Why Humans Can't Even Colonize Mars

why do you have trouble accepting that space exploration might be a solution for that?
Do you know how many TONS of propellant it takes to get a 150 pound person even into low earth or it, let alone take him to the nearest star in 70,000 years?????

It takes a shitload to get a person into low orbit. Once in actual outer space, all it takes is the amount to get up to speed, and then minor amounts to make course corrections and avoid obstacles.
Yes you need 5 miles per second to get to low orbit
Rocket fuel is extremely ineffective

If the space craft is built at a space station, the need to get into low orbit and still be safe for the frail human body, will not be as big a factor.
Yes but Rocket fuel will never get you far
Nuclear power can. So can fusion engines. First is possible with today's technologies. The second is feasible probably in our lifetime.
There are no fusion engines
Yes, I acknowledged that.
Folding space seems like the way to go. Why travel to another star, when we can just bring it to us?
What makes folding space different than dilithium crystal warp drive?
The first has a theoretical underpinning. The second is made up.
I was hoping for some Trekkie gold from him. I have never been much of a Trekkie.
I'm a huge Trekkie, to be honest. I'm however very much aware of the difference between fact and fiction. That doesn't mean it's not fun to watch.
I'm sure it is. I was kind of hoping for the detailed Trekkie explanation.
Never really explained, I think. Something about a matter anti-matter reaction within the warp core, that does something that makes the ship go really fast.

why do you have trouble accepting that space exploration might be a solution for that?
Do you know how many TONS of propellant it takes to get a 150 pound person even into low earth or it, let alone take him to the nearest star in 70,000 years?????

It takes a shitload to get a person into low orbit. Once in actual outer space, all it takes is the amount to get up to speed, and then minor amounts to make course corrections and avoid obstacles.

If the space craft is built at a space station, the need to get into low orbit and still be safe for the frail human body, will not be as big a factor.
Nuclear power can. So can fusion engines. First is possible with today's technologies. The second is feasible probably in our lifetime.
Folding space seems like the way to go. Why travel to another star, when we can just bring it to us?
I was hoping for some Trekkie gold from him. I have never been much of a Trekkie.
I'm a huge Trekkie, to be honest. I'm however very much aware of the difference between fact and fiction. That doesn't mean it's not fun to watch.
Never really explained, I think. Something about a matter anti-matter reaction within the warp core, that does something that makes the ship go really fast.
Impulse drive is achievable. Warp drive is fantasy

Maybe. If we can conquer the theoretical, technical, and engineering problems this will entail. Maybe we find a way we haven't even envisioned yet? It's just too hard to tell how. I'm pretty sure though that we will find a way.
God Got here, so we shall get there
To quote Piere-Simon Laplace when asked about the place of God in his description of the movement of planets.

“I Have No Need of that Hypothesis”
Ask Simon how nothing creates DNA in ponds
Simon was a mathematician. So I'll ask these people. Early replica.

If your argument is that science doesn't provide all the answers. I have to agree. On the other hand, science does make an honest attempt to find those answers.

The only thing God does is substituting "I don't know" with "I pretend to know". Only one of these things is a reliable path to finding actual answers.

Impulse drive is achievable. Warp drive is fantasy
At the moment sure. Can you say with any certainty what will be achievable in another 100 years? 500? 1000?

Maybe. If we can conquer the theoretical, technical, and engineering problems this will entail. Maybe we find a way we haven't even envisioned yet? It's just too hard to tell how. I'm pretty sure though that we will find a way.
God Got here, so we shall get there
To quote Piere-Simon Laplace when asked about the place of God in his description of the movement of planets.

“I Have No Need of that Hypothesis”
Ask Simon how nothing creates DNA in ponds
Simon was a mathematician. So I'll ask these people. Early replica.

If your argument is that science doesn't provide all the answers. I have to agree. On the other hand, science does make an honest attempt to find those answers.

The only thing God does is substituting "I don't know" with "I pretend to know". Only one of these things is a reliable path to finding actual answers.
And science says that nothing created everything, in violation of literally every scientific principle

If there are to be colonies off this planet, they will likely be space stations and not on planets. If we do use planets for mining or agriculture, most of the work will be robotic and the people will live on stations outside the atmosphere.
Agreed. Much easier to control the climate in a space station than it is on a planet.
Rocky moons are where we will most likely end up if we do get off the earth for real. We can tunnel down deep enough to be protected from solar radiation and meteor bombardment and there will be minerals for building materials.

Rocky moons are where we will most likely end up if we do get off the earth for real. We can tunnel down deep enough to be protected from solar radiation and meteor bombardment and there will be minerals for building materials.
Just one possible problem there: moonquakes. These rocky moons ring like a bell after a moon quake. Maybe some are more suitable than others.

Interesting article on "starshot."

For the record, Man will never travel to even the nearest star. But that doesnt mean we cant send probes and even robots:

The closest star system to Earth’s Solar System, Alpha Centauri, is 4.37 light years away. As such, it would take tens or hundreds of millennia to reach it using current rocket propulsion technology. Yet, despite this seemingly insurmountable challenge, work is underway to reach this system and, hopefully, send images of the recently-discovered planet Proxima b back to Earth.

This is the aim of the Breakthrough Starshot initiative

That might be thousands of years in the future
Humans would have to manipulate black holes and big stars to achieve that

The key of space exploration is only through nanotechnology and AI that is very smart .
Humans are not design to travel the stars .
It will be done by nano ships that can create self replicating nano machines , build mini bases and cities , mine resources and most importantly can carry human DNA to manufacture humans in AI labs

The key of space exploration is only through nanotechnology and AI that is very smart .
Humans are not design to travel the stars .
It will be done by nano ships that can create self replicating nano machines , build mini bases and cities , mine resources and most importantly can carry human DNA to manufacture humans in AI labs
Nope, we need huge ships 100 to 1000 or more times the size of a container ship. No need to go unusually fast as the occupants are now space dwellers that will adapt to space over hundreds or thousands of generations on the way to a new home.

No will
USA has the technology to try to land humans on Mars
I don`t think so. It seems to me that it`s too early to talk about that. Despite those things that Musk claims that humans will be able to step on the surface of Mars in 2024. It`s too early, our technology is too weak

Forum List

Back