What Putin didn't tell us

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
What Putin Didn't Tell the American People | Anna Neistat

It's not what Vladimir Putin's New York Times op-ed says that's so worrisome; it's what it doesn't say. As a Russian and as someone who has been to Syria multiple times since the beginning of the conflict to investigate war crimes and other violations, I would like to mention a few things Putin overlooked.

There is not a single mention in Putin's article, addressed to the American people, of the egregious crimes committed by the Syrian government and extensively documented by the UN Commission of Inquiry, local and international human rights groups, and numerous journalists: deliberate and indiscriminate killings of tens of thousands of civilians, executions, torture, enforced disappearances and arbitrary arrests. His op-ed also makes no mention of Russia's ongoing transfer of arms to Assad throughout the past two and a half years.

The Russian president strategically emphasizes the role of Islamic extremists in the Syrian conflict. Yes, many rebel groups have committed abuses and atrocities. Yet Putin fails to mention that it is the Syrian government that is responsible for shooting peaceful protesters (before the conflict even started) and detaining and torturing their leaders -- many of whom remain detained -- and that the continued failure of the international community to respond to atrocities in Syria allows crimes on all sides to continue unaddressed.

You traitors who sided against your own country really should read the rest of this but I bet you don't.

And, if you don't like the source, I invite you to prove its not true.

I don't need Putin to tell me that terrorists are beheading Christians and burning churches. I don't need him to tell me that al quaeda in Syria disebowels people and eats their guts. I don't even need for him to tell me that terrorists drag parents out of their homes to watch their children being shot in the head. The reason I don't need Putin to tell me is because I have seen it for myself. All that and worse.

LOL.

There are no words to describe the stupidity of this thread. Did you call us traitors? A traitor is one who ignores the will of his own people, and rushes headlong into war without any good leads on who to attack!

What Putin Didn't Tell the American People | Anna Neistat

It's not what Vladimir Putin's New York Times op-ed says that's so worrisome; it's what it doesn't say. As a Russian and as someone who has been to Syria multiple times since the beginning of the conflict to investigate war crimes and other violations, I would like to mention a few things Putin overlooked.

There is not a single mention in Putin's article, addressed to the American people, of the egregious crimes committed by the Syrian government and extensively documented by the UN Commission of Inquiry, local and international human rights groups, and numerous journalists: deliberate and indiscriminate killings of tens of thousands of civilians, executions, torture, enforced disappearances and arbitrary arrests. His op-ed also makes no mention of Russia's ongoing transfer of arms to Assad throughout the past two and a half years.

The Russian president strategically emphasizes the role of Islamic extremists in the Syrian conflict. Yes, many rebel groups have committed abuses and atrocities. Yet Putin fails to mention that it is the Syrian government that is responsible for shooting peaceful protesters (before the conflict even started) and detaining and torturing their leaders -- many of whom remain detained -- and that the continued failure of the international community to respond to atrocities in Syria allows crimes on all sides to continue unaddressed.

You traitors who sided against your own country really should read the rest of this but I bet you don't.

And, if you don't like the source, I invite you to prove its not true.

Yawn, your major malfunction is belied by the fact that you don't understand what's going there. You believe that the United States is the good guy and he's going to go dashing in to save Syrians from the bad guys, but it has nothing to do with good or bad. This is business, literally, and this is the proxy war being waged to keep that business operational. Neither side cares about dead kids so I'd get used to that hard fact of life.

Last edited:
My my how the left here have become so gung ho about taking out a brutal savage middle east dictator who kills and tortures his own people that wasn't always the case though I wonder what changed?

My, how the right has become so gung ho about allowing a savage middle east dictator to remain in power, supported by a former KGB, communist Russian president. I wonder what changed?

LOL.

There are no words to describe the stupidity of this thread. Did you call us traitors? A traitor is one who ignores the will of his own people, and rushes headlong into war without any good leads on who to attack!

Dudley is a tad Anti-American himself.....so yea....him calling others traitors.....

My my how the left here have become so gung ho about taking out a brutal savage middle east dictator who kills and tortures his own people that wasn't always the case though I wonder what changed?

My, how the right has become so gung ho about allowing a savage middle east dictator to remain in power, supported by a former KGB, communist Russian president. I wonder what changed?
you both have a point.....but like we should have stayed out of Iraq....we should stay out of Syria....if the UN is so worried about the people over there let THEM get an International force to go in there .......

It's really not right to take sides in regards to Syria. Let's also not forget who brought on this senseless bloodbath. That'd be Assad and his total disregard for human life, just like al Qaeda.

Assad didn't attack other countries to begin this latest war. Other countries are attacked Assad. Trying to determine who exactly "brought on" this bloodbath is a bit vague.

you both have a point.....but like we should have stayed out of Iraq....we should stay out of Syria....if the UN is so worried about the people over there let THEM get an International force to go in there .......

I disagreed with going into Iraq, just as I do with Syria. I just question the integrity of those on the right who suddenly became peaceniks the moment a Democrat was starting the wars. Likewise, some Democrats have become the war-mongers, but not nearly to the degree that Republicans were during the Bush era. The fact that Obama can't get support for this war from his own party clearly shows that.

I like to believe the right or most of it learned from the mistakes of Iraq.

Not sure what the point of the thread is.

The guy is a thuggish, sociopathic dictator who can be counted on to lie with impunity every time it benefits him.

And he's also the asshole who, as a result of this debacle, took advantage of the massive opening we gave him, poked us square in the eye with that op-ed and just caused us to bend over on the world stage: Obama concedes to Russia; will remove military trigger on Syria - The Hill's Global Affairs

Does anyone here really think that anyone else here likes this guy?

LOL.

Hey why you bringing up George Bush again?

The guy is a thuggish, sociopathic dictator who can be counted on to lie with impunity every time it benefits him.

And he's also the asshole who, as a result of this debacle, took advantage of the massive opening we gave him, poked us square in the eye with that op-ed and just caused us to bend over on the world stage: Obama concedes to Russia; will remove military trigger on Syria - The Hill's Global Affairs

Not sure which "guy" you are speaking of. But it sure is strange watching people like you side with a Russian leader against our own President.

As Dylan said; the times, they are a changing. I thought the idea was to enlist the aid of other countries to keep US from going to war in Syria. I must of mis read something.

Seems to me Putin is siding with the American People not the other way around.

The MAJORITY of Americans want nothing to do with this. Our leaders failed to convince us that attacking Syria was in their best interest.

The POTUS failed to get a stupid policy pushed through. His problem, not Putin's.

You almost gotta laugh that the left has two or three (tax exempt) organizations dedicated to smearing American talk radio but they believe every word from a woman who used to be employed by Moscow's radio station.

Not sure which "guy" you are speaking of. But it sure is strange watching people like you side with a Russian leader against our own President.

As Dylan said; the times, they are a changing. I thought the idea was to enlist the aid of other countries to keep US from going to war in Syria. I must of mis read something.

Obama wants to strike, Russia does not.

So you berate those who 'side' with the guy who doesn't want to go to war??

Forum List

Back