"What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?" by Frederick Douglass

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Is the title now given to a speech by Frederick Douglass delivered on July 5, 1852, in Corinthian Hall, Rochester, New York, addressing the Rochester Ladies' Anti-Slavery Society.[2] The speech is perhaps the most widely known of all of Frederick Douglass' writings save his autobiographies.

Considering the woeful ignorance Americans have of it's own history and the current climate, now is the perfect time for all to consume what things were actually like.

His descendants have recorded themselves giving this great speech that I believe every American should read at least once or three times in their lives...

Or you can watch another set of African Americans give the speech on Roland Martin's digital show...

Or, you can just take the time and read it yourself...

I listened to Martin group's reading last night and was just left speechless.

How did you react to any of these?

Is the title now given to a speech by Frederick Douglass delivered on July 5, 1852, in Corinthian Hall, Rochester, New York, addressing the Rochester Ladies' Anti-Slavery Society.[2] The speech is perhaps the most widely known of all of Frederick Douglass' writings save his autobiographies.

Considering the woeful ignorance Americans have of it's own history and the current climate, now is the perfect time for all to consume what things were actually like.

His descendants have recorded themselves giving this great speech that I believe every American should read at least once or three times in their lives...

Or you can watch another set of African Americans give the speech on Roland Martin's digital show...

"What do we care?", Meathead

That was before the emancipation, in 1852. The Emancipation Proclamation was in 1862.
Many Leftist have forgotten about the Emancipation of 1862 and which Country's Founders put in a Constitution that could be amended to give the Slaves Freedom.

Many of these Leftist are so blinded by their own Hatred and Intolerance they forget their own God given Blessings.

Is a good thing you are not a slave then, Steve just like your father grandfather, Great grandfather and probably further back. .

Why you WANT to be a save so you can do nothing but cause division is anybody's guess.

I watched the grandkids -- well done! Douglas was a powerful orator, and he's got some real smart descendants.

Douglas said in the end he does not despair of this country. I am beginning to despair, though, of seeing black and white together to work as one, as Americans, now that we have attempted to correct that great sin. Some people refuse to move on, on BOTH sides of the color line.

I sure hope that is not how YOU view the 4th, today.

That was before the emancipation, in 1852. The Emancipation Proclamation was in 1862.
Many Leftist have forgotten about the Emancipation of 1862 and which Country's Founders put in a Constitution that could be amended to give the Slaves Freedom.

Many of these Leftist are so blinded by their own Hatred and Intolerance they forget their own God given Blessings.

And yet, the KKK almost 100% supports Rump. Funny how that works, isn't it.

There are no slaves. But, in their heads blacks are still slaves. They want to be slaves. They need to be slaves. Blacks that do not think of themselves as slaves like Ben Carson are race traitors. Blacks cling to the idea of still being slaves because it justifies all their destruction. They are not slaves. They are not fighting for their freedom

I don't listen to any of that crap. Black lives don't matter to me and they didn't mean anything to the two black savages that kilt ole Mal X either.

And yet, the KKK almost 100% supports Rump. Funny how that works, isn't it.
Where's the kkk, I never see them.

There are no slaves. You have too much freedom -- special rights in America. Yet you continue thru life with a chip on your shoulder because you've been brainwashed. It's easier to blame someone for your predicament rather than examine your own behavior

If it is so damn bad then they can simply emigrate, no one is keeping them here.

Meanwhile, blacks keep immigrating to America. Duh!

Apparently you haven't heard but the slaves were freed by white people who died in the effort and now their descendants want to tear down statues of Lincoln because because they fin it humiliating that they were freed by a white man.

And yet you still vote for the Party of Slavery.

Forum List

Back