What state do you all deem the most libertarian, overall?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I may have asked this question before, but, it was in passing I believe.

According to FEE (Foundation of Economic Education) here is the overall most libertarian, you can visit the website to get the full breakdown of economic, vs social, etc. I was disappointed with the score Texas received, and, I was pleasantly surprised that Florida was the winner.

Do you all agree with this overall ranking?

I consider myself strongly economically libertarian and more than moderately socially libertarian. From what I have read and heard, I knew Colorado would have been one of the top choices for sure, Nevada certainly, but I did think Texas would be higher up than 21st and seeing California so low is also surprising.

I'm not surprised about New York at all, it is basically a big Toronto (or rather, we are a small NY). We are basically a police state in Ontario, responsible for half of Canadas debt with nepotism and spitting on civil liberties a sport that has destroyed our economy for decades. A big chunk of our 9% expat is from Ontario for a reason.

What say you all? Is this accurate, or anything more you can suggest in your estimation?

America’s Most Libertarian State Is…? | Daniel J. Mitchell

overalfreedom.jpg

Last edited:
I think the OP is confusing the terms of American slang politics , California no way, Florida, New Hampshire, Maine yes

According to FEE (Foundation of Economic Education) here is the overall most libertarian, you can visit the website to get the full breakdown of economic, vs social, etc. I was disappointed with the score Texas received, and, I was pleasantly surprised that Florida was the winner.

I consider myself strongly economically libertarian and more than moderately socially libertarian. From what I have read and heard, I knew Colorado would have been one of the top choices for sure, Nevada certainly, but I did think Texas would be higher up than 21st and seeing California so low is also surprising.

I'm not surprised about New York at all, it is basically a big Toronto (or rather, we are a small NY). We are basically a police state in Ontario, responsible for half of Canadas debt with nepotism and spitting on civil liberties a sport that has destroyed our economy for decades. A big chunk of our 9% expat is from Ontario for a reason.

What say you all? Is this accurate, or anything more you can suggest in your estimation?

View attachment 334518
New Hampshire

"Live Free or Die"

Any state run by Democrats. Democrats create sanctuary states/cities without our consent. Democrat liberal progressives are like a reverse king Midas, everything they touch turns to crap. Take California for instance.

Any state run by Democrats. Democrats create sanctuary states/cities without our consent. Democrat liberal progressives are like a reverse king Midas, everything they touch turns to crap. Take California for instance.

I find that odd though, because California is quite creative and has a history of hippies, free love and all that reputation of extreme liberty. I know when I used to speak to Californians for work, they were the most gregarious and definitely the most aggressive in terms of investing and spending on IT products and services.

I've always viewed California and Texas as ironically very similar in many ways, I can only go by my own personal experiences and interactions with them. Texans might be slightly more reserved, but they always seem to be the strongest supporters of your constitution, which in itself, is really the foundation of your libertarianism if you ask me. I think their differences in taxation and excess government has provided their drastically different rating difference.

Last edited:
Michigan with its controlling nanny state governor beats Akaska? I figured MI would be last with NY.
I thought Alaska would be higher on the list considering the looser gun and marijuana laws.

View attachment 334518
Nice list. Tennessee rates up there at #7. Surprised Kentucky rates so low, as I never thought about it, but came to Tennessee 46 years ago.

And I thought California was a "country of it's own"? It seems that everything they do, is so Un-American. It may as well concede from the rest of the U.S. at the way things have been going there.

View attachment 334518
New Hampshire

"Live Free or Die"

Hah, such a state motto I suppose tells you all you need to know about their beliefs.

View attachment 334518
New Hampshire

"Live Free or Die"

Hah, such a state motto I suppose tells you all you need to know about their beliefs.
Does it? I suspect your remark tells us more about yours...LOL! I'll just put it out there..that NH is a perennially Blue state--and that freedom, as such, is in the eyes of the beholder.

And I thought California was a "country of it's own"? It seems that everything they do, is so Un-American. It may as well concede from the rest of the U.S. at the way things have been going there.
We are. We are big enough to do what we want. We really dgaf what the rest of you want.

Forum List

Back