🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What DOES the US Fed. Govt do Well?

I think we are getting off topic .

Here's the deal . Us has the oldest running gov in the world . And our county is doing awesome .

Something must be working !

Oldest government in the world? We only had our government for a couple of centuries. How do you figure we are the oldest?

that just shows they lost money.....it has nothing to do with are they self supporting ...above you said they are not self supporting...i asked you to prove that....so prove it....simple question...

Over the past 10 years, they have lost over $50 billion. Where does that money come from?

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

The United States Postal Service's financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

Post office officials have often attributed the losses to the decline in demand for first class mail in favor of more efficient modes of communication, and congressional mandates that the USPS do things like deliver mail on Saturdays and to unprofitable parts of the country. In fact, the USPS claims that if it weren't for such requirements, it would more or less break even.

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually. These include:

U.S. Post Office gets an $18 billion gift from taxpayers every year

Because of our advanced communications today, we don't need mail delivery every day. We would do fine with mail delivery every other day. Years ago people waited for important documents that needed to be addressed immediately. Today, people get their bills and important information through email.

For people that use mostly electronic communication, what comes in snail mail anyway besides junk mail nobody wants? I'm sure they could save a ton on money with bi-daily mail instead of six day a week mail.
we don't need mail delivery every day
tell that to the corporations who get 10-11 tubs of mail per day.....and that junk mail?.....i used to get people asking me where the ads are...and i mean quite often....

I know people like that, but it wouldn't kill them to get those ads one day later.
most ads are time sensitive....the only thing i wanted the PO to either ban or charge 1st class rates for was political mail....those basterds took advantage of their franking privileges....it was time consuming and cost a lot of OT....

did you have a front address and a back one?.....

They are both the same address. But there is a front house and a rear house. They put our mail in the right boxes, but then just tosses the rear houses mail in our boxes in the front house. On Tuesday all the advertising and junk mail comes out, the asshole even gives me two sets of those. There are so many advertisements that after he (or she) does that, it keeps my mailbox top open, and if it rains on a Tuesday, all my important mail gets wet.
ray if there is a delivery in the back,there should be something telling the carrier that.....when i first started in down town in the older part of town the front add would be say 900 south street the back would be 9001/2....so they know there is a box in the back.....

They do know it's in the back. My tenant uses "rear house" with everybody that's going to send him mail. Last couple of times I checked. Every piece of mail said "rear house" on it. There are only two houses on the property, so it's not real hard to figure out if somebody is confused where it goes.
if it has a delivery it should have its own address....does the city and PO know this house is even there ray?....the reason im asking is because "rear house" is not a legitimate address....the city should give you a number for that house...

And that would make them look at the house to find it? How do you divide two houses on one property? The property is on one parcel. Unless the property is divided into two parcels, there is only one legal address for the property provided by the county for property tax purposes.

So you're a mail carrier. You come to a property that clearly has an address on it. You have three names of people to deliver to. The front house has the names of the two people living there. The other has the name of somebody that has the address marked "rear" or "rear house" and the carrier can't figure that one out???

Maybe the PO should have an IQ test before hiring carriers. I mean......even a six year old would be able to figure out that problem.
its not a legit address ray.....if it has a delivery point it is supposed to have number,thats all im saying....if i was your carrier i would deliver but if that route has an audit,where a supervisor goes out with you to see what your route is like,how long,how many deliveries,things like that,they have a route map with them showing every address on your route and if that back house got mail that day and is not on that route map....he will ask why it doesnt have a number and will report it as a missing address and a report will be sent to the city to correct it....that all im saying....

that just shows they lost money.....it has nothing to do with are they self supporting ...above you said they are not self supporting...i asked you to prove that....so prove it....simple question...

Over the past 10 years, they have lost over $50 billion. Where does that money come from?

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

The United States Postal Service's financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

Post office officials have often attributed the losses to the decline in demand for first class mail in favor of more efficient modes of communication, and congressional mandates that the USPS do things like deliver mail on Saturdays and to unprofitable parts of the country. In fact, the USPS claims that if it weren't for such requirements, it would more or less break even.

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually. These include:

Because of our advanced communications today, we don't need mail delivery every day. We would do fine with mail delivery every other day. Years ago people waited for important documents that needed to be addressed immediately. Today, people get their bills and important information through email.

For people that use mostly electronic communication, what comes in snail mail anyway besides junk mail nobody wants? I'm sure they could save a ton on money with bi-daily mail instead of six day a week mail.
tell that to the corporations who get 10-11 tubs of mail per day.....and that junk mail?.....i used to get people asking me where the ads are...and i mean quite often....

I know people like that, but it wouldn't kill them to get those ads one day later.
most ads are time sensitive....the only thing i wanted the PO to either ban or charge 1st class rates for was political mail....those basterds took advantage of their franking privileges....it was time consuming and cost a lot of OT....

I don't understand your reply. Are you saying that political runners don't pay for their mailings to constituents? If so, I never heard of that before.

