What One Food Is A Holiday Tradition In Your House?

Cecilie1200

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Food is a huge part of holiday celebrations this time of year, and most people know the standards with some variations. But what ONE food is make-or-break for you, gotta-have-it-or-it's-just-not-Christmas (or Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa, or whatever you celebrate)?

In my house, it's fudge. It simply is not Christmas if we don't make a huge batch of fudge to give away (and pig out on). My mom started this tradition back when my older sister was in grade school, and continued it right up until I graduated high school. We would make a batch of fudge, and then package it up in little, inexpensive glass candy dishes with a big bow on them for us to take to our teachers for Christmas gifts. Looking back, it may have started as a bribe to put up with my sister, but you never heard me say that. :)

I took this over when I became old enough to make the fudge myself (I'm also a better cook than my mother was), and have continued it to this day, although we give it as gifts at work and other such places, since all my kids have been homeschooled. Also, in recent years we've expanded it from just pecan and no-nut fudge to include bacon fudge. My family is insane for the bacon fudge.

So what food absolutely defines the winter holiday (whichever one is yours) for you?

I always liked potato candy.

How-to-make-Potato-Candy-1-of-1-8.jpg

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.

The Chinese buffet is our traditional holiday food.

When I lived in Portland I had no family there, and friends were doing their own thing with their families, so I went out for Chinese. Not a buffet, but it was damn good...

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.

Will you accept sweet potato pie as a substitute, or does it have to be the whipped yams?

Every Christmas we do up a nice beef tenderloin with all the fixin's...

So if you couldn't have that one year for some reason, would it still feel like Christmas to you?

Growing up, my family always had turkey on Christmas (Mom wasn't very creative in the kitchen, so turkey was her go-to for any special occasion). One year, the refrigerator completely crapped out the week before the holiday, and the appliance store couldn't get us a replacement until after. Whole meal had to be revamped to stuff that wouldn't require fridging the leftovers. Didn't ruin Christmas, but it was weird.

Pimento stuffed green olives. The cheap ones in the jar. Mom always put them in my Christmas stocking because I love them, and because if she didn't, I'd end up emptying the dish on the table at Christmas dinner.

My stocking was always my favorite part of Christmas. One year when I was in my early twenties, mom decided I was too old for a stocking and announced it a day or so before Christmas. I didn't say anything to her, but I told a cousin how disappointed I was, and she told mom on Christmas Eve, when it was too late for her to do anything about it.

So I got up on Christmas morning to find one of those crocheted mini stocking ornaments tacked to the kitchen wall, with a rolled up $50 bill and, on a toothpick, one green olive attached to the top.

Forum List

Back