What did rodmen and axmen do?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Here is the phrase I encountered listed as employment: Unskilled chainmen, rodmen, and axmen, surveying

Chainmen used to measure with a chain from what I gather. I can't picture the chain but I think that is what it is about. The other two: rodmen and axmen I have never heard of before.

Here is the phrase I encountered listed as employment: Unskilled chainmen, rodmen, and axmen, surveying

Chainmen used to measure with a chain from what I gather. I can't picture the chain but I think that is what it is about. The other two: rodmen and axmen I have never heard of before.

Rodmen just stuck his rod in her, while axemen axed her first if he could.

I don't understand all I know about the subject.

I'm guessing common laborer ... a strong back to haul equipment around in rough terrain ... outdoor work, any weather ... sounds like fun if you're looking for a trade ...

The axeman cuts down vegetation that's in the way. The rodman just stands around holding a stick watching the axeman do all the work.

The axeman cuts down vegetation that's in the way. The rodman just stands around holding a stick watching the axeman do all the work.

So the axeman beats the bush, while the rodman just stands there holding his stick?

:auiqs.jpg:

Those terms have been around for a long time.

If you are on a gov't survey crew (Corp of Engineers), you have separate axmen and rodmen. Most crews just have a party chief, instrumentman (or I-man) and one or two rodmen. The rodmen take measuring rods out the I-man uses the instruments to take the measurements. The rodmen also cut line to remove the brush (or trees). The party chief and I-man usually stay dry. The rodmen wade creeks, swamps, and all manner rough terrain.

I worked on a survey crew for several year when I was young. Hard ass work, but a good time too.

So the axeman beats the bush, while the rodman just stands there holding his stick?

Yep. And the cameraman films the action.

1605326133917.jpeg

The surveyor's compass (1) was used to tell direction and locate a straight line between two points. ... The surveyor's assistant, called a rodman or poleman, used a pole (3) about ten feet in length, held upright at a distant point from the surveyor and his compass.
1605325977265.png

IN.gov › history
IHB: Surveyors Lead the Way - IN.gov

The surveyors moved along the meridian line using two sets of measuring chain for accuracy, comparing measurements at every half-mile and mile station. Flagmen marked the line with cloth strips. The surveyors ran the solar compass, or the transit, and recorded calculations. Axemen marked bearing trees and hewed posts. The chainmen came next, unfolding the heavy wire sections of bundled Gunter's chain. Then, stretching the chain taut for accuracy over uneven ground, they measured the line.
Oregon Land Survey, 1851-1855

Yep. And the surveyor films the action.

View attachment 415860

That is a theodolite. One of the main instruments in surveying. YOu can turn angles (to figure out exact coordinates) and measure distance.

One of my great-greats left his wife and eight kids home to find gold in '49, didn't pan out (pun intended) but didn't come home--spent 30 years surveying in Washington Territory. He was the actual surveyor, according to the business directory. It was cool learning a little more about it--thanks!

One of my great-greats left his wife and eight kids home to find gold in '49, didn't pan out (pun intended) but didn't come home--spent 30 years surveying in Washington Territory. He was the actual surveyor, according to the business directory. It was cool learning a little more about it--thanks!

My brother is a licensed surveyor. It can get pretty involved, depending on what sort of work you are doing.

Surveyor's Chains are for measuring distance ... also called Gunter's Chain.

The chain was used in conjunction with the rods to measure grade / incline.

The axemen, is the name implies, used axes to clear the line of site for surveying.

Forum List

Back