What are you listening to?

500 Miles is a classic, I first heard and loved it by Peter, Paul, and Mary and, more recently in this version by Eric and Leon Bibb (father and son) - I love this version. It's full of longing and pain, and their voices are so beautiful. Plus, the video rounds it out. Enjoy :)

Josh Ritter - Idaho

I went to West Virginia on a song...I could do the same with Idaho :)

All that love all those mistakes
What else can a poor man make?
So I gave up a life of crime
I gave it to a friend of mine
Something else was on my mind
The only ghost I'm haunted by
I hear her howling down below
Idaho oh Idaho

Josh Ritter is a bit of an Idaho poet - he writes about places he knows, and thing's he's experience in an almost mystical way. Damn I wish he'd come to WV for a concert :) I like this one - Wings

....It's my home-last night I dreamt that I grew wings
I found a place where they could hear me when I sing.
And so they came with cameras-breaking through the morning mist
Press and businessmen-tycoons-Episcopal philanthropists
Lost in their appraisal of the body of a woman
But all we saw were lowlands-clouds clung to mountains without strings
And at last we saw some people huddled up against
The rain that was descending like railroad spikes and hammers
They were headed for the border-walking and then running
Then they were gone into the fog but Anne said underneath their jackets she saw wings

Daniel Lanois - French Canadian, this song I first heard on an episode of Northern Exposure (anyone remember that show? I loved it!) - this was from when they discovered what they thought was the frozen body of a long dead french explorer I think. Two versions of the song - both good :)

This was the song that took me to...and kept me in...West Virginia, my heart's home :)

• Thanks
Reactions: del
I first heard on an episode of Northern Exposure (anyone remember that show? I loved it!)

I absolutely loved the show... I am presently watching a comedy on Netflix and Maurice J. Minnifield (Barry Corbin) just happens to be one of the characters in the show...

In spirit of keeping the thread about music...

Forum List

Back