🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What DOES the US Fed. Govt do Well?

That's why it's broke. :badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
its broke because they wont let them make a profit.....
It's supposed to be that way

which is why I use UPS and Fed Ex
Better service better pricing because they actually have to care about their customers the Post office doesnt
better pricing?.....i think thats pretty debatable....and i had many people over the years on my route complaining about the "better" service they got at UPS and Fedx....talking to the drivers on my route from the two....it seems they have quite a few problems on the delivery side themselves....

My problem with them is how they handle packages. A few years back I sent a DVD recorder to Panasonic for repair. I took it to the UPS store, and no questions asked. A few weeks later I called Panasonic to get a time frame when they would return it, and they couldn't find the damn thing. Eventually they realized it was in the damaged goods department, and they said the thing was totaled.

They shipped it back to the UPS store and they gave it back to me. Since I insured the thing, I told them they owed me $300.00. The manager said that UPS's claim was that I didn't package it properly. So I asked the manager why would they not advise me if I did not package it correctly when they took the box?

He agreed by the looks of the thing it was badly handled, so he gave me the money and said he would fight it out with UPS. But UPS wanted to fight me all the way.

I know how to package things. I'm a truck driver and I've had my share of freight that was damaged because of how it was shipped. I made sure nothing was going to happen to that unit. I'll never ship anything like that with UPS again. They damaged the product, I bought the insurance, and they didn't want to pay up. The reason I bought the insurance is because I've seen how their drivers handle packages many times.
on my route a fedx driver delivered a guys computer to the wrong house and just left it at the door,he delivered it to the right number,just the wrong street,both streets have the same numbers,well it also happens that house was vacant and it rained like hell over the weekend so the thing was drenched....all 3 deliverers have fuck ups....

No, it's broke because technology is making them extinct. It's also broke because nobody there seems to give a shit when problems arise.

Maybe it is just you? I have zero complaints about the post office.

I won't deny that you don't. But how would it be just me? I'm not imagining that other peoples mail ends up in my mailbox. I'm not imagining that I have to go to the proper apartment to do the job they didn't do. I'm not imagining that I get threatening letters from my lending institution because they didn't get my check. So what am I doing wrong?
like i said ray it sounds like you dont have regular carrier,if you do the guy sucks....

He really sucks. You don't have to be a regular carrier to match the names of the mail with the names on the mailbox.
i dont know what to tell you ray.....on my route in my NBU boxes i would have a card inside the vacant ones that said in big giant words ...VACANT....the subs,not my relief carrier,the subs, would still throw mail in.......

No. The reason it is broke is the federal government requiring it to pre-fund all of the employee retirement benefits, something it requires of no other government organization or private business.

Yes, that's true, but only to make sure it isn't a problem for the taxpayer down the road if they need a rescue.

The PO is their own worst enemy. So many times when they lost my mail I was tempted (or actually did) start paying more of my bills online. Last week I complained about the carrier putting one of my tenants mail in my mailbox. All the mailboxes are clearly marked with the tenants name, but the lazy SOB doesn't want to walk to the next unit to put his mail in the proper box. The woman said she would contact the carrier, and it was fine for about three days. After that, the same shit.

Today I went down there to see if they could trace an envelope I sent two weeks ago where the agent stated they never got it. It had very personal information in it such as my pay stubs, my income tax returns, my insurance companies and so on. They said without the receipt (that I lost) they couldn't do a thing even though the envelope had to be signed for. I should have Fed-Ex'd it.
sounds like you dont have a regular....if you do the person sucks.....

Irrelevant. How regular do you have to be to put the mail in the proper mailbox? I can teach an 8 year old how to do that. Just look at the name on the envelope, match it to the name on the mailbox, and like magic, the mail is properly delivered.
yea it is relevant...a regular carrier who has been on the route awhile knows where everyone is names or not on the boxes and can do his route,usually, in 8,most of them anyway,the reserves are pushed to get done in 8 hours and then go help carry routes that are down,because not enough carriers and if you are on routes you dont know,you can fuck up real easy......and that letter that was "lost" they should have been able to find it, if it was certified....and fedx fucks up too,i have seen that quite a bit on my route...

What I was hoping for is that they could cross reference it somehow if I provided the address I sent it to. She told me there was no way to do that, nor could I do it on the USPS internet site. She said if I don't have the tracking number, I'm just screwed. Since it had to have a signature, I assumed they could just punch in the address somehow and see how many letters were sent that needed a signature, and then work from there.
was it certified or registered?....

which is why I use UPS and Fed Ex
Better service better pricing because they actually have to care about their customers the Post office doesnt
better pricing?.....i think thats pretty debatable....and i had many people over the years on my route complaining about the "better" service they got at UPS and Fedx....talking to the drivers on my route from the two....it seems they have quite a few problems on the delivery side themselves....
Never had a problem with UPS
The Post Office though closes down everyday for a nap with no concern for the needs of the customers

I have yet to see a UPS Store closed at lunch time for a siesta
every post office i ever worked in never closed for lunch.....so does your PO have 1 clerk working the window?......

