Zone1 What Do Gods Really Want and Why?

Would it be for the same reason atheists need to validate their beliefs?
Do those who believe in all the gods, a few gods, or just one god have any idea why gods expect adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

If you believe that atheists need to validate their beliefs, what form does that take?

Asked and answered already, so what is your explanation?
No, but i respect your inability to answer for the gods.

Fallible human beings are subject to error, especially those who insist they speak on behalf of any god.

Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

Why would any self-respecting deity (omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal) care?
my answer: He doesn't.

He doesn't even seem to care that the world is saturated in evil-doing. he doesn't intervene to stop children from being molested or murdered in the womb. That's because He gave us this world and gave us freedom to choose how we would live our lives. And that is also the reason there is absolutely NO excuse for doing evil. An evil act informs us humans that it is indeed an evil act. And if we fail to listen to our consciences about that act and just keep doing it, we will lose all grace to resist that sin or any other in the future and then if we do not repent, we will end up in Hell--by our own doing

You must have missed Post #4

Why do fallible human beings celebrate birthdays, New Years, Thanksgiving, Mothers' Day....
No, you did not explain why gods would expect adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.

I do not presume to address your diversionary inquiries.

Another who thinks that true love is wrapping someone up in soft cotton batting and placing them on a shelf, out of reach, where nothing can harm them. As for me...I'll take the ups and downs.
Yeah, some people just dont understand genocide and murdering babies is out of love lolz

my answer: He doesn't.

He doesn't even seem to care that the world is saturated in evil-doing. he doesn't intervene to stop children from being molested or murdered in the womb. That's because He gave us this world and gave us freedom to choose how we would live our lives. And that is also the reason there is absolutely NO excuse for doing evil. An evil act informs us humans that it is indeed an evil act. And if we fail to listen to our consciences about that act and just keep doing it, we will lose all grace to resist that sin or any other in the future and then if we do not repent, we will end up in Hell--by our own doing
The gods may well not care, but the presumption that they expect adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc. is a widespread human belief.

I'm curious as to why any fallible human would presume to know the wishes of gods?

Self-appointed spokespeople for the notoriously aloof various divinities all seem to indicate they crave human validation.

Why such coy seekers of adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

Why would any self-respecting deity (omnipotent, omniscient, and eternal)
care?
I think it is good to question what our purpose in life here on earth is. From The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint perspective, God could never create us to be perfect beings and thus uses a means of teaching us how to become perfect. In our faith we believe that the intelligence of mankind was never create or made and neither indeed can be. In other words, our intelligence is self-existing. Since God could not create our intelligence, He could not create it to be perfect. However, we do have the capacity to improve our lot in life. God is as perfect a being as one can become. For us to improve our lot and become more like God, we need to learn to become good beings in and of ourselves. Thus the need for free will. One can only become a truly good being by choosing to be good of his own free will and choice. Otherwise we would be nothing but puppets. Free will is critical. To love and be loved is one of the great aspects of existence which brings us joy and happiness. God is a being who loves. He took our eternal intelligences and through the process of procreation he caused that our intelligences were to be combined with spiritual matter to form the spirits that are within our bodies. In other words, our spirits are the literal offspring of God.

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

As the children of God, God loves us and wants us to progress to become like him.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

For us to become perfect like our Father in heaven, we must learn to choose good over evil and learn to love one another. This mortal life is a chance for us to improve our character and become more like our Father in Heaven. We are give free will to choose good over evil and we are also give the chance to experience good and evil by living through a mortal world. This life is a school ground for us to experience good and evil and learn to choose the good over the evil. Thanks to God, he has provided a mean whereby if we make mistakes we can change from doing evil to doing good and receive forgiveness for our past faults. God also provided a mean whereby we will all be resurrected to an immortal state with bodies of flesh and bones. Thus we will be able to look back on this mortal life as a temporary school ground to see if we would choose good over evil. Again, to truly become a good being in and of ourselves, we must learn to choose, of our own free will and choice, to be good beings. Free will is critical. The consequence of free will is that some will choose evil over good and not reach their full potential. God is merely giving us the chance to become the best we are willing to become. In the end we will all live again immortally and not be subject to the ills of this temporary existence we experience now. We often look at this life as difficult and painful. Most all of us will suffer death and many other hardships in this life. This is all to give us knowledge and experience for our eternal progression and will come to end. We will eventually live forever immortally and not have to suffer these things in the hereafter. We will all look back and maybe have some laughs as we remember our mortality.

Jesus is known as the way, the truth, and the life. All we need to do to be successful is follow him in his teachings and his example in life to be successful in ours.

The gods may well not care, but the presumption that they expect adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc. is a widespread human belief.

I'm curious as to why any fallible human would presume to know the wishes of gods?
There is only ONE God.