As for time sensitive junk mail, most vendors have sales for a week or so. Many restaurants usually have coupons for a month or more. So I believe that if they got their junk mail Wednesday instead of Tuesday, nobody would miss a thing. If the PO could cut their workforce in half and still get the same job done, it would only benefit the Post Office.

they can take better care of those if they treated them like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have been pissed right along with you ray...i could never understand the PO 's policy on so many things...

I think what they need is to advance in technology. I don't know how the post office does it, but every time I see UPS drop off at one of my stops, they have like an I-Pad thing that the receiver signs. It has the time, how many pieces they received, and various other information on it. I'm assuming it goes into a central computer system.
this is what i was talking about earlier....when scanning tech came out in the early 90's,UPS and Fedx were right there and invested....the PO had to ask congress to invest in this.....5 years later when they got the ok,UPS and Fedx were already on the 3 rd generation scanners......congress holds them back with their bullshit committees to approve things...

Well if the post office supports their own, why would they need our tax dollars for scanners and computers?
they dont.....they have to get permission to do any thing major....basically they have to get permission on how they spend their money....

Permission from who? Permission or not, if they have to use public tax dollars to upgrade or maintain operations, then they are not self-sufficient. They are using taxpayer money.
they dont use tax dollars ray....like i said they have to get permission from congress to spend their own money on major investments....

They are both the same address. But there is a front house and a rear house. They put our mail in the right boxes, but then just tosses the rear houses mail in our boxes in the front house. On Tuesday all the advertising and junk mail comes out, the asshole even gives me two sets of those. There are so many advertisements that after he (or she) does that, it keeps my mailbox top open, and if it rains on a Tuesday, all my important mail gets wet.
ray if there is a delivery in the back,there should be something telling the carrier that.....when i first started in down town in the older part of town the front add would be say 900 south street the back would be 9001/2....so they know there is a box in the back.....

They do know it's in the back. My tenant uses "rear house" with everybody that's going to send him mail. Last couple of times I checked. Every piece of mail said "rear house" on it. There are only two houses on the property, so it's not real hard to figure out if somebody is confused where it goes.
if it has a delivery it should have its own address....does the city and PO know this house is even there ray?....the reason im asking is because "rear house" is not a legitimate address....the city should give you a number for that house...

And that would make them look at the house to find it? How do you divide two houses on one property? The property is on one parcel. Unless the property is divided into two parcels, there is only one legal address for the property provided by the county for property tax purposes.

So you're a mail carrier. You come to a property that clearly has an address on it. You have three names of people to deliver to. The front house has the names of the two people living there. The other has the name of somebody that has the address marked "rear" or "rear house" and the carrier can't figure that one out???

Maybe the PO should have an IQ test before hiring carriers. I mean......even a six year old would be able to figure out that problem.
its not a legit address ray.....if it has a delivery point it is supposed to have number,thats all im saying....if i was your carrier i would deliver but if that route has an audit,where a supervisor goes out with you to see what your route is like,how long,how many deliveries,things like that,they have a route map with them showing every address on your route and if that back house got mail that day and is not on that route map....he will ask why it doesnt have a number and will report it as a missing address and a report will be sent to the city to correct it....that all im saying....

It is a legitimate address. That's the address of the house. What more can you do to make it more legitimate????

I can't believe there is a supervisor three days a week with a carrier. What I believe is that carriers are lazy and want to cut time by making me do their job. These houses were built in the 1920's. Are you saying that for nearly a century, the back house is not on the postal route map? If so, that sounds like incompetency by the post office to me, especially if multiple complaints are registered with the post office.

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

I don't understand your reply. Are you saying that political runners don't pay for their mailings to constituents? If so, I never heard of that before.

As for time sensitive junk mail, most vendors have sales for a week or so. Many restaurants usually have coupons for a month or more. So I believe that if they got their junk mail Wednesday instead of Tuesday, nobody would miss a thing. If the PO could cut their workforce in half and still get the same job done, it would only benefit the Post Office.
they pay real cheap rates and they abuse the fuck out of it by the amount they send out...its called franking....

The congressional franking privilege, which dates from 1775, allows Members of Congress to transmit mail matter under their signature without postage. Congress, through legislative branch appropriations, reimburses the U.S. Postal Service for the franked mail it handles......and cut the workforce in half and still get the same job done?....are serious?.....so one guy now carries 3 routes?.....some routes have 4 hour street times.....and thats not counting the office time to get the route ready to deliver...

I think what they need is to advance in technology. I don't know how the post office does it, but every time I see UPS drop off at one of my stops, they have like an I-Pad thing that the receiver signs. It has the time, how many pieces they received, and various other information on it. I'm assuming it goes into a central computer system.
this is what i was talking about earlier....when scanning tech came out in the early 90's,UPS and Fedx were right there and invested....the PO had to ask congress to invest in this.....5 years later when they got the ok,UPS and Fedx were already on the 3 rd generation scanners......congress holds them back with their bullshit committees to approve things...

