What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

So Pogo

The Ornette Coleman Quartet "R.P.D.D." from the 1962 album "Ornette!" released on Atlantic Records, the album was recorded in one day, January 31 1961 at the Atlantic Studios in New York.

This was Ornette Coleman's seventh album and the first not to feature Charlie Haden on bass, although later they would work together again. Scott LaFaro didn't live to see "Ornette!" released as he was killed in an auto accident on July 6 1961 at the age of 25 years-old.

Scott LaFaro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ornette Coleman on alto saxophone, Don Cherry on pocket trumpet, Scott LaFaro on bass and Ed Blackwell on drums.

The Ornette Coleman Quartet "Blues Connotation" from the 1961 album "This Is Our Music" released on Atlantic Records.

Ornette Coleman on alto saxophone, Don Cherry on pocket trumpet, Charlie Haden on bass and Ed Blackwell on drums.

Forum List

Back