Why mass shootings don't lead to more gun control

Why mass shootings don't lead to more gun control

Because too many people realize that more gun control leads to more mass shootings.

Liberals issue isn't even guns directly, it's the advancement of leftists authoritarian power. There is nothing "liberal" about liberals.

Interesting paper that actually worked not to have an agenda.

The Shooting Cycle by Josh Blackman, Shelby Baird :: SSRN
Final-Polling-Data.png

Does it?

The entire section on ‘Breaking the Cycle’ very much had an agenda as I read it. They were essentially exploring how to change the culture to be able to pass gun control legislation. The ‘cycle’ is a rather silly thing to study if you ask me. We ALL know that it exists and why.

That is one way to look at it, if you approach the study with your own internal bias. On the other hand, they could be pointing out that the attempts to pass new laws is part of the cycle, and that the best way to break it is to stop trying to pass the laws as a reaction to a non existent problem.

They could be but they don’t. Instead, they are suggesting ways to break the cycle in order to get those laws passed.

That is not an internal bias, it’s just what that section says.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a somewhat interesting read but I can’t help feeling like duh – is it not OBVIOUS what is going on. I don’t need a paper to explain the fact that people get emotional after a major shooting and then want to pass random laws but quickly lose interests. We have only seen it happen a dozen times already.

Why should they do anything?
Your all happy enough to go round shooting each other,
You've got the right to own guns,
Why not go round the neighbours and shoot them?
Make yer famous!
And of course, they won't do anything because,
IT'S KEEPING THE POPULATION DOWN.
Actually, the best thing about it is it keeps people like you from moving here.

I'm already here,
Moved here just before WW2 finished.
And I know where you live.

Setting aside the monumentally stupid nature of your comment, did you just threaten the life of someone on a public message board...on your 16th post?

Wow, that's gotta be some kind of record.

Ame®icano;8618051 said:
There are over 400 children (age 0-14) death by drowning in US annually.

20% of drowning deaths involving children occur in public pools with certified lifeguards present.

Of all preschoolers who drown, 70% are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75% are missing from sight for five minutes or less.

We need stricter "pool control". Or better, outlaw all the pools.

Sounds a bit drastic. Let's first start with the assault pools and see how it goes.

Ame®icano;8618051 said:

20% of drowning deaths involving children occur in public pools with certified lifeguards present.

Of all preschoolers who drown, 70% are in the care of one or both parents at the time of the drowning and 75% are missing from sight for five minutes or less.

Sounds a bit drastic. Let's first start with the assault pools and see how it goes.

Yes what counts as an assault pool?

If we use the gun grabber logic an assault pool would be the same as a regular pool but with a few doodads on it.

So pools with slides, diving boards and floating basketball hoops should be the first to be banned.

Ame®icano;8618051 said:

If we use the gun grabber logic an assault pool would be the same as a regular pool but with a few doodads on it.

So pools with slides, diving boards and floating basketball hoops should be the first to be banned.

Only pools specifically outlined in the constitution should be allowed.

Pools were designed for one purpose only. To hold water. And it's the water that's deadly. If we ration water so that no one can create potentially lethal vessels of death we have evolved as a people.

Ame®icano;8618051 said:

Well, probably tougher regulations on pools. You cant have it if you're not trained. You need to pass federal swimming test and required to wear US Coast Guard approved life jacket. You'll get fined if pool and deck are not cleared of toys. No eating and drinking hear pool, or you'll be fined. All that needs completely new administration. You'll be taxed based on size of pool, subsidized if you don't have one... there is so much that federal government can do about pools and they're not doing it. Why?

And if anyone thinking its not constitutional, give up. It falls under commerce clause, pursuit of happiness, right to life and any other crap you can think of.

Actually, the best thing about it is it keeps people like you from moving here.

I'm already here,

Setting aside the monumentally stupid nature of your comment, did you just threaten the life of someone on a public message board...on your 16th post?

I was being sarcastic!
But the truth is,
IT IS KEEPING THE POPULATION DOWN!
That's why the governments organise wars,
Have terrorists running round blowing people up,
And flying planes into building's,
And of course the right to own a gun.
Think about it,
How crowded would this planet be,
If WWI and WW2 never happened.

I'm already here,

I was being sarcastic!
But the truth is,
IT IS KEEPING THE POPULATION DOWN!
That's why the governments organise wars,
Have terrorists running round blowing people up,
And flying planes into building's,
And of course the right to own a gun.
Think about it,
How crowded would this planet be,
If WWI and WW2 never happened.

