Where does your morality come from?

HereAmIAmMe

Apr 3, 2013
Some of the people that I would consider among the most moral people I know are areligious or completely atheist. I have always avoided asking them this question for fear of seeming condescending. I think this is a good environment to have this kind of discussion though so here we go.

Religious people typically, I think, feel that morality is defined in terms of good and evil. It is easy to see where that morality comes from because to them there is something that defines and codifies good and evil.

For someone who does not believe in God where does morality come from? What defines right and wrong?

we are human beings.

Our caring fro others comes right from the design of our larger brain.

Man developed a larger brain do to the emotional ties to their pack members.

without the need for companionship and aid in raising the young humans would have remained small brained individuals.

Being human is caring as much as it is thinking.

do only one and your only half human.

Caring for others and placing their needs along side of yours is where morality comes from.

we are human beings.

Our caring fro others comes right from the design of our larger brain.

Man developed a larger brain do to the emotional ties to their pack members.

without the need for companionship and aid in raising the young humans would have remained small brained individuals.

Being human is caring as much as it is thinking.

do only one and your only half human.

Caring for others and placing their needs along side of yours is where morality comes from.

It certainly seems to make the most sense for humans living in a society to work together to make life easier for everyone.

I wouldn't argue that morality is an innate trait of humanity though. If it was innate I would imagine there would be more agreement on what is moral and what is immoral.

I've met enough people that do not find it immoral to steal or lie or even kill for me to believe that morality is somehow inborn.

Forum List

Back