Who thought of posting little notes into the cracks of the Western Wall

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Rabbi Gedaliah of Semitzi visited Jerusalem and the Western Wall in 1699 and wrote the first recorded evidence of prayers being written down and left in the cracks of the Wall. The Wall became a popular destination during the 19th century as technology afforded more people the ability to travel the globe.

(snip)
Jewish people believe that a divine presence rests within the Western Wall,, so they leave hand-wtitten prayers on scraps of paper (kvitlachim) and insert them in cracks in the Wall in the hope they will be answered. The Wall has been a place of veneration for Jews for centuries and now it is a must-see for most visitors to Israel as well as a popular destination for Israelis. More than ten million people visited the Wall and left notes in 2011.

Notes in the Wall | Jewish Virtual Library

None other but a Rabbi, now the Western Wall has become like a child's mailbox for Santa. I guess the angles in Rev come down and collect them and give them to the lamb.

It's kind of sweet. Nothing wrong with a child's mailbox to Santa, either. It's not really any different than a prayer, it's just on paper.

It's kind of sweet. Nothing wrong with a child's mailbox to Santa, either. It's not really any different than a prayer, it's just on paper.

not for an adult esp when exposed:

When US President Barack Obama was running for office in 2008 he visited the wall on a trip to Israel and placed a note inside which was then removed afterwards by a Seminary student. The student sold President Obama's prayer note to Maariv newspaper which subsequently published the note. The note read: "Lord, protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins and help me gaurd against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will".
The newspaper endured much criticism in the weeks following the publication, including from the Western Wall's chief Rabbi and other news outlets for violating the sanctity of an individual's prayer at the wall by publishing it.

I wonder if they charge for this visit to the wall, anyone know? I'm sure the big whigs from the countries get to enter free.

Rabbi Gedaliah of Semitzi visited Jerusalem and the Western Wall in 1699 and wrote the first recorded evidence of prayers being written down and left in the cracks of the Wall. The Wall became a popular destination during the 19th century as technology afforded more people the ability to travel the globe.

(snip)
Jewish people believe that a divine presence rests within the Western Wall,, so they leave hand-wtitten prayers on scraps of paper (kvitlachim) and insert them in cracks in the Wall in the hope they will be answered. The Wall has been a place of veneration for Jews for centuries and now it is a must-see for most visitors to Israel as well as a popular destination for Israelis. More than ten million people visited the Wall and left notes in 2011.

None other but a Rabbi, now the Western Wall has become like a child's mailbox for Santa. I guess the angles in Rev come down and collect them and give them to the lamb.

Oy Vey! Once again Penelope shows her true love for Jewish traditions. Heh Heh!

Wish in one hand and shit in the other and tell me which one fills up first

The want to be POTUS go to the western wall to pledge their allegiance to Israel and other congressmen as well, helps them get elected.

Last edited:

When US President Barack Obama was running for office in 2008 he visited the wall on a trip to Israel and placed a note inside which was then removed afterwards by a Seminary student. The student sold President Obama's prayer note to Maariv newspaper which subsequently published the note. The note read: "Lord, protect my family and me. Forgive me my sins and help me gaurd against pride and despair. Give me the wisdom to do what is right and just. And make me an instrument of your will".
The newspaper endured much criticism in the weeks following the publication, including from the Western Wall's chief Rabbi and other news outlets for violating the sanctity of an individual's prayer at the wall by publishing it.

I wonder if they charge for this visit to the wall, anyone know? I'm sure the big whigs from the countries get to enter free.

There is no charge. Free skull-caps/yarmulkas for the men and shawls for the women (including non-Jews) are given out, for those not having them already, but they must be returned afterwards. Although there's no fee, expect alot of beggars to come over to you. Twice a year, all the notes are emptied out of the Wall, and buried.

(snip)

Often, the biggest anti-Semites are fascinated with Judaism at the same time.

(snip)

And what does this of topic rant aimed at attacking the Jews have to do with the topic of this forum. Can it be moved to the childs section where it belongs

Do they charge, or is this just another of your LIES ?

Do they charge, or is this just another of your LIES ?

A visit to the Western Wall is free. It could be that Penelope wasn't lying, but asking out of ignorance.

(snip)

The only reason I know so much abut Judaism is because your books are in our bible, so yes my curiousity was raised. Also I'm not happy with the over 3 billion we give yous a year.

(snip)

What is the point of this thread?

We could do whatever we wanted in our holy sites, what's in it to you?!

I wonder when you're going to use your head for actual thinking.

The Western Wall is in a status of a synagogue. You don't PAY to enter the house of God.

Sheesh.

(snip)

The only reason I know so much abut Judaism is because your books are in our bible, so yes my curiousity was raised. Also I'm not happy with the over 3 billion we give yous a year.

You don't know the first thing about Judaism. Don't lie to yourself.

(snip)

So why do you put little notes in the wall.

(snip)

So why do you put little notes in the wall.

They are prayers and requests meant for G-d's eyes, so to speak.

Forum List

Back