It did not come off as sarcastic, just sayin'

And for what it's worth, you're suggestion the civilian firearm ownership is about "keeping the population down" is ludicrous. There were 8306 firearm-related murders in 2010 against a population of nearly 314 million. That's far less than .03%. Hardly a method of population control.

Now if you want to know what really keeps the population down, it's abortion. The number of military and civilian deaths in WW I and WWII was only 76 million people. Abortions take over 44 million EVERY YEAR.

Because most rational people don't want to be unarmed when some nut job starts randomly shooting people.

Does it?

The entire section on ‘Breaking the Cycle’ very much had an agenda as I read it. They were essentially exploring how to change the culture to be able to pass gun control legislation. The ‘cycle’ is a rather silly thing to study if you ask me. We ALL know that it exists and why.

That is one way to look at it, if you approach the study with your own internal bias. On the other hand, they could be pointing out that the attempts to pass new laws is part of the cycle, and that the best way to break it is to stop trying to pass the laws as a reaction to a non existent problem.

They could be but they don’t. Instead, they are suggesting ways to break the cycle in order to get those laws passed.

That is not an internal bias, it’s just what that section says.

Don’t get me wrong, it is a somewhat interesting read but I can’t help feeling like duh – is it not OBVIOUS what is going on. I don’t need a paper to explain the fact that people get emotional after a major shooting and then want to pass random laws but quickly lose interests. We have only seen it happen a dozen times already.

They make the point that, despite all the hoopla, shootings are not increasing in frequency, they even managed to piont out that mass shootings are actually pretty rare events. After this they attempt to explain why people see mass shootings as a major problem that needs to be corrected. There is even a part where they talk about why accidental shootings of children get a disproportionate share of media attention.

This is where we get to the main part of the paper, the discussion of the shooting cycle, specifically an examination of emotional capture and how politicians use it to pass laws that have nothing to do with the problem. Then they spent some time examining a specific instance in light of the shooting cycle, and analyzed the federal response to Newtown, and examining why nothing was accomplished. They then spent some time talking about changing the trend in order to pass gun control laws., and conclude that they have no idea if it is even possible.

Last edited:

And pools are not mentioned in the Constitution at all. You have no right to swim.

Like Benjamin Franklin said
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Thomas Jefferson also has some good ones on the matter as well.

America sells billions of dollars of weapons all over the world every year and then everyone wonders why so many people get shot.

Federation of American Scientists :: The Arms Sales Monitoring Project

And background checks are not needed, so anyone who wants a gun can just walk in and get one.

Really now? Did you just say that out loud? There were 19,592,303 background checks performed in 2012 alone, since the inception NICS in 1998, over 987,000 people have been denied. And you say people can just walk in and get one. Wrong.

2012 Year of the Gun: FBI Background Checks Soar to New Record | The Daily Caller

Last edited:
America sells billions of dollars of weapons all over the world every year and then everyone wonders why so many people get shot.

Federation of American Scientists :: The Arms Sales Monitoring Project

And background checks are not needed, so anyone who wants a gun can just walk in and get one.

Really now? Did you just say that out loud? There were 19,592,303 background checks performed in 2012 alone, since the inception NICS in 1998, over 987,000 people have bee denied. And you say people can just walk in and get one. Wrong.

2012 Year of the Gun: FBI Background Checks Soar to New Record | The Daily Caller

Ah come on now, you know facts and the truth have no place in Noomi's world . It's all about what feels right. True story...

:eusa_eh:

Really now? Did you just say that out loud? There were 19,592,303 background checks performed in 2012 alone, since the inception NICS in 1998, over 987,000 people have bee denied. And you say people can just walk in and get one. Wrong.

Ah come on now, you know facts and the truth have no place in Noomi's world . It's all about what feels right. True story...

I won't be badmouthing her. But I will never understand where she got that people can simply walk in, buy a gun and walk out. Gun shops aren't convenience stores. If you don't pass, you don't pass. We have enough background checks as it is.

I won't be badmouthing her. But I will never understand where she got that people can simply walk in, buy a gun and walk out. Gun shops aren't convenience stores. If you don't pass, you don't pass. We have enough background checks as it is.

It’s part of the mantra. If all you do is listen to the news you would think that background checks are virtually nonexistent and that you can sell a howitzer however and whenever you want. The truth does not play well at all into the more gun control mantra that currently sells.

That's the way it used to be not too long ago. Walk in to a hardware store and walk out with a pistol, revolver, rifle. Or order one from the Sears catalog. But it's the guns that are the problem now?

Forum List

Back