When Amazon Kills all the Malls

Yea I definitely am on the fence about this. I think its a neat idea. I'd be more supportive of it if I could give them access to like a lock box or a small out-building that they could put the package in, rather than MY HOUSE.

It's a neat idea but not sure how they would prevent someone from stealing stuff. I mean nothing stops them from stealing stuff from outside your home right now. With security cameras they would be easily caught as these vendors know exactly who is driving the truck on a route on any given day.

GPS a delivery robot to your parked car location. Use a Remote signal to open trunk from pic of license plate or VID#.....

. what can we repurpose those dinosaur huge buildings to do?

The perfect place to survive the Zombie Apocalypse...

dawn-of-the-dead-original.png

Until the 1980's, telephone switching centers were electromechanical. Calls were routed via mechanical relays that moved rotary connections. These switches were massive and were housed in huge buildings in every city in America.

After the '80s, when the network was converted to SDH and fiber optic a switch the size of a refrigerator could handle as many calls as a two story mechanical switch.

This made AT&T one of the largest property owners in the US and re-purposing all those empty switch building as data centers and office space helped them survive the Dot-Com bust of 2000.

Until the 1980's, telephone switching centers were electromechanical. Calls were routed via mechanical relays that moved rotary connections. These switches were massive and were housed in huge buildings in every city in America.

After the '80s, when the network was converted to SDH and fiber optic a switch the size of a refrigerator could handle as many calls as a two story mechanical switch.

This made AT&T one of the largest property owners in the US and re-purposing all those empty switch building as data centers and office space helped them survive the Dot-Com bust of 2000.

It also made home phones go out immediately when the power gets cut! :blowup:

Malls could be repurposed into apartments, complete with local in-house shops and playgrounds.

Malls could be repurposed into apartments, complete with local in-house shops and playgrounds.

Yea ... but I wouldn't worry about malls going out of business until Amazon gets a Cinnabon.

Yea ... but I wouldn't worry about malls going out of business until Amazon gets a Cinnabon.

If large, outside lock-boxes are implemented, Amazon-type shopping will become more prevalent.

They would have to kill anchor stores like Sears and J C Penny's first

Oops...looks like they have

... what can we repurpose those dinosaur huge buildings to do? Homeless shelters and retraining centers? Hives for computer hacking and trolling centers?

Where will the mall employees get jobs? I know that the free market has essentially declared big box stores as losers and they will fade away over the next 10 years. Will food stores be next? I think it will take longer for food stores since people like to see and touch what they’re gonna eat.

Anyway, we’re gonna have a lot of empty malls. What’re we gonna do with them?
Most of the stores I won't miss. I would miss the nice Department stores, though--the pretty Christmas decorations and the smell of the perfume counter and just ambling around to look at stuff, feel the quality of the material, check the maker mark on the dishware, try on the shoes. Amazon is fine for everyday stuff you buy all the time, but the rest? I hope we don't all have to do ALL our shopping from our own living rooms in another ten years because we were too lazy to go to the store.
You won’t miss Piercing Pagoda or Orange Julius? What kind of American are you?
Well, now that you mention it---I WOULD miss Orange Julius.
Now that's something I haven't seen in years.

They were bought by Dairy Queen. You can get them there!

The malls I have seen going under are due to criminal activity. In Florida, there is a mall that is barely hanging on after losing major anchor stores simply because too many people were getting harassed by roving gangs of minority teenagers. Several assaults putting shoppers in the hospitals didn't help. There was even a murder in the parking lot attributed to a mugging gone wrong.

Those stores moved to a major shopping area just south of there where the stores are nearby but in their own buildings.

In our local area, the malls have instituted age restrictions such that no one under the age of 16 is permitted without a parent due to those same type of roving gangs raising mischief.

The malls I have seen going under are due to criminal activity. In Florida, there is a mall that is barely hanging on after losing major anchor stores simply because too many people were getting harassed by roving gangs of minority teenagers. Several assaults putting shoppers in the hospitals didn't help. There was even a murder in the parking lot attributed to a mugging gone wrong.

Those stores moved to a major shopping area just south of there where the stores are nearby but in their own buildings.

In our local area, the malls have instituted age restrictions such that no one under the age of 16 is permitted without a parent due to those same type of roving gangs raising mischief.
Do they have soldiers enforcing it?

Do they have soldiers enforcing it?

I'm so sorry! I don't speak libtard. Could you possibly get someone to translate your post?

Christ, what retard would go to a mall other than to find their local cell phone company to replace the defective SIM chip.

You know, I kinda think that the malls paved the way for the big box stores to take over.

And now, it looks like the internet is going to take over most of the stores.
The new niche market is in parcel delivery...

Too funny, I was talking about this with my wife last night.
With most major retailers, especially including Amazon, partnering with the MUCH-MUCH hated USPS and their lousy service, no specific date tracking etc. etc. I was saying there has to be a better way.
I was thinking of a "Receiving center" where consumers can choose between pickup or delivery for their packages. Safe place to receive packages, no more worrying if the package is still on your porch when you get home, and weather related issues...to delivery when you are home.
Amazon wants your house keys.

Amazon Key is a new service that lets couriers unlock your front door
My dog would be pissed

Forum List

Back