White House confirms: Obama Budget Contains Middle Class Income Tax Hike

White House confirms: Obama Budget Contains Middle Class Income Tax Hike
Americans for Tax Reform ^ | 4/9/2014 | John Kartch

White House spokesman Jay Carney “not disputing” Obama budget would “raise taxes on middle class Americans.”

The White House has confirmed that President Obama’s forthcoming budget contains an income tax increase on middle class Americans.

During a Friday, April 5 White House press briefing, spokesman Jay Carney replied “I’m not disputing that” when asked if a particular Obama budget proposal would raise income taxes on the middle class.

Americans for Tax Reform : White House confirms: Obama Budget Contains Middle Class Income Tax Hike

Getting sick of seeing less of your pay check? Well, get ready to see less.:eek:
Hold on there just a minute there Slick. You should know by now never to trust two word "quotes." It is Turtle McConnell's Chained CPI that "raises taxes" on the middle class that they were talking about. It's the GOP who is trying to raise taxes on the middle class that he is not denying Obama's being open to as a good faith compromise.

Q Speaking of revenue, as you know, the President has this inflation-adjustment proposal in this plan. Time and again, the President has said that he would not raise taxes on the middle class. One of the effects of that so-called chained CPI inflation adjustment is that it kicks people into higher tax brackets faster. That’s an impact on the middle class. Isn’t that an increase on the middle class, and is the President backtracking on this --

MR. CARNEY: Well, let’s be clear, this is a technical adjustment to the so-called CPI -- called chained CPI that has been advocated by Republicans, that Mitch McConnell asked for in a letter that he presented during the negotiations over these budget issues. The offer that the President made to Speaker Boehner, and which is incorporated in the President’s budget, is not the President’s ideal approach to our budget challenges, but it is a serious compromise proposition that demonstrates that he wants to get things done, that he believes that we in Washington ought to do the business of the American people by coming together and finding common ground.

Q A follow-up on Jim’s question -- you do not and the White House does not dispute that if the chained CPI were put in -- to be put into effect, it would raise taxes on middle-income Americans?

MR. CARNEY: The chained CPI, which is a technical adjustment to how we measure the consumer price index --

Q But its practical effect would be --

MR. CARNEY: Again --

Q -- to raise taxes on --

MR. CARNEY: I’m not disputing that, but I’m saying that it is not the President’s ideal policy. It is in a letter from the Senate Minority Leader requesting that it be part of a negotiation deal.

Q All right, I'm just saying you don’t disagree, that those things happen?

MR. CARNEY: Right, but Major, and --

Q -- a tax increase?

MR. CARNEY: -- let’s be clear, as we’ve said all along, that the offer was on the table. The President made that offer because he was hopeful that we would see commensurate willingness to compromise from Republicans. Unfortunately, we haven’t seen that.

The President is engaged in conversations with Republicans in the Senate in particular but also in the House in an effort to find common ground, to see if there is a willingness to embrace the idea that we can reduce our deficits in a balanced way and continue to invest in our economy and middle-class families. And if there is, then we’ll be able to get something done.

yeap the right will lie about anything

Why should people pay more? Just for all that money to go to some third world shit hole or a bank bailout???

Lakota you're nuts.

Stupid War of Choice in Iraq for starters. But I don't have any confidence in the federal government to get the budget under control either.

Forum List

Back