Why is the USDA paying for people to get high speed internet?

I don't know how it became the taxpayer's job. That from one who would, in theory, benafit.
I can tell you though that we already bought broadband on the Navajo and Zuni.

Personally I think it is suspect, in that I mean it seems there are ulterior motives.

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Why is this the job of the Fed Govt?????
Because the Federal government has resources state and local jurisdictions do not.

Because such projects benefit rural states and jurisdictions, benefitting local economies, and in turn benefitting the Nation as a whole.

And because Americans pay income taxes for these services.

USDA Opens Application Portal for New ReConnect Rural Broadband Infrastructure Program

These funds will enable the federal government to partner with the private sector and rural communities to build modern broadband infrastructure in areas with insufficient internet service.

Because the Federal government has resources state and local jurisdictions do not.

Because such projects benefit rural states and jurisdictions, benefitting local economies, and in turn benefitting the Nation as a whole.

The Fed Govt was more than a trillion dollars in the hole last year...we do not have the resources for such things.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution that grants Congress a right, of expending on articles of benevolent, the money of their constituents."
James Madison

It doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. When you consider that the federal government continues to fund colleges that have been caught up in a cheating scandal, a couple of bucks for rural folks to access high speed internet doesn't seem so bad.

Why is the USDA paying for people to get high speed internet?
Because FUCK THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, that's why.

Because it's not their money to spend, it's ours. After all, what would you have bought by the end of the night if I gave you my Amazon password and said buy anything you like and as much as you want by midnight?

and come next Nov, you will vote for them again and they will keep doing it....

It doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me. When you consider that the federal government continues to fund colleges that have been caught up in a cheating scandal, a couple of bucks for rural folks to access high speed internet doesn't seem so bad.
We got fiber optic when the feds were here in our neck of the woods..

I thought this issue was visited years ago by Al Gore. He instituted a tax on our service providers which of course, we end up paying for. It was for the same thing: providing technology to rural areas.

Capitol Comment 197 - Al Gore’s Hidden Phone Tax: Bad Economics, Bad Politics | FreedomWorks

This is a 100% Trump/Repub program...Congress first appropriated funds for the new Rural e-Connectivity Pilot Program, known as ReConnect, in 2018.

Yes, in December of 2018 in order to try and avoid a government shutdown. I don't know who sponsored the act, but something tells me it wasn't the Republicans. It was passed as part of negotiations.

https://www.nlc.org/article/federal-advocacy-update-week-of-december-18-2018

Money should not be spent on either.

Let's see some real numbers and real accounting to support that. Otherwise it's just so much more bullshit, smoke and mirrors.

Forum List

Back