🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What DOES the US Fed. Govt do Well?

wow was it something i said?.....you proved nothing dipshit....you just put up your opinion.....maybe you should learn what the word prove means....

Perhaps you should learn what "LOSS" means and explain to us where that money comes from.

POSTAL SERVICE NET INCOME/LOSS BY YEAR
  • 2011 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2010 - $8.5 billion loss
  • 2009 - $3.8 billion loss
  • 2008 - $2.8 billion loss
  • 2007 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2006 - $900 million surplus
  • 2005 - $1.4 billion surplus
  • 2004 - $3.1 billion surplus
  • 2003 - $3.9 billion surplus
  • 2002 - $676 million loss
  • 2001 - $1.7 billion loss
Why Does the Us Postal Service Lose Move Every Year?

I won't deny that you don't. But how would it be just me? I'm not imagining that other peoples mail ends up in my mailbox. I'm not imagining that I have to go to the proper apartment to do the job they didn't do. I'm not imagining that I get threatening letters from my lending institution because they didn't get my check. So what am I doing wrong?
like i said ray it sounds like you dont have regular carrier,if you do the guy sucks....

He really sucks. You don't have to be a regular carrier to match the names of the mail with the names on the mailbox.
i dont know what to tell you ray.....on my route in my NBU boxes i would have a card inside the vacant ones that said in big giant words ...VACANT....the subs,not my relief carrier,the subs, would still throw mail in.......

There are times when it's understandable, for instance, when somebody sends mail to a former tenant and the carrier has no idea where it goes. Or when we have a heavy snow. No problem, that's a tough job in the winter time, I can walk to the other apartments and deliver it for ya. I can sympathize.

But on a beautiful day, when every address on the letter states the address and it's marked "rear" or "rear house" I mean come on. The damn thing is only thirty feet away for crying out loud. How can the carrier not see it? They won't even walk up to it to see what the name on the mailbox is.

So okay, I understand there are dopes in every field of work; there certainly are in mine, but when I complain to "whoever" at the post office, I expect them to correct the problem. Take the issue to a supervisor. Test the carrier to see if they are illiterate or not. Something!

It's like Markle said, it seems like they don't give a shit.
did you have a front address and a back one?.....

They are both the same address. But there is a front house and a rear house. They put our mail in the right boxes, but then just tosses the rear houses mail in our boxes in the front house. On Tuesday all the advertising and junk mail comes out, the asshole even gives me two sets of those. There are so many advertisements that after he (or she) does that, it keeps my mailbox top open, and if it rains on a Tuesday, all my important mail gets wet.

What I was hoping for is that they could cross reference it somehow if I provided the address I sent it to. She told me there was no way to do that, nor could I do it on the USPS internet site. She said if I don't have the tracking number, I'm just screwed. Since it had to have a signature, I assumed they could just punch in the address somehow and see how many letters were sent that needed a signature, and then work from there.
was it certified or registered?....

Certified.
ok they dont take care of those like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have recommended you send it registered.....everyone who puts their hands on those things have to sign for it so they would have known who had it last....and it would have been insured for what value you put on it.....

Nothing of value so no insurance. But like I said, the lady at the PO told me there is no way to trace it without a tracking number.
they can take better care of those if they treated them like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have been pissed right along with you ray...i could never understand the PO 's policy on so many things...

I think what they need is to advance in technology. I don't know how the post office does it, but every time I see UPS drop off at one of my stops, they have like an I-Pad thing that the receiver signs. It has the time, how many pieces they received, and various other information on it. I'm assuming it goes into a central computer system.

wow was it something i said?.....you proved nothing dipshit....you just put up your opinion.....maybe you should learn what the word prove means....

Perhaps you should learn what "LOSS" means and explain to us where that money comes from.

POSTAL SERVICE NET INCOME/LOSS BY YEAR
  • 2011 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2010 - $8.5 billion loss
  • 2009 - $3.8 billion loss
  • 2008 - $2.8 billion loss
  • 2007 - $5.1 billion loss
  • 2006 - $900 million surplus
  • 2005 - $1.4 billion surplus
  • 2004 - $3.1 billion surplus
  • 2003 - $3.9 billion surplus
  • 2002 - $676 million loss
  • 2001 - $1.7 billion loss
Why Does the Us Postal Service Lose Move Every Year?
that just shows they lost money.....it has nothing to do with are they self supporting ...above you said they are not self supporting...i asked you to prove that....so prove it....simple question...

Overall the Post Office does a good job but extremely inefficiently.

They had the same attitude as the newspapers before the internet. We're (Postal Service) your only choice, take the service we deliver or go elsewhere.

UPS came along and said, hey, there's a niche for people who are not delivering a tractor trailer load of product to one location. So they slipped in and took all those profitable packages away from the postal service.

