago. Don't get used brake parts.:eusa_whistle:

i tried to find a new one....but if this master goes i will put on a new one from the subbie place....que surprise it would only be 149.45....*rolling eyes*

driving a clunker is not for the weak of heart

is one out there...if so move this to it....my car....a subie...1996...why you ask...well i hate car payments...i have made car payments for 4 years of my life and find it so totally oppressive i swore never to do it again....so i am doomed to life with used cars that i can pay cash for. right now my car is broke...bad bo bo...i was driving down the road..when suddenly the idiot light for the brake system comes on...but hey i got brakes..so we debate the course of action...since i have brakes its party on....but then i recall the words...."they are called idiot lights for a reason"....so i pull off and begin to search for the brake light cause..fluids...fine....brake lights...good to go...hmmm....still have brakes...well now they are mushy....yes mushy is a car talk word damn it..but they are beginning to drift to the floor...sillie me...i turn around and drive home....no party for me...next day i begin the drive to the mechanic and i am having to pump the brakes....not good...they have gone fast...of course by now we know its the master cyclinder...i love car talk when we can say master and slave....anyways i digress....

mechanic calls monday....well you need the following....master cyclinder....new....160 bucks....new strut....75 or 80 bucks...ball joint...geezes 50 bucks...well hello....i still got to pay the mechanic....
so i do what all good subie drivers do when the going gets tough...the tough get to the junk yard...master cyclinder used 30 bucks...strut 50 bucks...i a bit high but it was a done deal by my mechanic....long story there...

so my question..what do you drive and why...what is your attitude towards cars...do you drive a junker...in leiu of car payments or do you prefer the peace of mind a new car brings...or does it...how do you buy a car? my man lets me buy my own cars...is that normal? most people are shocked that i buy my own car and dont mind driving junkers. matter of fact i love my old cars.

so tell me about your car and your car philosophy...

Look at repair costs for an old car as car payments. How many month payments did you make to fix the brakes?

Forum List

Back