And I myself would never presume to say what God wants other than he wants us to be holy, as he is holy, or as Mt 5:48 says, "Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect".. not that being absolutely perfect is possible.. but that's what Purgatory is for.. to get someone straightened out who loves Jesus but didn't exactly follow him perfectly.

Anyhow, there is a reason for the way the Catholic Church (and I am not speaking of theVatican which hasn't been Catholic in some 65 years or more but there is a reason the Church) does the rituals. It stems from the Jewish rituals. If you read the Old Testament you will see how God wanted things done this way or that.. for example he had Moses et al put together the Ark of hte Covenant and then instructed that no one could touch it but the priests (Levites). When a non-Levite touched it, he was struck dead. Does that seem odd to Catholics as well as non-Cs? Yes..

Who understands God? No one.. Anyone who says he understands God is lying, whether he knows it or not..

You're cause for atheists to celebrate their choice on whether or not to be believers. We (I) have no need for your rage and your torment.

with love,
But my point is what would be wrong with that? Is there some universal code of conduct you expect others to follow? And if they don't follow it is there something wrong with that?

Do those who believe in all the gods, a few gods, or just one god have any idea why gods expect adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?

If you believe that atheists need to validate their beliefs, what form does that take?
What difference does that make to you how people choose to worship? Is that your business?

The form your validation takes is posting in a religious forum.

I think it is good to question what our purpose in life here on earth is. From The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint perspective, God could never create us to be perfect beings and thus uses a means of teaching us how to become perfect. In our faith we believe that the intelligence of mankind was never create or made and neither indeed can be. In other words, our intelligence is self-existing. Since God could not create our intelligence, He could not create it to be perfect. However, we do have the capacity to improve our lot in life. God is as perfect a being as one can become. For us to improve our lot and become more like God, we need to learn to become good beings in and of ourselves. Thus the need for free will. One can only become a truly good being by choosing to be good of his own free will and choice. Otherwise we would be nothing but puppets. Free will is critical. To love and be loved is one of the great aspects of existence which brings us joy and happiness. God is a being who loves. He took our eternal intelligences and through the process of procreation he caused that our intelligences were to be combined with spiritual matter to form the spirits that are within our bodies. In other words, our spirits are the literal offspring of God.

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

As the children of God, God loves us and wants us to progress to become like him.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

For us to become perfect like our Father in heaven, we must learn to choose good over evil and learn to love one another. This mortal life is a chance for us to improve our character and become more like our Father in Heaven. We are give free will to choose good over evil and we are also give the chance to experience good and evil by living through a mortal world. This life is a school ground for us to experience good and evil and learn to choose the good over the evil. Thanks to God, he has provided a mean whereby if we make mistakes we can change from doing evil to doing good and receive forgiveness for our past faults. God also provided a mean whereby we will all be resurrected to an immortal state with bodies of flesh and bones. Thus we will be able to look back on this mortal life as a temporary school ground to see if we would choose good over evil. Again, to truly become a good being in and of ourselves, we must learn to choose, of our own free will and choice, to be good beings. Free will is critical. The consequence of free will is that some will choose evil over good and not reach their full potential. God is merely giving us the chance to become the best we are willing to become. In the end we will all live again immortally and not be subject to the ills of this temporary existence we experience now. We often look at this life as difficult and painful. Most all of us will suffer death and many other hardships in this life. This is all to give us knowledge and experience for our eternal progression and will come to end. We will eventually live forever immortally and not have to suffer these things in the hereafter. We will all look back and maybe have some laughs as we remember our mortality.

Jesus is known as the way, the truth, and the life. All we need to do to be successful is follow him in his teachings and his example in life to be successful in ours.
You express your views on one religion and, necessarily one god, but do not venture to answer the question, "Why are gods believed to seek adulation in the form of relentless rituals, songs, fancy garb, processions, edifices, shindigs, assorted gestures, etc., etc., etc.?"

There is only ONE God.

And I myself would never presume to say what God wants other than he wants us to be holy, as he is holy, or as Mt 5:48 says, "Be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect".. not that being absolutely perfect is possible.. but that's what Purgatory is for.. to get someone straightened out who loves Jesus but didn't exactly follow him perfectly.

Anyhow, there is a reason for the way the Catholic Church (and I am not speaking of theVatican which hasn't been Catholic in some 65 years or more but there is a reason the Church) does the rituals. It stems from the Jewish rituals. If you read the Old Testament you will see how God wanted things done this way or that.. for example he had Moses et al put together the Ark of hte Covenant and then instructed that no one could touch it but the priests (Levites). When a non-Levite touched it, he was struck dead. Does that seem odd to Catholics as well as non-Cs? Yes..

Who understands God? No one.. Anyone who says he understands God is lying, whether he knows it or not..
I do not speculate regarding how many gods exist.

Your recognition of only one of the gods is not unique, but does not address the question regarding the widespread practices by which gods are validated, nor their apparent need to be.

Forum List

Back