What is the religious motto you live by?

"Ill bow to your King when he shows himself" is what I always go by :thup:

... but if you are going to live your own way... i think the Golden Rule is always a good way to live.....

I went to a church the other day and they passed me a plate full of money, so I took some. Got a few dirty looks. What's up with that?

Genesis tells us God made man in His own image, His own likeness. Therefore, I look to see God's image and likeness in every individual, and to remember who I am with.

Actually, the phrase was "Let us make man in our image"

There are other places in scripture where Hebrew uses the plural to emphasize something greater than mankind. Some believe he was speaking to other human beings (angels). Others say it is the first indication of Trinity--Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

Or perhaps it is not "God" but "Gods"

Not according to the Jews, and it is their book/history. They attribute the first five books of the Bible to Moses, who lived well after Abraham. The Jews have a story of Abraham that his family was in the business of selling idols, because at the time there was the belief that these totems contained the power of the image. To Abraham is attributed the idea that there is not one one God per person, but one God of all.

To those who feel the creation story was written much earlier than Moses, or came from another source, it is pointed out that pre-Abraham, people did think of Gods (plural). However, Hebrew interpretation is that the plural simply indicates the most powerful being, a being much greater than mankind.

Not according to the Jews, and it is their book/history. They attribute the first five books of the Bible to Moses, who lived well after Abraham. The Jews have a story of Abraham that his family was in the business of selling idols, because at the time there was the belief that these totems contained the power of the image. To Abraham is attributed the idea that there is not one one God per person, but one God of all.

To those who feel the creation story was written much earlier than Moses, or came from another source, it is pointed out that pre-Abraham, people did think of Gods (plural). However, Hebrew interpretation is that the plural simply indicates the most powerful being, a being much greater than mankind.

There are myths and ideas from Sumero-Babylonian mythology that were obviously absorbed and retold in the Old Testament. Some might argue that these religious motifs and deific archetypes would have eventually and inevitably recurred within human spiritual/ religious culture... but it's also possible that the God of the Old Testament is an epic hybrid character of various pre-Abrahamic Sumero-Babylonian gods, such as Anu, Enlil, Enki, and Marduk... and later on Ahura Mazda of Zoroastrianism.

I find it most interesting to contemplate what this all means if the Abrahamic God does exist... and how the connection between the OT and Sumero-Babylonian religion might help us better understand the forces Above, or even Below.

Last edited:

There are other places in scripture where Hebrew uses the plural to emphasize something greater than mankind. Some believe he was speaking to other human beings (angels). Others say it is the first indication of Trinity--Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

In Hebrew the referring of plural appears in the term "HaShem Tzva'ot", "ה' צבאות", literally means "God Armies" or "Armies (=angels of) God". Not multiple Gods but his angels.

Forum List

Back