I have been a Realtor since 1974. I can recall an overnight letter was unheard of. I have taken a letter to the Grayhound terminal, paid an outrageous fee to have it delivered from Tallahassee to Miami by the next day. The recipient had to meet the bus at the Miami terminal. Sign, notarize and send it back on the bus to Tallahassee. I personally have driven all day and back at night from Tallahassee to West Palm Beach, across the state to Sarasota (well south of Tampa and then five more hours driving back to Tallahassee to close that morning I got back.

Fed Ex saw the same thing and filled that niche. It was AFTER the Postal Service ignored that demand that they came up with their own overnight service. Now I can email documents to California, the recipient signs and sends the original back by Fed Ex overnight. Send to California on Tuesday, have it back in our office Wednesday.

Has the post office learned anything? Not really. I'm convinced that each post office has a treadmill in the back set to a casual walk. As part of a new employees training, they have to learn to walk at that slow, casual pace. Above that, they get an electrical shock.

I'm convinced that each post office has a treadmill in the back set to a casual walk. As part of a new employees training, they have to learn to walk at that slow, casual pace. Above that, they get an electrical shock

come on down and give it a shot....im sure you would last a few days....

like i said ray it sounds like you dont have regular carrier,if you do the guy sucks....

He really sucks. You don't have to be a regular carrier to match the names of the mail with the names on the mailbox.
i dont know what to tell you ray.....on my route in my NBU boxes i would have a card inside the vacant ones that said in big giant words ...VACANT....the subs,not my relief carrier,the subs, would still throw mail in.......

There are times when it's understandable, for instance, when somebody sends mail to a former tenant and the carrier has no idea where it goes. Or when we have a heavy snow. No problem, that's a tough job in the winter time, I can walk to the other apartments and deliver it for ya. I can sympathize.

But on a beautiful day, when every address on the letter states the address and it's marked "rear" or "rear house" I mean come on. The damn thing is only thirty feet away for crying out loud. How can the carrier not see it? They won't even walk up to it to see what the name on the mailbox is.

So okay, I understand there are dopes in every field of work; there certainly are in mine, but when I complain to "whoever" at the post office, I expect them to correct the problem. Take the issue to a supervisor. Test the carrier to see if they are illiterate or not. Something!

They are both the same address. But there is a front house and a rear house. They put our mail in the right boxes, but then just tosses the rear houses mail in our boxes in the front house. On Tuesday all the advertising and junk mail comes out, the asshole even gives me two sets of those. There are so many advertisements that after he (or she) does that, it keeps my mailbox top open, and if it rains on a Tuesday, all my important mail gets wet.
ray if there is a delivery in the back,there should be something telling the carrier that.....when i first started in down town in the older part of town the front add would be say 900 south street the back would be 9001/2....so they know there is a box in the back.....

was it certified or registered?....

Certified.
ok they dont take care of those like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have recommended you send it registered.....everyone who puts their hands on those things have to sign for it so they would have known who had it last....and it would have been insured for what value you put on it.....

Nothing of value so no insurance. But like I said, the lady at the PO told me there is no way to trace it without a tracking number.
they can take better care of those if they treated them like they should.....if i was your carrier i would have been pissed right along with you ray...i could never understand the PO 's policy on so many things...

I think what they need is to advance in technology. I don't know how the post office does it, but every time I see UPS drop off at one of my stops, they have like an I-Pad thing that the receiver signs. It has the time, how many pieces they received, and various other information on it. I'm assuming it goes into a central computer system.
this is what i was talking about earlier....when scanning tech came out in the early 90's,UPS and Fedx were right there and invested....the PO had to ask congress to invest in this.....5 years later when they got the ok,UPS and Fedx were already on the 3 rd generation scanners......congress holds them back with their bullshit committees to approve things...

Certified.

this is what i was talking about earlier....when scanning tech came out in the early 90's,UPS and Fedx were right there and invested....the PO had to ask congress to invest in this.....5 years later when they got the ok,UPS and Fedx were already on the 3 rd generation scanners......congress holds them back with their bullshit committees to approve things...

Well if the post office supports their own, why would they need our tax dollars for scanners and computers?

ray if there is a delivery in the back,there should be something telling the carrier that.....when i first started in down town in the older part of town the front add would be say 900 south street the back would be 9001/2....so they know there is a box in the back.....

They do know it's in the back. My tenant uses "rear house" with everybody that's going to send him mail. Last couple of times I checked. Every piece of mail said "rear house" on it. There are only two houses on the property, so it's not real hard to figure out if somebody is confused where it goes.

that just shows they lost money.....it has nothing to do with are they self supporting ...above you said they are not self supporting...i asked you to prove that....so prove it....simple question...

Over the past 10 years, they have lost over $50 billion. Where does that money come from?

