🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why didn't we hear about the deficit during the Bush administration?

Tomorrow is the State of the Union and Obama will be talking about the huge deficit we have. Why didn't we ever hear about it during the Bush admin when during his admin the national debt was more than doubled? The deficits were huge!

But Bush hid them. He didn't put the two wars in the budget like Obama is doing. Remember all those emergency supplementals that congress voted on every few months? 250 billion here, 500 billion there, to fund the wars. We don't have those anymore, because the wars are funded, out in the open, by the budget.

But now, we see the deficit spending that these wars are causing, and suddenly everyone's all outraged.

This money has been draining our treasury for 8 years already.

09/30/2009 11,909,829,003,511.75
09/30/2008 10,024,724,896,912.49
09/30/2007 9,007,653,372,262.48
09/30/2006 8,506,973,899,215.23
09/30/2005 7,932,709,661,723.50
09/30/2004 7,379,052,696,330.32
09/30/2003 6,783,231,062,743.62
09/30/2002 6,228,235,965,597.16
09/30/2001 5,807,463,412,200.06
09/30/2000 5,674,178,209,886.86

Government - Historical Debt Outstanding - Annual 2000 - 2009

The 2009 debt number is from the Bush administration's fiscal year. When they post the 2010 numbers, that will be Obama's.

So I was just wondering why the media is so stupid? They keep talking about the huge deficit in the Obama admin. But they never mentioned the doubling of the national debt under the Bush admin. Are they really so stupid that they didn't realize all those war supplementals weren't in the budget and therefore hidden away each year?

If you expect anyone to believe that in the 8 years Bush was in office, that the deficit was not news, your nuts.

Further, why do you Obama supporters keep going back to Bush to try and defend Obama? Whatever decisions Obama makes are his, he owns them, period. Yes, we understand what he came into office facing, but, his choices on how to handle it, are his and no one else's.

He and you, his supporters would gain much more respect if you stopped trying to shove off what he owns, onto Bush or others!

Mike

We are EXPOSING your HYPOCRICY!!!

Looking at "the defecit" during the bush years is pure spin.

Look at the national debt levels during the bush years for the truth.
The debt is where the rubber meets the road.

Now even Obama is running against his first year. Priceless!!

Oh, Bush did come in and try to reform entitlements, but Democrats would rather ride the train until we run out of tracks

Oh, Bush did come in and try to reform entitlements, but Democrats would rather ride the train until we run out of tracks

both dems and repubs just tend to build more tracks.

Or did you think $4/gal gas was sustainable?

Teabaggers don't object to right wing deficits

$5 Trillion didn't matter

You have a problem discerning between a deficit and the National Debt. And the media constantly talked about it.

By the way...the Dems didn't talk all that much about the deficit when it was shrinking. In 2006 it was cut in half to $260 billion down from over $500 billion in 2002. Then after they took over congress in Jan 07 they promptly raised it back up to over $500 billion again.

But they never failed to bitch about how much Bush was spending even though they insisted that he never spent enough at the same time. This confusing tactic was used on his father. His father said "Read my lips.....no new taxes".

Then they gave him the biggest tax increase in history and like a fool he trusted them and signed it. They then used it to help get Bill Clinton elected.

No....they used the deficit against Reagan and both Bushes. So this thread is based on a false premise.

Last edited:

How about the FACT that there were NEVER more "Earmarks" both in # and $s than under Bush and his REPUBLICAN controlled Congress. THAT IS A FACT!!

We did.

Try some other lame talking point besides 'but bush.'

No, we didn't. Bush hid the deficit by leaving the wars out of the budget. He also didn't pay for the tax cuts for the rich.

Obama's budget is honest. That's why we can see what's being spent. It was all shrouded and cloaked during the Bush admin and we didn't know how much would be spent on the wars until they asked for another supplemental.

And Clinton hid his in intergovernmental spending (I.E. the only way he could portray his 'surplus' myth)

Also... you may want to note ALL the groups that received a tax cut, and I'll give you a hint, it was not just 'the rich'

Obama is far from honest in his budget... and that has been shown time and time and time again...

How about the FACT that there were NEVER more "Earmarks" both in # and $s than under Bush and his REPUBLICAN controlled Congress. THAT IS A FACT!!

Wrong.

Obama signed into law over 9000 earmarks. A 7% increase in Earmarks in their first year of control of congress.

Also...Bush never promised he would never sign any bills with Earmarks in it like Obama did.

So who broke their promise???

Last edited:
Thanks again, for proving my other point while you're struggling to argue with me and insult me.

The tax cuts were not for the middle class, on earned income. They were on dividends and capital gains.

taxes were cut on middle class, low class, upper class, AND capital gains.

Only if middle and low class people make their money on dividends and selling stocks for a profit.

LOL!!!!!

I'm pretty sure not many do.

I'm pretty sure it's the yacht sailing, pool sitting, cigar smoking fat cats watching the checks come in who enjoyed the Bush tax cuts that will expire this year.

My god, you are truly one of the most ignorant people I have ever encountered.

I read that Hedge fund profiteers got more $ in tax cuts thant the entire CHIPS program cost.

How many of those earmarks Obama signed into law were in the Bush 2009 budget?

None...they were in the Stimulus Bill.

Bush was complaining in 08' that the Democratic controlled congress wasn't paying the bills. Most of the funding in Bush's last budget was left to be passed during the incoming administration. Most of it was left unaddressed.

I read that Hedge fund profiteers got more $ in tax cuts thant the entire CHIPS program cost.

Many of those Hedge funders like George Soros made a shitload of money off of the banking crisis. They also triggered the crisis.

Also....many of them contributed to Obama's campaign.

Many of those Hedge funders like George Soros made a shitload of money off of the banking crisis. They also triggered the crisis.

Also....many of them contributed to Obama's campaign.

Many also contributed to McCain and Bush.

George Soros contributed to McCain and Bush????

I'm gonna have to see a link.

Wrong.

Obama signed into law over 9000 earmarks. A 7% increase.

Also...Bush never promised he would never sign any bills with Earmarks in it like Obama did.

So who broke their promise???

OVER 10,000 under Bush and his REPUBLICAN controlled Congress.

Forum List

Back