We Trade Our Lives For Money

I prefer a towed RV, because I like having my truck for transportation. Right now the market for RVs is shit. Everyone went and bought one for the covid quarantine. In a year the market will be flooded with cheap, used RVs. We are looking at another A-frame pop-up or a bigger travel trailer.
For sure I will get one I can toe with my F150. Something small but comfortable. If I get one it will be in 11 years.

I am just glad I am not in the commercial real estate business right now
I'm hoping strip mall landlords will be forced to lower their rent so new start ups can survive. Renting a piece of a strip mall is expensive. I hear a lot of small business owners work 4 weeks. 3 weeks pays all the bills. All they get is the 1 week for themselve$.

I wish it was a lot easier for small business' to start up.

I'm hoping strip mall landlords will be forced to lower their rent so new start ups can survive. Renting a piece of a strip mall is expensive. I hear a lot of small business owners work 4 weeks. 3 weeks pays all the bills. All they get is the 1 week for themselve$.

Maybe cut the government red tape you find in blue States to help them out a bit?

The most important jobs in any society will never be able to be done from home on a laptop.

Police officers? Fire fighters? Doctors? Nurses?

Remote teaching of children has been a complete failure.

Houses can’t be built remotely, or roads fixed.

The hoopla about some sort of shift to working from home is overblown and tiresome. It’s a fad.

Except some jobs can be done from home almost 90% of the time, with in person tasks being able to be done in spurts.

In Engineering, design can be done at home mostly, but Construction Management requires you to be onsite where the work is being done.

Maybe cut the government red tape you find in blue States to help them out a bit?

Yep, no red tape in them red states! :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

Is it possible for you to make even a single post that is not just partisan BS?

Are you capable of having a discussion that does not involved partisan politics?

I prefer a towed RV, because I like having my truck for transportation. Right now the market for RVs is shit. Everyone went and bought one for the covid quarantine. In a year the market will be flooded with cheap, used RVs. We are looking at another A-frame pop-up or a bigger travel trailer.
Did I tell you I have this 2 seat flat bottom boat? Up near my brothers property are 5 plus small rivers perfect for this boat. I love MI in the spring summer and fall. I'll take the RV thing down to Florida Jan1-April 1. If weather is looking good in Michigan I'll probably leave Florida mid March unless I'm having fun.

What I don't want to be is a senior who is stuck in one or the other. I don't envy people who live in MI year round or people who live in Florida year round. I envy the people who have a winter place in FL and leave in the spring. But I don't want to pay for a condo in Florida just for 3 months a year so a RV of some kind would be perfect. My brother will have a place I can shower proper and I'm sure the RV homes have all that stuff. And I know they aren't cheap either but I like being mobile and I can take it off and explore the USA.

But if you like/love what you do it isn't as bad.

That is the key.

If you can manage to figure out how to make money doing something you love and are going to do anyway ...
It's almost all gravy from there ... Even makes the parts that aren't all that great, well worth it.

Yep, no red tape in them red states! :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301: :laughing0301:

Is it possible for you to make even a single post that is not just partisan BS?

Are you capable of having a discussion that does not involved partisan politics?

Look up what you have to do to register a small business in LA vs. what you have to do in Billings Montana.

I think those will be less effected than the huge office buildings that fill many downtown areas of cities.

ATT has a huge office building in St Louis, along with some smaller ones. 50% of their customer service workforce is now working from home full time. They will shed those buildings soon.

Even the Fed Govt is moving to far more remote work to avoid paying people locality adjustments for living in DC when the work can be done from anywhere.

That is the key.

If you can manage to figure out how to make money doing something you love and are going to do anyway ...
It's almost all gravy from there ... Even makes the parts that aren't all great, well worth it.

For me, to retire means giving up $100K a year and now it's going to cost me at least $25K a year. Plus lose the healthcare.

I can't wait till I can do the math and realize I have enough to retire. Then I'll continue to work but not because I have to but because I want to. And that I hear is a great feeling. Everyone who's rich and works loves working. If not why would they be doing it?

I think those will be less effected than the huge office buildings that fill many downtown areas of cities.

ATT has a huge office building in St Louis, along with some smaller ones. 50% of their customer service workforce is now working from home full time. They will shed those buildings soon.

Even the Fed Govt is moving to far more remote work to avoid paying people locality adjustments for living in DC when the work can be done from anywhere.
Years ago we thought when the Lincoln Ford plant left the area the community was doomed. But eventually new buildings have popped up in that space. New business'. Not commercial. Not Subways and party stores. Real business'. Lots of manufacturing where I live still.

Did I tell you I have this 2 seat flat bottom boat? Up near my brothers property are 5 plus small rivers perfect for this boat. I love MI in the spring summer and fall. I'll take the RV thing down to Florida Jan1-April 1. If weather is looking good in Michigan I'll probably leave Florida mid March unless I'm having fun.

What I don't want to be is a senior who is stuck in one or the other. I don't envy people who live in MI year round or people who live in Florida year round. I envy the people who have a winter place in FL and leave in the spring. But I don't want to pay for a condo in Florida just for 3 months a year so a RV of some kind would be perfect. My brother will have a place I can shower proper and I'm sure the RV homes have all that stuff. And I know they aren't cheap either but I like being mobile and I can take it off and explore the USA.

It won't work with an F-150, but look at the truck campers. They provide what you want in a camper, if smallish. And slide into the bed of a 1 ton pickup (smaller pickup if you go with a smaller camper). Plus you can still tow with the truck.

