What do you pay for housing?

Andrew_Jackson_FTW

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 12, 2022

That was the topic of C-SPAN this morning. It’s the most important topic in the country. Nobody can deny that’s the cost of living. That is what defines the American dream.

People from across the country and the political divide pretty much all said that they are paying much more for housing under Biden compared to what it was under Trump. One lady from San Diego county said that under Trump a house in her area was around $400,000. Those same houses are going for 900,000 under Biden.

In response we have seen some Democrats laugh about this issue, mock working-class people ….brag about owning a home for decades. Obviously these issues of today don’t really affect them, but they are affecting millions and millions of Americans.

Another issue brought up would be private investment firms buying up homes all over the country. This has gotten out of control and is contributing to the rise in prices. We already had the unnecessary lockdowns due to a overreaction to Covid , which came along with unnecessary stimulus payments….which contributed to a high inflation rate….but private investment firms buying up homes is something that needs to be countered if not banned.

The private investment firms are buying up homes and then jacking up the rent way beyond the true value of the home.

We have also seen a rise and the popularity of “tiny homes”. Houses that are 300 or 400 ft.². That’s not really America. That sounds like communism or something really ugly. We don’t need that in this country.

In New Orleans where the minimum wage is $7.25 the price of rent and homeownership is sky high.

A 1bedroom apartment is ranging from $1500-$1800 for rent. Out of state home owners(corporations) are asking for 250-300k for 800 square-foot homes.

Unless these issues are confronted by a pro American government, it will continue to get worse and we can say goodbye to the American dream.

There’s quite a few employee people in the New Orleans area who are living in homeless shelters. They’re working… they just can’t afford the cost of living.

In New Orleans where the minimum wage is $7.25 the price of rent and homeownership is sky high.

A 1bedroom apartment is ranging from $1500-$1800 for rent. Out of state home owners(corporations) are asking for 250-300k for 800 square-foot homes.

Unless these issues are confronted by a pro American government, it will continue to get worse and we can say goodbye to the American dream.
Or just redefine the American Dream to exclude home ownership.

Let a generation die off and everything becomes normal.
They (the 'anonymous authority') say that with the passing of the baby boomers will come the biggest transfer of wealth in history. What is now in investment instruments will turn to cash in the hands of their heirs, then watch prices take off like a rocket.

Or just redefine the American Dream to exclude home ownership.
Not sure if you’re being facetious, but there’s something to that.

The American Dream can be living in a nice place, having enough money to go on a pleasant vacation (like a week in a beach rental), owning a car (unless you live in a major city with plenty of public transportation), being able to afford going out to dinner every once in a while, and so forth.

My property taxes are now more than my P&I.
I know Lisa? I thought owning my own home as I got older--- but just paying for it-- Is as bad as rent!

I am seriously trying to hang on? a price of an egg --- Is the least of MY worries?

I look at the property taxes going up 700 bucks-- almost FAINTED- my electric bills- internet? wtf- hey Biden-harris? go away?

Don't force me into your fake EV car crap- These weirdos are outta their tree--- do not tell me your green energy mandates-

Please tell me why a woman like me? Wants to ditch my oil car- buy one of those things- fiancé it for years? at about 500 a month- How many years?

I could buy a ton of gas- 500 a month could buy ME SO much gas- I could drink it? libs are Frauds
and when the power goes out...... your ev's are dead? OOPs

Last edited:
My kid has the same job my dad had. Teacher. My dad owned a house, a car and we had up to eleven kids with my mom a housewife the first 22 years of that situation.
My kid can’t afford to live in a group house.
How old is your kid? And where does he live?

A friend of mine is in her 60s, earns over 100k, drives a Lexus, and gets summers off. Maybe your kid needs to move to an area where they pay teachers a lot.

OTOH, there are rust belt towns with historic homes in need of repair and restoration that can be had for under $50k. Problem is when they’re in dysfunctional states like Illinois with property taxes out the roof.
Our house in Maryland (also dysfunctional) is assessed at over ten times the house in Illinois but the taxes on the Illinois property are nearly half as much as the house in Maryland.
Both states are democrat-run, BTW.

People from across the country and the political divide pretty much all said that they are paying much more for housing under Biden compared to what it was under Trump. One lady from San Diego county said that under Trump a house in her area was around $400,000. Those same houses are going for 900,000 under Biden.

Way to go Biden. more than doubled the value of that persons home.

That is awesome.

How old is your kid? And where does he live?

A friend of mine is in her 60s, earns over 100k, drives a Lexus, and gets summers off. Maybe your kid needs to move to an area where they pay teachers a lot.
My kid currently lives with us and he’s 32. He and his roommates had to move out of their Mt Pleasant house because the rent became too much. He teaches private so the salary is not as grand. The school has to actually earn its money as opposed to public schools.

OTOH, there are rust belt towns with historic homes in need of repair and restoration that can be had for under $50k. Problem is when they’re in dysfunctional states like Illinois with property taxes out the roof.

They are all over the place in Indian and Ohio.

My kid currently lives with us and he’s 32. He and his roommates had to move out of their Mt Pleasant house because the rent became too much. He teaches private so the salary is not as grand. The school has to actually earn its money as opposed to public schools.
Maybe you can encourage him to work for a public school. Age 32 is not a “kid”! That’s a grown man. My dad had two kids by age 32.

Also, can’t your kid rent a room in a 4-bedroom house, with each person paying $1000 a month? Or certainly a 3-bedroom townhouse for the same money. Plenty of townhouses around for $3000!

I say there are options. As you can tell, I’m very opposed to grown adults in their 30s living with their parents. It’s infantalizing the “adults” and not doing them any favor.

Forum List

Back