Well if the post office supports their own, why would they need our tax dollars for scanners and computers?
they dont.....they have to get permission to do any thing major....basically they have to get permission on how they spend their money....

Permission from who? Permission or not, if they have to use public tax dollars to upgrade or maintain operations, then they are not self-sufficient. They are using taxpayer money.
they dont use tax dollars ray....like i said they have to get permission from congress to spend their own money on major investments....

Markle posted a site stating that the PO IS subsidized by the government. Are you saying his post is false or inaccurate? If they are not using tax money, why would they need Congresses permission to spend their own?

It is a legitimate address. That's the address of the house. What more can you do to make it more legitimate????

I can't believe there is a supervisor three days a week with a carrier. What I believe is that carriers are lazy and want to cut time by making me do their job. These houses were built in the 1920's. Are you saying that for nearly a century, the back house is not on the postal route map? If so, that sounds like incompetency by the post office to me, especially if multiple complaints are registered with the post office.
it has to have number ray.....its own number....if the city has allowed this for all these years and never corrected it then they are at fault.....

they pay real cheap rates and they abuse the fuck out of it by the amount they send out...its called franking....

The congressional franking privilege, which dates from 1775, allows Members of Congress to transmit mail matter under their signature without postage. Congress, through legislative branch appropriations, reimburses the U.S. Postal Service for the franked mail it handles......and cut the workforce in half and still get the same job done?....are serious?.....so one guy now carries 3 routes?.....some routes have 4 hour street times.....and thats not counting the office time to get the route ready to deliver...

I don't understand that. If the government is paying for the postage of those congressional people, how is the PO not getting paid?

Markle posted a site stating that the PO IS subsidized by the government. Are you saying his post is false or inaccurate? If they are not using tax money, why would they need Congresses permission to spend their own?
did you read what the so called subsidies are?...the US Government owns the PO ray,so everything has to go through them....

it has to have number ray.....its own number....if the city has allowed this for all these years and never corrected it then they are at fault.....

The city doesn't give addresses--the county does. If a structure is sitting on a parcel of 999 main street, WTF is the city supposed to do about that? What is the county supposed to do about that?

Fed Ex finds the place. UPS finds the place. The police and fire can find the place, Mapquest can find the place, but the PO can't??? They need some sort of special address because they don't have the intelligence to decipher a front house from a back house on the same address?

I don't understand that. If the government is paying for the postage of those congressional people, how is the PO not getting paid?
they pay real cheap rates.....ray the only thing i can tell you is come down at election time and see how much of that shit is there and the time it takes to put it up and then your regular mail....a lot of ot ray.....i did my route in 8 hours most days....during election time i would out there 10-11 hours just about every day until the shit was over.....it dont pay its way....

did you read what the so called subsidies are?...the US Government owns the PO ray,so everything has to go through them....

Okay, everything has to go through them, but then the PO is not self-supported. They are supported by US tax dollars. The PO is not a separate entity, they are part of government hence the OP's post.

they pay real cheap rates.....ray the only thing i can tell you is come down at election time and see how much of that shit is there and the time it takes to put it up and then your regular mail....a lot of ot ray.....i did my route in 8 hours most days....during election time i would out there 10-11 hours just about every day until the shit was over.....it dont pay its way....

This is the first I've heard of that. Makes me wonder why most politicians hand out their own flyers (by sticking them in between the doors, in the screen door, or putting them in the mailbox) bypassing mail charges. If they are not paying their "fair share" then they should be; not that it would help the PO any in regards to labor time.

What does this bankrupted corporate entity that is owned by international bankers that we call the "federal gubermint" do well? They excel at robbing, raping, pillaging and plundering not only the serfs here but other countries that have resources that they covet while using our soldiers as cannon fodder. That is why the military industrial complex spends more on (snicker) "defense"than the other top 22 countries combined and how can they do that since it is bankrupted? Simple, because after the Bretton Woods agreement , the fiat dollar was the world's reserve currency and when the Fed printed more dollars than they had gold? They told countries that wanted to exchange their dollars for their country's gold "Too bad, so sad.....the bank is closed" thus Nixon took us off the gold standard but made a deal with the oil rich nations to only sell their oil in dollars...thus the era of the petro dollar and any country that didn't like accepting fiat currency with no intrinsic value for their oil could count on our military to come over and open up a can of democracy on them.....outside of that? This "gubermint" ain't worth a shit.

Okay, everything has to go through them, but then the PO is not self-supported. They are supported by US tax dollars. The PO is not a separate entity, they are part of government hence the OP's post.
the PO is an "establishment"of the executive branch of the Government of the United States and is controlled by Presidential appointees (the board of governors) and the Postmaster General....... The Postal Service receives NO tax dollars for operating expenses and relies on the sale of postage, products and services to fund its operations......and it has some deals with UPS and Fedx were all 3 work together to benefit them all....

Forum List

Back