🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Why is Rick Perry Afraid of Transparency?

I think that many of you would change your mind, if your name and who you donated to was made available for all to see and you got lots of hate mail and was targeted by many groups.

It's about protection of the individual who donates to any of the parties.

Why would I want to hide my donations anyway?

If I believed in the person or the organization, I'd have no problem disclosing or having that information disclosed.

What's he hiding? What is he afraid of? Why would he veto this GOP backed bill that would require disclosure of contributions over $1000?

Rick Perry Vetoes GOP-Backed Disclosure Bill

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) vetoed a Republican bill Saturday that would have required nonprofits that engage in politics to disclose their donors.

The measure, SB 346, would have required 501(c)4 social welfare groups that spend more than $25,000 in a calendar year on political expenditures to disclose contributions above $1,000.[...]

One of the Texas bill's sponsors, state Sen. Kel Seliger (R-Amarillo), criticized Perry's veto. "This is a sad day for integrity and transparency in Texas," he said in a statement. "Governor Perry's veto of SB 346 legalizes money laundering in Texas elections. The Governor's veto is ironic since money laundering is illegal in other endeavors. As other states have stepped forward to ban election money laundering by dark money 501c4 non-profit corporations, it is embarrassing that the Lone Star state is now an official safe haven for political money launderers. Again, the 2010 Supreme Court decision in the Citizens United vs FEC case clearly stated that disclosure of contributions was critical to the right of corporations to participate in our system of democracy."​

It's weird.

Why is Rick Perry Afraid of Transparency?

I see you've avoided the question thus far, but what the hell...

Why is Obama afraid of transparency?

I don't disagree that the President is not as transparent as I'd like, but he is not the subject nor are the things he is not transparent on the same as this. Instead of deflecting, start your own thread on the President's lack of transparency. Here is an article you can use for your thread.

Barack Obama promised transparency: The White House is as opaque, secretive, and hostile to open government as George Bush?s administration.

Now, would you like to comment on THIS issue?

I don't see it as an issue. As far as I know, Perry never claimed his would be the most transparent administration Texas ever saw. Perhaps he sees it as a privacy issue?

Personally, I never liked the guy...

This is why

He then alluded to the current controversy over the IRS' targeting of tea party groups. "At a time when our federal government is assaulting the rights of Americans by using the tools of government to squelch dissent, it is unconscionable to expose more Texans to the risk of such harassment, regardless of political, organizational or party affiliation," he said.

Perry is right.

If we had an honest government, he would have a weaker argument but we don't have an honest government. We have a government that thinks nothing of persecuting its political opponents so Perry is doing the right thing.

Interesting. Maybe he could be right about this as I wouldn't trust the IRS either. :eek:

Forum List

Back