There are 4 within driving distance of me and 3 close for a siesta and as far as I can tell more than one person works in all of them but one. And the one with one person doesn't close for siesta she just eats her PB&J during the slow periods of the day.

I never understood the need to sit on your ass for an hour just to eat a sandwich you can eat in 5 minutes.
unless there is a sign at the door with their hours and it says they close at lunch....then they dont close...around were i worked none close for lunch,the clerks take turns going....
Which is why the post office is what it is.

No business that needs to make money to succeed closes in the middle of the day for siesta

No, it's broke because technology is making them extinct. It's also broke because nobody there seems to give a shit when problems arise.

I won't deny that you don't. But how would it be just me? I'm not imagining that other peoples mail ends up in my mailbox. I'm not imagining that I have to go to the proper apartment to do the job they didn't do. I'm not imagining that I get threatening letters from my lending institution because they didn't get my check. So what am I doing wrong?

Attitude perhaps? :D

Pay bills on-line. Most of the time you get instant confirmation that they got paid.

Well, you are correct there. But as I said earlier, it's the Post Office that's killing the Post Office.
well the congress and their micromanaging and ridiculous rules and regulations actually..........

Never had a problem with UPS
The Post Office though closes down everyday for a nap with no concern for the needs of the customers

I have yet to see a UPS Store closed at lunch time for a siesta
every post office i ever worked in never closed for lunch.....so does your PO have 1 clerk working the window?......

There are 4 within driving distance of me and 3 close for a siesta and as far as I can tell more than one person works in all of them but one. And the one with one person doesn't close for siesta she just eats her PB&J during the slow periods of the day.

I never understood the need to sit on your ass for an hour just to eat a sandwich you can eat in 5 minutes.
unless there is a sign at the door with their hours and it says they close at lunch....then they dont close...around were i worked none close for lunch,the clerks take turns going....
Which is why the post office is what it is.

No business that needs to make money to succeed closes in the middle of the day for siesta
like i said the ones out here that i worked in closed at 5,otherwise someone was at the windows....

The Post Office funds itself.

POSTAL SERVICES SEEKS CHANGES
The Postal Service said it had made "significant cost reductions in areas within its control" by 2011 but claimed it needed Congress to approve several other measures to boost its financial outlook.

Those measures include eliminating mandated retiree health benefit pre-payments; forcing the federal government to return Civil Service Retirement System and Federal Employee Retirement System overpayments to the Postal Service and allowing the Postal Service to determine the frequency of mail delivery.

POSTAL SERVICE NET INCOME/LOSS BY YEAR
  • 2011 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2010 - $8.5 billion loss
  • 2009 - $3.8 billion loss
  • 2008 - $2.8 billion loss
  • 2007 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2006 - $900 million surplus
  • 2005 - $1.4 billion surplus
  • 2004 - $3.1 billion surplus
  • 2003 - $3.9 billion surplus
  • 2002 - $676 million loss
  • 2001 - $1.7 billion loss
Why Does the Us Postal Service Lose Move Every Year?

Isn't that what I said?

Where does the billions of dollars in losses come from? That would be we, the tax payer. That is NOT self-supporting.
prove the PO is not self supporting...

The Postal Service said it had made "significant cost reductions in areas within its control" by 2011 but claimed it needed Congress to approve several other measures to boost its financial outlook.

Those measures include eliminating mandated retiree health benefit pre-payments; forcing the federal government to return Civil Service Retirement System and Federal Employee Retirement System overpayments to the Postal Service and allowing the Postal Service to determine the frequency of mail delivery.

You are leaving out the context - a manufactured crisis by Republicans.

A Manufactured ‘Crisis’: Congress Can Let The Post Office Save Itself Without Mass Layoffs Or Service Reductions

Both the news media and a number of politicians have claimed recently that the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) is in “crisis,” and that it is necessary to lay off thousands of workers or reduce service in order to make the post office fiscally stable. And the Post Office itself has proposed laying off as many as 120,000 employees and withdrawing from federal health care plans in order to navigate upcoming fiscal crunches.

It is true that USPS is facing fiscal challenges — it lost nearly $20 billion over the last four years and is at risk of not being able to meet a $5.5 billion mandated payment to the Treasury at the end of this month (which has been put off six weeks thanks to the last continuing resolution in Congress).