Years ago we thought when the Lincoln Ford plant left the area the community was doomed. But eventually new buildings have popped up in that space. New business'. Not commercial. Not Subways and party stores. Real business'. Lots of manufacturing where I live still.

I hear ya. I am not sure what will take the space in these buildings, but I do wonder if they could not be redone to become residential. There seems to be a shortage of affordable living spaces to rent these days.

For me, to retire means giving up $100K a year and now it's going to cost me at least $25K a year. Plus lose the healthcare.

I can't wait till I can do the math and realize I have enough to retire. Then I'll continue to work but not because I have to but because I want to. And that I hear is a great feeling. Everyone who's rich and works loves working. If not why would they be doing it?

That is sort of where I am, though I have the healthcare covered for life thanks to being a Retired Marine.

I could retire in 4 years if I wanted to, by then I think I will have reached the goals we set for retirement savings. But my wife will not be ready to stop working as she only just started a decade ago and she truly loves being a nurse. Plus I work from home now and could literally work from an RV if I wanted to as long as I have a good enough internet connection so I think I will probably go another 10 with more travelling during that time. We are still helping our youngest out financially as he gets his career going, once that is out of the picture we will have nice little raise!

For sure I will get one I can toe with my F150. Something small but comfortable. If I get one it will be in 11 years.

R-Pod 180

1643728569724.png

Full bathroom in the back with standalone features.
Television and all the different ways to connect ... Including an antenna if you need to use that.
Central air hot or cold ... Indoor/Outdoor Stereo, Stove, Microwave, Fridge, Queen Sized Bed ... Plenty of room inside.

A Nissan Armada can haul it in the mountains.
20-21 foot ... Light, easy to maneuver, and will follow your vehicle like it is part of it.

I bought one for 14k at a place in Sherman, Texas.
Catch them at the right time when they are changing models ...
And they will sell it to you below cost just to get it off the lot.

Your F-150 will haul it.

Not A Paid Advertisement

Last edited:
It won't work with an F-150, but look at the truck campers. They provide what you want in a camper, if smallish. And slide into the bed of a 1 ton pickup (smaller pickup if you go with a smaller camper). Plus you can still tow with the truck.
Yea I won't get anything that a F150 isn't good enough for. OR, maybe one day I get a F250.

R-Pod 180

View attachment 595641

Full bathroom in the back with standalone features.
Television and all the different ways to connect ... Including an antenna if you need to use that.
Central air hot or cold ... Stove, Microwave, Fridge, Queen Sized Bed ... Plenty of room inside.

A Nissan Armada can haul it in the mountains.
20-21 foot ... Light, easy to maneuver, and will follow your vehicle like it is part of it.

I bought one for 14k at a place in Sherman, Texas.
Catch them at the right time when they are changing models ...
And they will sell it to you below cost just to get it off the lot.

Not A Paid Advertisement

That is freakin great to know. Now I know. $15K for my dream.

I love it when I realize my dreams aren't out of reach or unaffordable. I love river boating. I have a $500 flat bottom. I love hunting. I have state land 10 minutes from my home. I love Ebiking. I have one. I already have the pontoon. I have a Quad too but I could see needing a new one sooner or later. Let's call that $10K.

So for $15K I pretty much have everything I need/want. When I say NEED I mean to have my dream. Not need as in necessity. And I'm sure when I have everything I want, I'll want something else. But not really. I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I hear ya. I am not sure what will take the space in these buildings, but I do wonder if they could not be redone to become residential. There seems to be a shortage of affordable living spaces to rent these days.
Great idea. I love those business' where the person lives upstairs and the business is downstairs.

How about this. I would love it if people could own the buildings they occupy. So if a strip mall has 10 business', those 10 business' actually own the building. Like a condo only for small business owners. That way when they want to close or move, they can sell the property or their piece of it. And if they are in business 20 years, the price of the business will go up so they'll make money. Similar to condo vs an apartment. Why rent when you can own?

That is freakin great to know. Now I know. $15K for my dream.

I love it when I realize my dreams aren't out of reach or unaffordable. I love river boating. I have a $500 flat bottom. I love hunting. I have state land 10 minutes from my home. I love Ebiking. I have one. I already have the pontoon. I have a Quad too but I could see needing a new one sooner or later. Let's call that $10K.

So for $15K I pretty much have everything I need/want. When I say NEED I mean to have my dream. Not need as in necessity. And I'm sure when I have everything I want, I'll want something else. But not really. I'm pretty happy with what I have.

I forgot to add it is completely capable of going off the grid too.

Shoot ... You can set up in the desert, fire up the generator (bought separate), grill something to eat ...
Pull out the satellite receiver (bought separately), watch the football game outside under the canopy ...
Then go take a shower before you go to bed.

You can buy solar panels for it and it already has the hook-ups.

I forgot to add it is completely capable of going off the grid too.

Shoot ... You can set up in the desert, fire up the generator (bought separate), grill something to eat ...
Pull out the satellite receiver (bought separately), watch the football game outside under the canopy ...
Then go take a shower before you go to bed.

You can buy solar panels for it and it already has the hook-ups.

My buddy has an old sailboat in California. Sails out in the ocean you can't even see shore. How do they shower? You get 1 bottle of water. So they've been swimming in the ocean all day and they have salty bodies. They pour half the bottle in a plastic tarp. you lay in it and splash around. Then stand up and soap your body and shampoo your hair. Empty the dirty water off the tarp. Lay back in the tarp, body and hair full of soap and pour the other half of the water on your hair and then splash around to get the soap off your body. I'd probably insist on another bottle of water to finish the job. Can't stand having soap still on me after a shower.

Forum List

Back