What do Evangelicals want in a president? Character and transparency

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2009
It doesn't matter what Evangelical's want or anyone else for that matter.

The kind of person we need to run this Country (1) would never take the job;
and (2) would not be "crooked" enough to win an election......

I disagree with your first point. I think there are lot's of qualified and honest people who would take the job. But I do agree with your second point, we would never elect them.

Interesting question as what they want may even contradict what they would like to see. Consider for some all you need to say is, you are for school prayer and/or are anti-abortion, and you have their vote. meanwhile the fox is stealing their livelihood. Imagine if a broad outline of positions on a host of issues were presented and decided on? Ain't gonna happen, our tabloid nation is only concerned with attractive nonsense. And the average voter is busy with life....

I disagree with your first point. I think there are lot's of qualified and honest people who would take the job. But I do agree with your second point, we would never elect them.

One ties into the other actually.
Since the "right" person knows they would have to compromise to win (and to function in the office if they did win), they would not want the job....

Since the "right" person knows they would have to compromise to win (and to function in the office if they did win), they would not want the job....

Not really. The second is about the fact that we, the voters, will not vote for anyone who will tell us the truth. We insist upon being lied to. An honest person would be willing to compromise. Any honest person will recognize that only a dictator gets it all his own way and that compromise is essential to democratic government. But tell a voter that and you can kiss the election goodbye. Only liars get in office because we won't elect anyone who won't lie. And the biggest lie of all is that it is the fault of the politicians.

Not really. The second is about the fact that we, the voters, will not vote for anyone who will tell us the truth. We insist upon being lied to. An honest person would be willing to compromise. Any honest person will recognize that only a dictator gets it all his own way and that compromise is essential to democratic government. But tell a voter that and you can kiss the election goodbye. Only liars get in office because we won't elect anyone who won't lie. And the biggest lie of all is that it is the fault of the politicians.

alternatively a honest person might realize that walking away from a "compromise" might means he loses now, but that the issue can be revisited once the results of the wrong policy is seen.

and without being tainted by the policy, he can more honestly attack it.

Not really. The second is about the fact that we, the voters, will not vote for anyone who will tell us the truth. We insist upon being lied to. An honest person would be willing to compromise. Any honest person will recognize that only a dictator gets it all his own way and that compromise is essential to democratic government. But tell a voter that and you can kiss the election goodbye. Only liars get in office because we won't elect anyone who won't lie. And the biggest lie of all is that it is the fault of the politicians

I agree - we "allow" the politicians to get away with it.
Revolution and reform driven by the people is necessary to effect any change for the good.
However, because most people are living comfortable lives in this country, I don't see anything changing.

alternatively a honest person might realize that walking away from a "compromise" might means he loses now, but that the issue can be revisited once the results of the wrong policy is seen.

The President himself (or herself) doesn't have enough power to make the changes happen that need to happen.
PratchettFan is right -- that is up to us,
But, we are too lazy and/or stupid to take up the charge.

Not really. The second is about the fact that we, the voters, will not vote for anyone who will tell us the truth. We insist upon being lied to. An honest person would be willing to compromise. Any honest person will recognize that only a dictator gets it all his own way and that compromise is essential to democratic government. But tell a voter that and you can kiss the election goodbye. Only liars get in office because we won't elect anyone who won't lie. And the biggest lie of all is that it is the fault of the politicians

Revolution and reform driven by the people is necessary to effect any change for the good.
However, because most people are living comfortable lives in this country, I don't see anything changing.

one also has to give some blame to the media that lies to the people, a lot, all the time.

The President himself (or herself) doesn't have enough power to make the changes happen that need to happen.
PratchettFan is right -- that is up to us,
But, we are too lazy and/or stupid to take up the charge.

agreed. i was actually more imagining a bunch of congressmen refusing to sign on to bad policies.

better to lose a fight than sign on just to be on the winning side.

I am not saying we allow politicians to get away with it. We insist they do. We require it. We demand it. We don't give the politicians a choice. At the first sign of honesty, we fire them.

I do agree this will not change so long as we are living comfortable lives. We have become spoiled.

one also has to give some blame to the media that lies to the people, a lot, all the time.

No. The "media" is just a collection of businesses in the business of selling soap. They sell soap by making people watch, so they put on what the people want to watch. If they told us the truth, we'd turn the channel to a show (an apt term) that told us the lies we want to hear. It is all us. We are lied to because the only thing we will listen to are lies.

No. The "media" is just a collection of businesses in the business of selling soap. They sell soap by making people watch, so they put on what the people want to watch. If they told us the truth, we'd turn the channel to a show (an apt term) that told us the lies we want to hear. It is all us. We are lied to because the only thing we will listen to are lies.

THe idea the people are pure creatures of logic, that are motivated solely by self interest is nonsense.

If you doubt the leftist media bias then you are lying to yourself.

THe idea the people are pure creatures of logic, that are motivated solely by self interest is nonsense.

An excellent example to demonstrate my point. Thank you.

Not really. If the media was dominated by conservatives, would you believe that their pure self interest would lead them to suppress their biases?

Not really. If the media was dominated by conservatives, would you believe that their pure self interest would lead them to suppress their biases?

Yes. You need to step back from what you have been told to think and do a little research of your own. Begin by looking into just who actually owns the media. Get past the talking heads who just read the script.

If anyone believes the far right media is anymore honest than the leftist media does not do constructive thinking well. The media, however, gets away only with what the public allows. Most foliks view or listen to those who put out their own brand of prejudiced vision.

People like to talk and complain, but not act.
As evidenced on this board... and am an admittedly guilty party.
So, we get what we deserve.
Do nothing. Get nothing.... or get what you deserve anyway......

Forum List

Back