But what has been lost in the political debate over the Post Office is why it is losing this money. Major media coverage points to the rise of email or Internet services and the inefficiency of the post model as the major culprits. While these factors may cause some fiscal pain, almost all of the postal service’s losses over the last four years can be traced back to a single, artificial restriction forced onto the Post Office by the Republican-led Congress in 2006.

At the very end of that year, Congress passed the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006 (PAEA). Under PAEA, USPS was forced to “prefund its future health care benefit payments to retirees for the next 75 years in an astonishing ten-year time span” — meaning that it had to put aside billions of dollars to pay for the health benefits of employees it hasn’t even hired yet, something “that no other government or private corporationis required to do.”

As consumer advocate Ralph Nader noted, if PAEA was never enacted, USPS would actually be facing a $1.5 billion surplus today:

More: A Manufactured ‘Crisis’: Congress Can Let The Post Office Save Itself Without Mass Layoffs Or Service Reductions

How is properly funding retirement and health care benefits to future retirees, so the money is available when it is needed, is a bad thing?

Your brilliant idea of PROCRASTINATION is telling future retirees, yep, we promised you a pension and healthcare but guess what? WE ARE NOW BROKE so you're on your own.

The state of California is following your suggestion. How has that worked out for them?

California’s $400 billion debt worries analysts
By Melody Gutierrez
February 6, 2016 Updated: February 6, 2016 2:53pm

SACRAMENTO — California has come a long way to dig itself out of budget deficits, but the state remains on shaky ground due to nearly $400 billion in unfunded liabilities and debt from public pensions, retiree health care and bonds, financial analysts say.

“Yes, the state’s budget is balanced if you are looking at what they are required to spend cash on this year, but not when you look at their expenses,” said Gabe Petek, a credit analyst with Standard & Poor’s.

MORE BY MELODY GUTIERREZ
The high debt and unfunded liabilities have resulted in the state’s rating lagging behind other states, Petek says. California saw its bond rating rise last year from A+ to AA-, the highest level the state has had in 14 years. Good bond ratings are a sign of a strong budget and financial management and allow states to pay lower interest rates when selling bonds.

“Compared to other states, though, California has one of the lower ratings,” Petek said.

And the reason is clear, he said. It’s California’s debt and liabilities that are concerning financial analysts, particularly the state’s rapidly growing unfunded retiree health care costs, which grew more than 80 percent over the past decade. California has promised $74 billion more in health and dental benefits to current and retired state workers than the state has put aside.

[...]

California’s $400 billion debt worries analysts

Isn't that what I said?

Where does the billions of dollars in losses come from? That would be we, the tax payer. That is NOT self-supporting.

I did. Are you working to prove that you have no comprehension skills?

Isn't that what I said?

I did. Are you working to prove that you have no comprehension skills?
wow was it something i said?.....you proved nothing dipshit....you just put up your opinion.....maybe you should learn what the word prove means....

Overall the Post Office does a good job but extremely inefficiently.

They had the same attitude as the newspapers before the internet. We're (Postal Service) your only choice, take the service we deliver or go elsewhere.

UPS came along and said, hey, there's a niche for people who are not delivering a tractor trailer load of product to one location. So they slipped in and took all those profitable packages away from the postal service.

I have been a Realtor since 1974. I can recall an overnight letter was unheard of. I have taken a letter to the Grayhound terminal, paid an outrageous fee to have it delivered from Tallahassee to Miami by the next day. The recipient had to meet the bus at the Miami terminal. Sign, notarize and send it back on the bus to Tallahassee. I personally have driven all day and back at night from Tallahassee to West Palm Beach, across the state to Sarasota (well south of Tampa and then five more hours driving back to Tallahassee to close that morning I got back.

Fed Ex saw the same thing and filled that niche. It was AFTER the Postal Service ignored that demand that they came up with their own overnight service. Now I can email documents to California, the recipient signs and sends the original back by Fed Ex overnight. Send to California on Tuesday, have it back in our office Wednesday.

Has the post office learned anything? Not really. I'm convinced that each post office has a treadmill in the back set to a casual walk. As part of a new employees training, they have to learn to walk at that slow, casual pace. Above that, they get an electrical shock.

Yes, that's true, but only to make sure it isn't a problem for the taxpayer down the road if they need a rescue.

The PO is their own worst enemy. So many times when they lost my mail I was tempted (or actually did) start paying more of my bills online. Last week I complained about the carrier putting one of my tenants mail in my mailbox. All the mailboxes are clearly marked with the tenants name, but the lazy SOB doesn't want to walk to the next unit to put his mail in the proper box. The woman said she would contact the carrier, and it was fine for about three days. After that, the same shit.

