🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What If a Nuke Was Set To Explode Tomorrow ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No - Because torture doesn't work. The one being tortured will say whatever it takes to make it stop.

You ain't Jack Bauer - and neither is the CIA.

j_b__interrogation_technique_by_kersey475.jpg

So you'd just ask him nicely for the location of the bomb?
And here's the thing.
The torture isnt going to stop. And you let him know in no uncertain terms that if he gives bad info what he's just experienced will be like playing paddy cake compared to whats coming.

The asinine scenario presupposes that the terrorist tells you when he is captured that he planted a bomb. Pfui.

He is in a city that is about to be vaporized, and you know he know. But his fear will motivate him? Pfui.

All he has to do is hold out for a day and he is a martyr for his cause. If it is Islam, then he believes paradise is one day away. Pfui.

Why would somebody outside of Hollywood put a timer on a nuke? Doesn’t that just let the writers save the day with one second left? In real life, the bomb is detonated right away. If they use timers, like in Boston, it is for a few minutes, not a few hours, or a full day. Pfui

No - Because torture doesn't work. The one being tortured will say whatever it takes to make it stop.

You ain't Jack Bauer - and neither is the CIA.

j_b__interrogation_technique_by_kersey475.jpg

So you'd just ask him nicely for the location of the bomb?
And here's the thing.
The torture isnt going to stop. And you let him know in no uncertain terms that if he gives bad info what he's just experienced will be like playing paddy cake compared to whats coming.

The asinine scenario presupposes that the terrorist tells you when he is captured that he planted a bomb. Pfui.

He is in a city that is about to be vaporized, and you know he know. But his fear will motivate him? Pfui.

All he has to do is hold out for a day and he is a martyr for his cause. If it is Islam, then he believes paradise is one day away. Pfui.

Why would somebody outside of Hollywood put a timer on a nuke? Doesn’t that just let the writers save the day with one second left? In real life, the bomb is detonated right away. If they use timers, like in Boston, it is for a few minutes, not a few hours, or a full day. Pfui

You apparently dont know what a scenario is.

A US pilot has just firebombed a city hitting a hospital, a school, civilian residences and has killed tens of thousands

His plane is shot down and he is captured

His captors consider him a war criminal and want to torture him to find information that can prevent future bombings

Are they justified?
It will save lives

A US pilot has just firebombed a city hitting a hospital, a school, civilian residences and has killed tens of thousands

His captors consider him a war criminal and want to torture him to find information that can prevent future bombings

Are they justified?
It will save lives

I look at torture like this. If you're fighting for a standing army that recognizes the Geneva convention and follow it I dont believe in torture.
If you're a terrorist using asymmetrical warfare you no longer have protections under the Geneva convention and all bets are off and you should be prepared for the jumper cables to the nards....

Are they justified?
It will save lives

I look at torture like this. If you're fighting for a standing army that recognizes the Geneva convention and follow it I dont believe in torture.
If you're a terrorist using asymmetrical warfare you no longer have protections under the Geneva convention and all bets are off and you should be prepared for the jumper cables to the nards....

OK ....so what about that US Pilot who just firebombed a city?

His captors consider him a war criminal and an angry public demands his head

Why isn’t torture acceptable given that his own country uses the same techniques ?

I ask all posters to this thread to answer the following question with a YES or NO answer. Add more if desired, but please don't omit a yes or no answer.

Suppose a terrorist was captured and being interrogated by the FBI. Suppose he told the agents that a nuclear bomb was scheduled to be detonated in New York City, within 24 hours. With an estimated 2017 population of 8.6 Million, and despite being distributed over a massive land area of about 302.6 square miles, New York City is also the most densely populated major city in the United States.

If this nuclear bomb, of significant size and power, were exploded, it would kill millions of people, and be the most horrific single event in human history. And suppose the terrorist said he knew who the perpetrator was in charge of this heinous act, his location, the location of the device to be used to detonate the bomb, and how to easily disable it.

Bear in mind that torture is illegal under US law (Title 18 of US Code, Section 2340A)

So here's the question. >> Would/should we allow millions of fellow Americans to be incinerated and radiated by this monstrous event, or would/should we do whatever it takes (including torture) to get this information from this terrorist, if it's apparent that that would stop the bomb ?

YES or NO.

No.

First, as what was clearly demonstrated with Allan West, the person being tortured will tell you anything to stop the torture. So any information you got would be at best suspect, and at worst, a misdirection. Then what do you do? You’ve wasted hours, and you’re no closer to the bomb than you were. Now what? Do you return and continue torturing them?

In the Army, when I was going through training regarding being captured, we were told that if we could hold out for 24 hours, then any information we had was obsolete. As soldiers we did not have strategic information, only tactical. That information was already history by the time we would be broken.

Now, your scenario is asinine. First if you did capture a terrorist who had planted a bomb, the last thing he is going to tell you is that he planted a bomb. Stop pretending that they are dumb, or that they haven’t spent weeks or months training for this day.

9-11 should have taught you that. If not the Boston Marathon bombings would have proven the point. Pfui. They aren’t going to stop because you try and frighten them.

Finally, man portable nukes have timers. But nobody thinks the timers really work. If a target is important enough to warrant the use of a nuke, it is too important to allow someone to discover the bomb and deactivate it. The bomb would go off when the timer was activated.

A man-portable nuke is a joke!

Are they justified?
It will save lives

What's a nard?

What a naive little snowflake you are.

I was born in 1959. So between 1959 and 2003, who did we torture?

You dont think there was any torture going on in Vietnam?
Good question...where were OUR POW camps? How did we treat our Vietnamese POWs? How come we never hear about that?

All of our POWs decided to try out their wings and fly out of helicopters when transporting them. Funny how they all did that!

Good question...where were OUR POW camps? How did we treat our Vietnamese POWs? How come we never hear about that?

All of our POWs decided to try out their wings and fly out of helicopters when transporting them. Funny how they all did that!
Are you admitting to war crimes?

Are they justified?
It will save lives

Why isn’t torture acceptable given that his own country uses the same techniques ?

You'll have to be a little more specific than some pilot who fire bombed some city.

Are they justified?
It will save lives

What's a nard?

Urban Dictionary: nards

Are ya fuken stupid?

I doubt someone who would kill that many people would care that much about his or her own life.

Torture does work sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't.

If the person who does the interrogating is given a wrong answer and believes it, it doesn't work.

A person being tortured may give a false answer and even confess to something they didn't do to stop the torture.

A person being tortured may not possess the information the torturer wants.

I doubt someone who would kill that many people would care that much about his or her own life.

Torture does work sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't.

If the person who does the interrogating is given a wrong answer and believes it, it doesn't work.

A person being tortured may give a false answer and even confess to something they didn't do to stop the torture.

A person being tortured may not possess the information the torturer wants.

"If the person who does the interrogating is given a wrong answer and believes it, it doesn't work."

In the scenario we're speaking of you would be able to confirm the truth to his confession in short order and the torture would continue.
Again though nothing is fool proof. But your best bet to get info in short order is going to be torture.
Of course in this situation you would explain to the enemy combatant that if the nuke goes off say good by to a half dozen muslim cities across the middle east.

Are they justified?
It will save lives

You'll have to be a little more specific than some pilot who fire bombed some city.

All you need to know

Are they justified in torturing him given his own countries use of torture?

Are ya fuken stupid?

Looks like a war crime to me

Shoot then Verify
Shoot his left knee out. Ask where is the bomb
Verify
Bomb is not where he said, Shoot his other knee out
Repeat until bomb location is verifid
Bomb is where he said Shoot him between the eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List