Why did Americans lose interest in space in the mid 2000s?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
In the 90s up to the early 2000s we had TV shows set in space! Multiple Star Treks, Babylon 5, Space: Above & Beyond, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly!

Ever since Battlestar Galactica ended it seems like space hasn't been as big in our culture as it was in the 90s!

What happened?

Was it the recession? After all there was no money for the space shuttle!

In 2007 a Canadian video game company actually made a video game inspired by all the 90s sci fi! And it sold millions of copies worldwide!

But sadly it not become huge cultural phenomenons like Call of Duty or Fortnite.

America turned its back on space after the Apollo program was cancelled.

I didn't lose interest, I never had any

In the 90s up to the early 2000s we had TV shows set in space! Multiple Star Treks, Babylon 5, Space: Above & Beyond, Farscape, Battlestar Galactica, and Firefly!

Ever since Battlestar Galactica ended it seems like space hasn't been as big in our culture as it was in the 90s!

What happened?

In 2007 a Canadian video game company actually made a video game inspired by all the 90s sci fi! And it sold millions of copies worldwide!

But sadly it not become huge cultural phenomenons like Call of Duty or Fortnite.

In 2001 came the Harry Potter franchise....

When fictional space became 1,000 times more interesting than real space.

rsz_firefly-53b7cdbbb7cf5-970x545.jpg

It probably has to do with the realization of the unimaginable vastness without anything humans can relate to.

What happened?

What happened?

Always been interested in our space programs but never any in the Hollyweird make-believe versions of space.

Last edited:
When they produce a propulsion mechanism that doesn't involve coasting for 99 percent of the journey, I'll be interested again.

When they produce a propulsion mechanism that doesn't involve coasting for 99 percent of the journey, I'll be interested again.
Get your point but it’s “coasting” at tens of thousands of mph which is faster than anything we’ve achieved in powered flight.
When using that method for space travel it is dangerous and takes far too long to go anywhere. When we can go to mars in a few days, I'll be happy. The moon in a few hours, yeah. Instead of 25,000 years to Alpha Centauri, 768 years. Hooah!

Forum List

Back