What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

Dissing the second amendment with the first

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

Certainly not baking cakes

The promotion of low IQ xenophobia

Thomas Jefferson said it best

SIA2716.jpg
He is referring to independence and the British Empire.
Wrong again

He wrote it many years after the revolution
He also wrote the Declaration of Independence. Read it and see what he says about natural rights and the violation of those by the Crown.
Tell us
“Endowed by their Creator with certain new inalianable right...” aka “natural rights. The Declaration is a series of grievances against the tyrannical rule of the barbaric King. He quoted stirring up native groups to attack along the frontier killing men, women, and children. The King not recognizing colonial governments etc.
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Hapiness

So our government pursuing those in the interests of the general welfare meets the intent of our founders

The general promotion of white privilege

we have a Ninth Amendment; either it is Express or it isn't.
The Ninth Amendment doesn't cancel out the welfare clause. You're confused. Explain how the Ninth Amendment endorses Government run healthcare for everyone.
that is Your misinterpretation, bro.

The power to provide for the general welfare is general, not common.
You brought up the Ninth Amendment. What is the purpose of the Ninth Amendment?
Individual rights...including the implied right to privacy.
Yep, and nothing to do with the General welfare clause.
Everything to do with General Welfare Clause....that is the core of the Clause!

They ment no outside intervention, following the law, secured borders, stable living conditions, being careful not to violate the Constitution of America . States do not have the right to make Treaty s, or declare wars on each other. Very long list.

Wrong again

He also wrote the Declaration of Independence. Read it and see what he says about natural rights and the violation of those by the Crown.
Tell us
“Endowed by their Creator with certain new inalianable right...” aka “natural rights. The Declaration is a series of grievances against the tyrannical rule of the barbaric King. He quoted stirring up native groups to attack along the frontier killing men, women, and children. The King not recognizing colonial governments etc.

So our government pursuing those in the interests of the general welfare meets the intent of our founders
Taking rights from the states and the respective people there of...is not general welfare. The general welfare of the people involves the least amount of government intervention in their lives. Our nation was founded on individual liberty, states rights, and protection of those rights by a federal union made up of a sundry of the states.

Last edited:
If you look at the 2019 Budget (below), especially the Welfare and Medicaid line items, you see that the $900b deficit can be offset by reducing welfare and medicaid as well as other reductions, such as in Defense. While the economy is at its highest level, and at full employment, with jobs all over, we should really be sure that the recipients of welfare and medicaid are truly deserving, and are US citizens. IMHO the dems give out freebies too easily thereby ensuring that the dependency on their democrat plantations is assured. I'm hoping that Trump makes sure that there are more people pulling the wagon than riding in it.

2019 Federal Budget $4.04T

Mandatory spending $2.74T
Social Security $1,050b
Medicare $625b
Medicaid $412b
Welfare $462b

Interest on the Debt $363b

Discretionary $1.3T
Defense $893.0
HHS $70.0
Education $59.9
VA $83.1
Homeland $52.7
Energy Dept $29.2
NNSA $15.1
HUD $29.2
State Dept $40.3
NASA $19.0
All Other Agencies $133.1
I could know about 100 off the list. Just get rid of the dept they made in the 60s/

In a white nation? How dare they?
I bet Japan is promoting the Japanese...ya think?

Okay, where is the immigrant history and where is the Statue of Liberty in Japan?

I’ll wait

Okay, where is the immigrant history and where is the Statue of Liberty in Japan?

I’ll wait

Naturalization Act of 1790
Our founders intent for this nation was made crystal clear...Grab your straight jacket and look it up.

Wrong again

Tell us

The States should have pursued that..............and had the states decided what is best for them they would have had to find a way to pay for it...........as they don't have access to the printing press..............They would be far less likely to do it when the bills come due......................

The Federal Gov't was limited for a reason..............to stop corrupt assholes from getting too much power.......and using it for their own personal financial gain..............handing out money for whatever and whomever they please...............

What we have today was not the intent of the Founding Fathers.

I’ll wait
Unsustainable Population Increase

And another 200 million plus are ready to escape the shitholes below the border..........More also enter legally but then overstay their visa's................which has led to a population explosion here for decades........with a high percentage receiving gov't safety net money.........increasing the growing burden of budget of the federal and State Gov'ts................

And there is a legal path...........that has been abused for decades............for cheap labor........which fucks over Americans to get higher wages.........Dems bitch about no wage growth and then allow illegals to work here causing the same problem they complain about......Stupidity in motion.........

Before Republicans comment on such topics they need to catch up to reality.

Red states are economic basketcases for following failed conservative policies for the last 150 years.

Most of them are horribly polluted and dangerous to raise children in because of the nasty pollution.

Then there’s the lack of education.

In fact it’s so bad in so many red states that in the entire Appalachian area infant mortality rates are rising and life expectancy is falling.

Republican conservatism is not really a failed policy. It’s a disguised policy. The whole point of it is to fuk most Americans and everything they do is aimed at helping needy billionaires.
The only blue congressional district in my state is also the poorest, by far. It has an over 20% use of food stamps and elects someone that couldn't get hired to shine shoes in the Capitol. He damn sure couldn't get elected if he didn't have the built in guarantee of a district with an over 60% black population.

It's about time those monkeys start supporting themselves instead of demeaning white people do it.

Wrong again

Tell us

Taking rights from the states and the respective people there of...is not general welfare. The general welfare of the people involves the least amount of government intervention in their lives. Our nation was founded on individual liberty, states rights, and protection of those rights by a federal union made up of a sundry of the states.

Some things are more efficient when done at the federal level. The founders soon realized that relying on each state to form a militia is not an effective way to defend the country
Other things are more efficient at the state level. We don’t rely on federal universities
Then other things are more efficient at the local level. We don’t want the federal government plowing snow off your roads

Let’s just stop the bullshit and allow government to perform functions where they are most efficiently and effectively done

Tell us

Some things are more efficient when done at the federal level. The founders soon realized that relying on each state to form a militia is not an effective way to defend the country
Other things are more efficient at the state level. We don’t rely on federal universities
Then other things are more efficient at the local level. We don’t want the federal government plowing snow off your roads

Let’s just stop the bullshit and allow government to perform functions where they are most efficiently and effectively done
Effective......

bwahahahahahaha

Forum List

Back