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

The United States Postal Service's financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

Post office officials have often attributed the losses to the decline in demand for first class mail in favor of more efficient modes of communication, and congressional mandates that the USPS do things like deliver mail on Saturdays and to unprofitable parts of the country. In fact, the USPS claims that if it weren't for such requirements, it would more or less break even.

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually. These include:

U.S. Post Office gets an $18 billion gift from taxpayers every year

Over the past 10 years, they have lost over $50 billion. Where does that money come from?

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

The United States Postal Service's financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.

Post office officials have often attributed the losses to the decline in demand for first class mail in favor of more efficient modes of communication, and congressional mandates that the USPS do things like deliver mail on Saturdays and to unprofitable parts of the country. In fact, the USPS claims that if it weren't for such requirements, it would more or less break even.

But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually. These include:

Because of our advanced communications today, we don't need mail delivery every day. We would do fine with mail delivery every other day. Years ago people waited for important documents that needed to be addressed immediately. Today, people get their bills and important information through email.

For people that use mostly electronic communication, what comes in snail mail anyway besides junk mail nobody wants? I'm sure they could save a ton on money with bi-daily mail instead of six day a week mail.

I think we are getting off topic .

Here's the deal . Us has the oldest running gov in the world . And our county is doing awesome .

Something must be working !

Well if the post office supports their own, why would they need our tax dollars for scanners and computers?
they dont.....they have to get permission to do any thing major....basically they have to get permission on how they spend their money....

They do know it's in the back. My tenant uses "rear house" with everybody that's going to send him mail. Last couple of times I checked. Every piece of mail said "rear house" on it. There are only two houses on the property, so it's not real hard to figure out if somebody is confused where it goes.
if it has a delivery it should have its own address....does the city and PO know this house is even there ray?....the reason im asking is because "rear house" is not a legitimate address....the city should give you a number for that house...

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

did you even read your link?....if you did you did not understand it.....and the money they lost came from THEIR own revenue

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

Because of our advanced communications today, we don't need mail delivery every day. We would do fine with mail delivery every other day. Years ago people waited for important documents that needed to be addressed immediately. Today, people get their bills and important information through email.

For people that use mostly electronic communication, what comes in snail mail anyway besides junk mail nobody wants? I'm sure they could save a ton on money with bi-daily mail instead of six day a week mail.
we don't need mail delivery every day
tell that to the corporations who get 10-11 tubs of mail per day.....and that junk mail?.....i used to get people asking me where the ads are...and i mean quite often....

U.S. POSTAL SERVICE
Chris Matthews
Mar 27, 2015

we don't need mail delivery every day
tell that to the corporations who get 10-11 tubs of mail per day.....and that junk mail?.....i used to get people asking me where the ads are...and i mean quite often....

I know people like that, but it wouldn't kill them to get those ads one day later.

Seriously. Is there ANYTHING that they do as well as you might want or expect? Even those things that ARE their PRIMARY Constitutional Duties.. Like the organization and the production of Congress. Or immigration and borders. Or assuring fair and legal elections? Even the maintenance and use of the Military -- which was NOT envisioned in the Constitution as a "standing army"..

And of the stuff that leadership has GRABBED the power to dabble in -- like picking winners and losers in the marketplace, or our new 9/11 domestic spying operation or even the operation of the IRS as an ENFORCEMENT arm of health care policy.

Why is it that so people tend to look to the Feds to micromanage every detail of life. Because WASH is full of the "best and brightest" humble, yet brilliant problem-solvers qualified to fix stuff efficiently and KEEP it fixed?

Ever see ONE Cong. Hearing that resolved anything at all?

Give me examples of WHY folks believe the Fed Govt deserves to keep EXPANDING it's control, it's budget, and it's EFFECT on our lives. The health of the country is suffering over POWER BATTLES for control of this Swampy Monster. It MUST BE just pricelessly IMPORTANT ---- RIGHT???

Spend money.

if it has a delivery it should have its own address....does the city and PO know this house is even there ray?....the reason im asking is because "rear house" is not a legitimate address....the city should give you a number for that house...

And that would make them look at the house to find it? How do you divide two houses on one property? The property is on one parcel. Unless the property is divided into two parcels, there is only one legal address for the property provided by the county for property tax purposes.

So you're a mail carrier. You come to a property that clearly has an address on it. You have three names of people to deliver to. The front house has the names of the two people living there. The other has the name of somebody that has the address marked "rear" or "rear house" and the carrier can't figure that one out???

Maybe the PO should have an IQ test before hiring carriers. I mean......even a six year old would be able to figure out that problem.

they dont.....they have to get permission to do any thing major....basically they have to get permission on how they spend their money....

Permission from who? Permission or not, if they have to use public tax dollars to upgrade or maintain operations, then they are not self-sufficient. They are using taxpayer money.

Forum List

Back