🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

When Will Actors Learn To Not Offend Their Customers....

Free speech is free speech, no matter who uses free speech or what they have to say. Don't like it? Move to Russia, China; etc.

Hmmm...don't quite see where we disagree on that...pointing out the stupid things these idiots say is not the same as calling them to be prevented from saying them, in fact, I like when they show us who they really are...I'm a conservative...I actually believe in free speech...all speech, not just the speech the liberals like...

Free speech is free speech, no matter who uses free speech or what they have to say. Don't like it? Move to Russia, China; etc.

Hmmm...don't quite see where we disagree on that...pointing out the stupid things these idiots say is not the same as calling them to be prevented from saying them, in fact, I like when they show us who they really are...I'm a conservative...I actually believe in free speech...all speech, not just the speech the liberals like...

I agree that there is no problem with pointing out something stupid an actor says. What annoys me is when people say things like, "I'm never watching another Sean Penn movie again." Who cares what an actor says in their personal life. If you see a movie of theirs that you think you might enjoy go see it, and enjoy it. It's not like you are helping to line their pockets. The studio already guaranteed them a paycheck.

Would love to see a link to studies that show right wing gun nuts are safer than general population. Vile racist/bigots are a blight on this country. Show us a link.

Texas study Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1 of the crimes.

A recent study in Texas backs up this conclusion: Concealed carry permit holders do not use guns to commit crimes and they commit crimes of any nature much less frequently than the general population of Texas.

The Texas Department of Public Safety published a list of crimes committed in Texas in 2011 by everyone convicted and by those convicted who also held CCL's. The bottom line: Concealed carry permit holders commit less than 1% of the crimes. If you want to be exact, they committed two tenths of one percent of the crimes in 2011. And not all of those involved firearms or violence.

The data show that 63,679 people were convicted of a long list of crimes. Of those 63 thousand, only 120 were CCL holders.

Ironically, if you drill down into the data it shows that the most frequently committed crime by CCL holders were domestic violence related crimes. And in North Carolina those people are not eligible to possess a gun, much less carry one concealed in public.
Vile racist/bigots are a blight on this country.

Which is why I don't vote for democrats...the party of slavery and racism

Comparing permitted gun owners with general population makes no sense. If you are going to make such a comparison, you need to compare those who have a permit to those who qualify for a permit, but would never carry a gun in public.

I knew that was what you were trying to say up thread, I've seen gun nuts use that bull before. You are taking a pre-selected group -- those that have a permit because they can't walk out the door without a gun -- to those who are rational enough not to carry a gun, but could qualify for a permit. The later group is what you need to compare permit holders to, and they commit no more, probably less, crime than the gun nuts, paranoid gun owners who have to strap on a gun or two to walk out the door.

And obviously, gun nuts commit far more gun crimes than those who can exist without them.

Comparing permitted gun owners with general population makes no sense.

I think you would have to refute all studies then...since they usually take that tack on any topic...any one out there know anything about this...

Take the recent scandals in the NFL, people citied studies that show that football players are less likely to commit domestic violence than the general population...based on those methods of study...

Last edited:
Comparing permitted gun owners with general population makes no sense. If you are going to make such a comparison, you need to compare those who have a permit to those who qualify for a permit, but would never carry a gun in public.

I think it is already done when you isolate permitted gun owners...since outside of the criminal population who can't own guns...everyone else could, essentially, get a permit since they have no criminal record...unless you take out the mentally ill, or those with drug problems who are also not permitted to own guns...

Comparing permitted gun owners with general population makes no sense.

I think you would have to refute all studies then...since they usually take that tack on any topic...any one out there know anything about this...

It's the wrong tack, but gun nut sponsored studies and posts often take it to try to make the point that gun nuts commit less crime.

A person who can supposedly only get a permit if they do not have a history of crime. So it is a pre-selected group, especially when the inference from the gun nuts is that they commit less crime that those without a permit. They do not commit less crime than those who qualify for a permit, but are rational enough to realize they don't need a gun to walk down the street, impress people, etc.

Even you admit that gun nuts commit more domestic violence. Without a gun, Zimmerman and Dunn would have sat in their car and never intimidated unarmed teens. Reeves would not have shot a man in a movie. Loughner, etc., would not have cut loose at a gathering. NRA President Keene's son -- brought up in the gun culture -- would not have been imprisoned for shooting an innocent motorist in a road rage incident. I could go on.

I think it is already done when you isolate permitted gun owners...since outside of the criminal population who can't own guns...everyone else could, essentially, get a permit since they have no criminal record...unless you take out the mentally ill, or those with drug problems who are also not permitted to own guns...

It's done, because the studies are backed by gun promoters. They know their readers are usually not educated enough to see the nuances.

