What is the religious motto you live by?

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Both religion and philosophy. If you could take one motto from a religion, weather it's yours or not, and live by it, what would it be, how would it influence your life?

My choice:
(Based on Mishna Senhadrin, Jewish Talmud), The Jewish Midrash tells us of:
Rabbi Simcha Bonim used to tell his disciples :"Every person should have two pockets; And he can use each when he needs it: In one pocket is placed the statement, “I am dust and ashes.” And in the other pocket: “The world was created for me.”

When I was a wee sprout, no more than five, I had some children's book that claimed that "Indian" lore declared that when you die the Question you're asked in the judgment of your life is:

"How many people on Earth were made happier because you were born?"

Whether it had some historical source or was just made up, I don't know but it seemed to make perfect sense and I embraced it.

Love my Father, love one another. It's what Jesus thought was important. Not the easiest thing to do though...

Both religion and philosophy. If you could take one motto from a religion, weather it's yours or not, and live by it, what would it be, how would it influence your life?

My choice:
Rabbi Simcha Bonim used to tell his disciples :"Every person should have two pockets; And he can use each when he needs it: In one pocket is placed the statement, “I am dust and ashes.” And in the other pocket: “The world was created for me.”
I'm in between. "This is my dick...and I will not think with it."

When I was a wee sprout, no more than five, I had some children's book that claimed that "Indian" lore declared that when you die the Question you're asked in the judgment of your life is:

"How many people on Earth were made happier because you were born?"

Whether it had some historical source or was just made up, I don't know but it seemed to make perfect sense and I embraced it.
Don't count me in your mini circle jerk.

We are all the same, unique

Do what you want but harm none

Golden rule, by any wording

Live for this life and leave it better for the next generation.

"Progress comes from exploration of land and through.
The 'absolute' conservative gives civilization naught"

Desiderata

My choice:

"Do not eat the knowledge of good and evil." It helps in my battle against the forces of the adversary (satan,) the accuser.

I don't live by it, but I think it's the right way to live.....

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
Lean not on your own understanding
In all your ways acknowledge Him
and He will direct your path

Genesis tells us God made man in His own image, His own likeness. Therefore, I look to see God's image and likeness in every individual, and to remember who I am with.

Forum List

Back