Today I went down there to see if they could trace an envelope I sent two weeks ago where the agent stated they never got it. It had very personal information in it such as my pay stubs, my income tax returns, my insurance companies and so on. They said without the receipt (that I lost) they couldn't do a thing even though the envelope had to be signed for. I should have Fed-Ex'd it.

Irrelevant. How regular do you have to be to put the mail in the proper mailbox? I can teach an 8 year old how to do that. Just look at the name on the envelope, match it to the name on the mailbox, and like magic, the mail is properly delivered.
yea it is relevant...a regular carrier who has been on the route awhile knows where everyone is names or not on the boxes and can do his route,usually, in 8,most of them anyway,the reserves are pushed to get done in 8 hours and then go help carry routes that are down,because not enough carriers and if you are on routes you dont know,you can fuck up real easy......and that letter that was "lost" they should have been able to find it, if it was certified....and fedx fucks up too,i have seen that quite a bit on my route...

What I was hoping for is that they could cross reference it somehow if I provided the address I sent it to. She told me there was no way to do that, nor could I do it on the USPS internet site. She said if I don't have the tracking number, I'm just screwed. Since it had to have a signature, I assumed they could just punch in the address somehow and see how many letters were sent that needed a signature, and then work from there.

Certified.

Pay bills on-line. Most of the time you get instant confirmation that they got paid.

Well, you are correct there. But as I said earlier, it's the Post Office that's killing the Post Office.
well the congress and their micromanaging and ridiculous rules and regulations actually..........

Word . They can't even close down post offices without a local congressman putting a stop to it.

And they HAVE to service the whole country! They just can't say "fuck off alaska, you freaks are too far out ."

Certified.
ok they dont take care of those like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have recommended you send it registered.....everyone who puts their hands on those things have to sign for it so they would have known who had it last....and it would have been insured for what value you put on it.....

like i said ray it sounds like you dont have regular carrier,if you do the guy sucks....

He really sucks. You don't have to be a regular carrier to match the names of the mail with the names on the mailbox.
i dont know what to tell you ray.....on my route in my NBU boxes i would have a card inside the vacant ones that said in big giant words ...VACANT....the subs,not my relief carrier,the subs, would still throw mail in.......

There are times when it's understandable, for instance, when somebody sends mail to a former tenant and the carrier has no idea where it goes. Or when we have a heavy snow. No problem, that's a tough job in the winter time, I can walk to the other apartments and deliver it for ya. I can sympathize.

But on a beautiful day, when every address on the letter states the address and it's marked "rear" or "rear house" I mean come on. The damn thing is only thirty feet away for crying out loud. How can the carrier not see it? They won't even walk up to it to see what the name on the mailbox is.

So okay, I understand there are dopes in every field of work; there certainly are in mine, but when I complain to "whoever" at the post office, I expect them to correct the problem. Take the issue to a supervisor. Test the carrier to see if they are illiterate or not. Something!

It's like Markle said, it seems like they don't give a shit.

Certified.
ok they dont take care of those like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have recommended you send it registered.....everyone who puts their hands on those things have to sign for it so they would have known who had it last....and it would have been insured for what value you put on it.....

Nothing of value so no insurance. But like I said, the lady at the PO told me there is no way to trace it without a tracking number.

Word . They can't even close down post offices without a local congressman putting a stop to it.

And they HAVE to service the whole country! They just can't say "fuck off alaska, you freaks are too far out ."
many of the smaller hardly used ones should have been shut down years ago.....but sometimes they make bad choices....after i retired they shut down the one i was working out of,and it was the no1 office in Anaheim for revenue.....a buddy of mine who is still working said because of the population in that area they might have to open an office out there....fucking idiots.....

There are times when it's understandable, for instance, when somebody sends mail to a former tenant and the carrier has no idea where it goes. Or when we have a heavy snow. No problem, that's a tough job in the winter time, I can walk to the other apartments and deliver it for ya. I can sympathize.

But on a beautiful day, when every address on the letter states the address and it's marked "rear" or "rear house" I mean come on. The damn thing is only thirty feet away for crying out loud. How can the carrier not see it? They won't even walk up to it to see what the name on the mailbox is.

So okay, I understand there are dopes in every field of work; there certainly are in mine, but when I complain to "whoever" at the post office, I expect them to correct the problem. Take the issue to a supervisor. Test the carrier to see if they are illiterate or not. Something!

It's like Markle said, it seems like they don't give a shit.
did you have a front address and a back one?.....

Certified.

Nothing of value so no insurance. But like I said, the lady at the PO told me there is no way to trace it without a tracking number.
they can take better care of those if they treated them like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have been pissed right along with you ray...i could never understand the PO 's policy on so many things...

Forum List

Back