What One Food Is A Holiday Tradition In Your House?

Little mince pies...

iu

I don't think I've ever tried those, but they look good.

I got hooked on them while married to my first wife, they're a British thing, she's a Brit. The girlfriend and mother of my second child was a Brit as well... well, her mother was, so the tradition continued for a couple of
Gingerbread men and cookie press butter cookies. I hate cookie presses, so it's gingerbread men.
LOL I love good gingerbread too, but I've made it exactly once. I don't have a lot of patience or luck with roll out pastries, anyway, but gingerbread is the damndest dough I ever encountered. It nearly burnt out the motor on my little Sunbeam hand held electric mixer and it is sticky as hell. Stuck to the bread board, the cookie cutters, the cookie sheet, my fingers...had to use so much flour just to work them that they tasted pretty doughy.
I let others make them now, although hardly anyone adds enough spice.

Did you try chilling it before you worked with it? I had the mixer problem with a lot of things, until I finally broke down and bought a better, more-powerful one. What I really want is a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer.
That might have helped! I don't remember.

Hope Santa brings you your Kitchen-Aid!

A cheesy sauce maybe? :dunno: ...

This particular photo is b roll from bing... Mom's did have a sauce on top of it and if I recall it had cheese, mustard and horseradish, I think...

Pimento stuffed green olives. The cheap ones in the jar. Mom always put them in my Christmas stocking because I love them, and because if she didn't, I'd end up emptying the dish on the table at Christmas dinner.

My stocking was always my favorite part of Christmas. One year when I was in my early twenties, mom decided I was too old for a stocking and announced it a day or so before Christmas. I didn't say anything to her, but I told a cousin how disappointed I was, and she told mom on Christmas Eve, when it was too late for her to do anything about it.

So I got up on Christmas morning to find one of those crocheted mini stocking ornaments tacked to the kitchen wall, with a rolled up $50 bill and, on a toothpick, one green olive attached to the top.

It's a tradition in our house for my oldest son to get a gift box of gourmet hot sauces, the weirdest and spiciest ones I can find. He puts hot sauce in everything except ice cream (and I won't swear he hasn't tried that), and goes through the entire box by February.

My mom has a tradition of giving my brother a summer sausage gift box from Hickory Farms. He loves those things, and hides the box in his room so no one else will eat it.
A friend used to send me one of those Hickory Farms Gift boxes when I was in college. One definitely never shares the gift box.
Which is why I ate it instead of giving it as a gift, last night. See Hickory Farms thread, lol.

Pimento stuffed green olives. The cheap ones in the jar. Mom always put them in my Christmas stocking because I love them, and because if she didn't, I'd end up emptying the dish on the table at Christmas dinner.

My stocking was always my favorite part of Christmas. One year when I was in my early twenties, mom decided I was too old for a stocking and announced it a day or so before Christmas. I didn't say anything to her, but I told a cousin how disappointed I was, and she told mom on Christmas Eve, when it was too late for her to do anything about it.

So I got up on Christmas morning to find one of those crocheted mini stocking ornaments tacked to the kitchen wall, with a rolled up $50 bill and, on a toothpick, one green olive attached to the top.

It's a tradition in our house for my oldest son to get a gift box of gourmet hot sauces, the weirdest and spiciest ones I can find. He puts hot sauce in everything except ice cream (and I won't swear he hasn't tried that), and goes through the entire box by February.

My mom has a tradition of giving my brother a summer sausage gift box from Hickory Farms. He loves those things, and hides the box in his room so no one else will eat it.
A friend used to send me one of those Hickory Farms Gift boxes when I was in college. One definitely never shares the gift box.
Which is why I ate it instead of giving it as a gift, last night. See Hickory Farms thread, lol.
I've done that--with chocolates!

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.
Peanut Butter Fudge, chocolate Covered Cherries and Coconut balls.

but that Potato candy brought back memories!:)

Speaking of cookies.....I make sugar cookies, with butter cream frosting and on top....cinnamon red hots. YUM!!!

But not any more. No dogs...no xmas. This will be our 5th one of no xmas. What's the point? Thats all we had as family. 3 dogs, 1 cat. All gone.

Little mince pies...

iu

I don't think I've ever tried those, but they look good.

I got hooked on them while married to my first wife, they're a British thing, she's a Brit. The girlfriend and mother of my second child was a Brit as well... well, her mother was, so the tradition continued for a couple of
Gingerbread men and cookie press butter cookies. I hate cookie presses, so it's gingerbread men.
LOL I love good gingerbread too, but I've made it exactly once. I don't have a lot of patience or luck with roll out pastries, anyway, but gingerbread is the damndest dough I ever encountered. It nearly burnt out the motor on my little Sunbeam hand held electric mixer and it is sticky as hell. Stuck to the bread board, the cookie cutters, the cookie sheet, my fingers...had to use so much flour just to work them that they tasted pretty doughy.
I let others make them now, although hardly anyone adds enough spice.

Did you try chilling it before you worked with it? I had the mixer problem with a lot of things, until I finally broke down and bought a better, more-powerful one. What I really want is a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer.
That might have helped! I don't remember.

Hope Santa brings you your Kitchen-Aid!

Not this year, because my kitchen right now doesn't have room for it. Next year, maybe.

I got my brother-in-law a gift set of nice bottles of bourbon. I'm tempted to keep it.

Whipped yams with butter and brown sugar to look like mashed taters, covered with mini marshmellows.
Thanksgiving, and Christmas dinners. None for the rest of the year.
Peanut Butter Fudge, chocolate Covered Cherries and Coconut balls.

but that Potato candy brought back memories!:)

Have you tried chocolate rum balls? I make those some years when I have extra cooking time.

Potato candy?

I got my brother-in-law a gift set of nice bottles of bourbon. I'm tempted to keep it.
If you start typing funny, we'll know why.

If you start typing funny, we'll know why.

Typing is my primary skill in life. I can actually do it under just about any conditions. I'm told I look really weird, swaying back and forth, when I type drunk, though.

Forum List

Back