When a Canadian comes to America...and becomes a gun owner..

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
There is a contest at this site and this was one of the entries....the story of a Canadian Citizen, who became an American......and was a victim of a crime.....and then realized why we honor, cherish and protect the 2nd Amendment.....

Concealed Carry - Because You Can't Control When Crazy Will Happen [Contest Entry] - The Truth About Guns

My wife and I both grew up in Canada. As such, we always had a strange curiosity with America’s embrace of firearms. Canadians are inculcated by our school system from an early age that America is full of “gun nuts” and you’ll just get shot walking in broad daylight for no apparent reason. I was always skeptical of said shibboleth, as I viewed the Second Amendment as a check on an overreaching government. When we moved to the US fourteen years ago, we first settled in Detroit. We saw firsthand that owning a firearm isn’t such a bad idea. That being said, as we were on visas at the time, we couldn’t own handguns. It was something we’d think about down the road . . .

Several years later, events would happen that ensured that once we got our permanent residency status, and we would become firearm owners. These events happened in Charlotte, North Carolina.

First, my wife was deliberately driven off the road in an apparent gang initiation. The police told us as much, but then advised her not to pursue the issue as being a witness, because the gangs would have access to our name and assess.

The second event occurred when my wife was at the local playground with my two-year-old and infant sons. A man attempted to approach my oldest son with the intent of snatching him. If it wasn’t for the fact that another car drove into the parking lot, the results could have been tragic.

Once again, the police were dismissive. The man in question was subsequently charged a year later with the attempted kidnapping of a young girl (the charges were eventually dropped on that for various reasons).

We learned the hard lesson that the police are of little help when seconds matter.

Absolutely. By the way, I heard a very similar story. I was working at a car dealership in the mechanics bay, and one of the guys there lived in a town, almost 50 minutes away from work, and commuted into town every day. I asked him why the heck he lived so far away.

He explained that he used to live in town, just a few blocks from the dealership. But over the years, the neighborhood completely changed, and one day his wife was delivering food to a retired man across the street from where they lived. A black women blocked her on her way, and accused her of being racists. The lady then attacked his wife. When he went out to try and stop the attack, dozens more came after them.

This was after a man, hopped up on drugs attempted to break in through their kitchen window... while she was in the kitchen. Gun controllers, to gun owners in a matter of weeks. They moved out the next month.

Ironically he found out who this lady was, and went to the police station to confront her. The police told him to not say a word, and not do anything to this lady. Explaining that if they did, she would retaliate violently for getting her in trouble.

There is something wrong, when we live in a society, where the victims are told by police, that the perpetrators are to be feared, and protected. But that's what happens when politics sides with anyone who accuses other of being racists.

Forum List

Back