What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
Our welfare clause is general because it must be comprehensive enough to provide a general solution for any contingency. FDR proved this is the Case in our federal republic; thank Goodness FDR was a left winger.

FDR twisted the Constitution to fit his wants. Woodrow Wilson, a huge liberal, lamented the fact that our Constitution was not set up for a progressive government. At least he was being honest. After him, they basically twisted the meaning of the Constitution to get what they wanted.

Mark

if you all had more than nothing but repeal, you would be coming up with better solutions at lower cost.

access to healthcare is a natural right in a First World economy; may not in any less developed economy.
still poor writing skills. wow. dude, you should learn how many votes it takes to make the change in the Senate. just saying playing stupid daily gets you know where.
ad hominems are worthless under any form of capitalism.
I know cause you don't understand factual information. that's on you though. but hey thanks for all the credits.
fallacy has no fact; or you would have a good argument instead of only ad hominems.
perhaps you could write in english and I'd answer.
you have to question not claim affirmative action.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
The general welfare clause must be comprehensive to address any contingency; and, our Founding Fathers indicated we should be proactive.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Wrong. Our founders thought nothing of the kind.

“If Congress can apply money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may establish teachers in every State, county, and parish, and pay them out of the public Treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post roads. In short, every thing, from the highest object of State legislation, down to the most minute object of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress; for every object I have mentioned would admit the application of money, and might be called, if Congress pleased, provisions for the general welfare.”

James Madison, on the House floor during debates on a Cod Fishery bill [February 1792]

Mark

Our welfare clause is general because it must be comprehensive enough to provide a general solution for any contingency. FDR proved this is the Case in our federal republic; thank Goodness FDR was a left winger.

FDR twisted the Constitution to fit his wants. Woodrow Wilson, a huge liberal, lamented the fact that our Constitution was not set up for a progressive government. At least he was being honest. After him, they basically twisted the meaning of the Constitution to get what they wanted.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Our welfare clause is Expressly enumerated General, not Common.

still poor writing skills. wow. dude, you should learn how many votes it takes to make the change in the Senate. just saying playing stupid daily gets you know where.
I know cause you don't understand factual information. that's on you though. but hey thanks for all the credits.
fallacy has no fact; or you would have a good argument instead of only ad hominems.
dude, what the fk are you talking about? :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:

The general welfare clause must be comprehensive to address any contingency; and, our Founding Fathers indicated we should be proactive.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Wrong. Our founders thought nothing of the kind.

“If Congress can apply money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may establish teachers in every State, county, and parish, and pay them out of the public Treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post roads. In short, every thing, from the highest object of State legislation, down to the most minute object of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress; for every object I have mentioned would admit the application of money, and might be called, if Congress pleased, provisions for the general welfare.”

James Madison, on the House floor during debates on a Cod Fishery bill [February 1792]

Mark
The left understands the Terms; the general welfare is not the general warfare or the common offense.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark

dude, what the fk are you talking about? :auiqs.jpg::auiqs.jpg:
your incompetence.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

dude, you have no idea what you just wrote. too fking funny. loonie tuned you are if I can use a phrase from yoda.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark
The power to provide for the general welfare is General not Common. General must be Comprehensive in this Context.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

dude, you have no idea what you just wrote. too fking funny. loonie tuned you are if I can use a phrase from yoda.
dude; only in right wing fantasy do You know what I wrote, better than Me.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

I have no idea what you're writing. I played along, I'm done now. good day idiot.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark
The power to provide for the general welfare is General not Common. General must be Comprehensive in this Context.

What does that even mean?

Mark

Mark
right wing propaganda?

I have no idea what you're writing. I played along, I'm done now. good day idiot.
nothing but incompetence from the right wing. why ever should we take them seriously.

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark

Mark
do you know how to use a dictionary?

Mark
right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark

Mark

In context to what you believe it means in our Constitution?

Mark

right wing propaganda?

Explain?

Mark

Mark

In context to what you believe it means in our Constitution?

Mark
Our general welfare clause is general, not Common or Limited. It must be so, to promote the general welfare.

So far we’ve learned that Daniel thinks “general welfare” should mean we can all own Ferrari’s and eat like kings by staying at home and smoking weed while others bust their ass for us.

I say it would fall within constitutional guidelines if we offered welfare seeking lowlifes a taxpayer bought tent, fishing pole and bus ride to a resource rich forest. Prove me wrong please.

No body thinks that 'General Welfare' means everyone gets a Ferrari or anything close. You seem to suffer from paranoid delusions.

At one time people in this country DID basically go out to 'resource rich forests' and make their own way. We had the Homestead act...whereby the government promoted exactly what your saying. However, there really isn't any significant 'resource rich' forests left that hasn't been bought up and few people have the skills needed to survive that way.

While the vast majority of people that collect from government programs would like to become self sufficient...and many even hold full time jobs that do not pay enough for them to survive, there are some lowlifes that have no intention of ever getting off those programs.

So the real solutions are:

1. For business to pay a living wage to all employees - no one that works for a living should have to collect government checks just to survive.

2. For the private sector to provode 100% employment at reasonable wages and with reasonable benefits.

3. For the few that never want to work, the government should provide some meager income - not for their sake, but so the rest of us don't have to live with beggars and thieves. There should be a HUGE difference between the incomes of working people and those that collect government benefits.

But try not to get too upset about 'welfare seeking lowlifes'. There really aren't that many of them and they only get a tiny portion pf the federal budget.

Worry more about government contractors milking taxpayers royally - they not only live off our tax dollars for doing next to nothing, but they live as billionaires off of your hard work.

So far we’ve learned that Daniel thinks “general welfare” should mean we can all own Ferrari’s and eat like kings by staying at home and smoking weed while others bust their ass for us.

I say it would fall within constitutional guidelines if we offered welfare seeking lowlifes a taxpayer bought tent, fishing pole and bus ride to a resource rich forest. Prove me wrong please.

No body thinks that 'General Welfare' means everyone gets a Ferrari or anything close. You seem to suffer from paranoid delusions.

At one time people in this country DID basically go out to 'resource rich forests' and make their own way. We had the Homestead act...whereby the government promoted exactly what your saying. However, there really isn't any significant 'resource rich' forests left that hasn't been bought up and few people have the skills needed to survive that way.

While the vast majority of people that collect from government programs would like to become self sufficient...and many even hold full time jobs that do not pay enough for them to survive, there are some lowlifes that have no intention of ever getting off those programs.

1. For business to pay a living wage to all employees - no one that works for a living should have to collect government checks just to survive.

2. For the private sector to provode 100% employment at reasonable wages and with reasonable benefits.

3. For the few that never want to work, the government should provide some meager income - not for their sake, but so the rest of us don't have to live with beggars and thieves. There should be a HUGE difference between the incomes of working people and those that collect government benefits.

But try not to get too upset about 'welfare seeking lowlifes'. There really aren't that many of them and they only get a tiny portion pf the federal budget.

Worry more about government contractors milking taxpayers royally - they not only live off our tax dollars for doing next to nothing, but they live as billionaires off of your hard work.

"Nobody thinks that everyone should get everything provided for..."

"Except for me".

"Nobody thinks that everyone should get everything provided for..."

"Except for me".
our general welfare clause is general enough to solve for capitalism's natural rate of unemployment in a market friendly manner; compensation is all that is necessary and proper.

Forum List

Back