Folks like this, don't get the nuances:

open-carry-tools.jpg

1401497927000-Open-Carry-Texas.jpg

civen-bundy-militia-ranch.jpg

It's done, because the studies are backed by gun promoters. They know their readers are usually not educated enough to see the nuances.

Yeah, they are all just rubes and morons...now I know who I am posting with...

Here is a look at the study by actual researchers...

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...y-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

How law-abiding are permit holders?

One extremely easy fact to get information on is how law-abiding permit holders are. Much of the existing public discussion on crimes committed by permit holders in the media involves a report by the Violence Policy Center. Unfortunately, that report contains many inaccuracies as it often double or triple counts cases that shouldn’t even be counted as crimes or problems with guns to begin with.2

Consider the two large states at the front of the current debate, Florida and Texas: Both states provide easy web access to detailed records of permit holders. During over two decades, from October 1, 1987 to May 31, 2014, Florida has issued permits to more than 2.64 million people, with the average person holding a permit for more than a decade.3 Few -- 168 (about 0.006%) -- have had their permits revoked for any type of firearms related violation, the most common being accidentally carrying a concealed handgun into a gun-free zone such as a school or an airport, not threats or acts of violence. It is an annual rate of 0.0002 percent.

The already low revocation rate has been declining over time. Over the last 77 months from January 2008 through May 2014, just 4 permits have been revoked for firearms-related violations. With an average of about 875,000 active permit holders per year during those years, the annual revocation rate for firearms related violations is 0.00007 percent – 7 one hundred thousandths of one percentage point.

For all revocations, the annual rate in Florida is 0.012 percent.

The numbers are similarly low in Texas. In 2012, the latest year that crime data are available, there were 584,850 active license holders.4 Out of these, 120 were convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony, a rate of 0.021 percent, with only a few of these crimes involving a gun.5

Yeah, they are all just rubes and morons...now I know who I am posting with...

Go to any gun show, gun store, etc., tell me who you see drooling over gunz.

Go to any gun show, gun store, etc., tell me who you see drooling over gunz.

Tell me, have you ever been to a gun store? Taken a class at a gun range? really?

Here is a look at the study by actual researchers...

http://crimepreventionresearchcente...y-Permit-Holders-Across-the-United-States.pdf

How law-abiding are permit holders?

One extremely easy fact to get information on is how law-abiding permit holders are. Much of the existing public discussion on crimes committed by permit holders in the media involves a report by the Violence Policy Center. Unfortunately, that report contains many inaccuracies as it often double or triple counts cases that shouldn’t even be counted as crimes or problems with guns to begin with.2

Consider the two large states at the front of the current debate, Florida and Texas: Both states provide easy web access to detailed records of permit holders. During over two decades, from October 1, 1987 to May 31, 2014, Florida has issued permits to more than 2.64 million people, with the average person holding a permit for more than a decade.3 Few -- 168 (about 0.006%) -- have had their permits revoked for any type of firearms related violation, the most common being accidentally carrying a concealed handgun into a gun-free zone such as a school or an airport, not threats or acts of violence. It is an annual rate of 0.0002 percent.

The already low revocation rate has been declining over time. Over the last 77 months from January 2008 through May 2014, just 4 permits have been revoked for firearms-related violations. With an average of about 875,000 active permit holders per year during those years, the annual revocation rate for firearms related violations is 0.00007 percent – 7 one hundred thousandths of one percentage point.

For all revocations, the annual rate in Florida is 0.012 percent.

The numbers are similarly low in Texas. In 2012, the latest year that crime data are available, there were 584,850 active license holders.4 Out of these, 120 were convicted of either a misdemeanor or a felony, a rate of 0.021 percent, with only a few of these crimes involving a gun.5

Again, those who could qualify for permits but choose not to walk around in public with a gun or two stuffed down their pants, are just as law-abiding, likely more so. They are clearly more rational.

I was field stripping a 1911 blindfolded before you were born. But, I grew up.

You can't tell that from your posts...you do know a 1911 is a pistol...right?

I was field stripping a 1911 blindfolded before you were born. But, I grew up.

You can't tell that from your posts...you do know a 1911 is a pistol...right?

45 ACP, and a heavy little bugger that folks carry nowadays to look tough. Know difference in a semi- and fully-automatic. But, I quickly learned that gunz don't make you a man. Hope you do someday.

It is in a way, gun lovers are typically racist. They arm up because of their fear of minorities, including Muslims.

Wow, you have quite the insight into people who own guns...do your attendants let you wander the grounds much...

Having people shut up unless they say something agreeable, has become a favorite pastime of the right.

It seems to me you are completely wrong...the only ones being made to shut up are conservatives who want to give speeches on college campuses...and when they do they have to have body guards...they have tried to take Rush off the air countless times...and try to keep climate skeptics from publishing their work...

Forum List

Back