Who lives in Florida?

Lots of really inexpensive homes there. Been looking up further north by pensecola, etc.
Now, I just hafta win the lottery. Or, tell Charwin to make a hole for me, MrG and two dogs with a lifetime house sitter with a lawyer written contract and we will be there in...oh...60 days or less. :lol:

Been looking at properties there...central Florida anyway or closer to the gulf side. I don't want near the atlantic. Central would be better I think. Some protection from hurricanes from either direction. Lots of greenery. And old people go there to retire. So...on the prowl in that state and thought i would see who is familiar with it, knows the best small towns that are near big cities (medical needs) and areas to avoid like the plague.

Anyone?

Live in Key Biscayne half of my life. It's a small unique secluded place close to big city of Miami. My permanent house sitter for 18 years wants to go back to Puerto Rico for good this month. Currently we are both here in Miami watching the playoff game between Miami Heat vs Charlotte Hornets.
I need a new live in house sitter. How about Gracie?

602ed6a707d89935fbd1ef18b43c45ff.jpg
d0773bfd9e22bba0c560aad128338f4f.jpg
It's not nice to fool Mother Gracie.

HBM78kU.jpg

:lol:

Lots of really inexpensive homes there. Been looking up further north by pensecola, etc.
Now, I just hafta win the lottery. Or, tell Charwin to make a hole for me, MrG and two dogs with a lifetime house sitter with a lawyer written contract and we will be there in...oh...60 days or less. :lol:

Ive known my live in house sitter for over 20 years and we treat him like a trusted family member. No one lives there except him, my 3 pekinese and sea water aquarium. He takes care of the whole house 6,400 sq ft, my cars, boat and lawn. And no he is not allowed to drive my cars and the boat. We never had a formal agreement and I paid him only $1,200 a month which he donate to his favorite charity kidney research but he is getting free food and rent. His room is a guest room studio style with complete kitchen set up separate from the house. Being said. If you are really interested I will email you the address and Theo can give you a tour.
Theo is a 72yo loner no family members except his only son in Puerto Rico. His wife passed away 25 years ago ( i think ) and he collected a large sum of money from lawsuit settlement but he love to live close to the water that is why he stick with h me for 18 years. My daughter live close by so she visit my house maybe 4 or 5 times a month. And we probably stay there no more than 60 days in a year.
Most of the time we are staying here in LaJolla San Diego close to my business and my 3 other kids. House in Palm Springs is only 135 miles away so driving there is not a problem when playing golf on weekends or week days.

Well, I would love to meet Theo, but like I said..it's a pretty long drive for two oldies and too poor to fly out there for a look see.

Sounds like he has a heck of a deal and I bet once he gets back to Puerto Rico, he will be back mui pronto.

We would not be interested in driving your cars or your boats or help ourselves to anything else of yours. We have this little thing called pride, and honor, and loyalty, and if it isn't ours, we don't use it. Not that we could anyway. I don't go anywhere unless I am in my own van and hubby likes his truck. Can't do yer lawn, don't want your food. The pay sounds overpriced but that I would take for house sitting and taking care of your fur babies, lol. However....if we were younger, i would jump on the chance to check it out even though I don't know you from adam, nor you us. But since we are old codgers not quite as old as Theo, we are hermity. Still...with my limitations...not a heck of a lot I can do.

Mostly, I was teasing you with that pic, lol.

I wouldn't worry about it too much...Theo will be back. After 18 years, you are his family now besides his son. Don't give up on him.

Then again..if you are that rich, send yer private plane and MrG and I will go take a quick peek but we want to just go and come right back so I hope your fancy pilot doesn't mind flying fast both ways. I don't like leaving my furkids alone longer than a day. ;)

Last edited:
Been looking at properties there...central Florida anyway or closer to the gulf side. I don't want near the atlantic. Central would be better I think. Some protection from hurricanes from either direction. Lots of greenery. And old people go there to retire. So...on the prowl in that state and thought i would see who is familiar with it, knows the best small towns that are near big cities (medical needs) and areas to avoid like the plague.

Anyone?
We used to have a vacation ho,e in Naples, a beautiful place not far from the Everglades. Good shopping and food, lots of activity. A great pier to view the sunset every evening.

Meanwhile...Palm Springs. Nice place but too deserty for me. HOWEVER...I sure miss Kobe's. The food was delicious. My mom took my sister and I there once for a small quickie vacation and we did a little shopping, going out to dinner, etc. She took us to Kobe's (they have one in Maui too) and I will never forget how GOOD it was. So that is my memory of Palm Springs...which happend about..oh....45 years ago, give or take.

Well hell. Everything else I have been looking at via zillow is Auction or if not, one big pile of mold and mildew. Jeez. I like water and tropical but not IN the house!

Meanwhile...Palm Springs. Nice place but too deserty for me. HOWEVER...I sure miss Kobe's. The food was delicious. My mom took my sister and I there once for a small quickie vacation and we did a little shopping, going out to dinner, etc. She took us to Kobe's (they have one in Maui too) and I will never forget how GOOD it was. So that is my memory of Palm Springs...which happend about..oh....45 years ago, give or take.
You wouldn't recognize Palm Springs and the rest of the Coachella Valley of today. Along with Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, etc. the commercial and residential development has been remarkable. And if you're into golf you'll think you've died and gone to heaven as scads of great courses now abound.

The inevitable downside however is traffic can be a royal pain in the butt durinng rush hour commuting times.

Gracie, NW FL is a decent area and has a low cost of living (housing is affordable). Beaches there are the whitest in the world (not sand, it's quartz). Summers never end and are hot/miserable, but there are a few weeks of cooler weather (60's, sometimes in the 50's).

Gracie, NW FL is a decent area and has a low cost of living (housing is affordable). Beaches there are the whitest in the world (not sand, it's quartz). Summers never end and are hot/miserable, but there are a few weeks of cooler weather (60's, sometimes in the 50's).
Name some towns, Aye. So I can google.

Mr. Gracie does not want Charwins place. Sticking out in the atlantic, smack dab in hurricane turf. We are not familiar with those forces of nature...nor really want to be, lol.

Gracie, look up FloraBama. That's the area I lived in (Perdido Key) before moving to Baltimore. It's tropical and really nice.

Forum List

Back