Why should atheists give a shit about theists?

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
It all comes down to politics. Were politics not infused with religious ideology, I would not give so much as a single shit what any individual's personal theology was. We could live, and let live. I like blue, you like red, mix nox.

However, when governments create, and are encouraged to create, laws that incorporate the religious views of one group of citizens into the enforced policies that affect the entire population, then it becomes a concern for me, and other atheists. Now, your beliefs affect me. Government creates a problem when it imposes, through enforced laws, your religious positions on me. I'm certain that Christian, Muslim, or other theists would very much understand this position

The United States, in spite of the First Amendment designed to separate Church and state, is a highly religious country, ruled by increasingly aggressive religious political leaders. The globe is littered with examples of failed attempts to incorporate religion with governance. My concern is that one day America might be counted among them.

It is for this reason that, as an atheist, the beliefs, and actions of theists concern me.

It all comes down to politics. Were politics not infused with religious ideology, I would not give so much as a single shit what any individual's personal theology was. We could live, and let live. I like blue, you like red, mix nox.

However, when governments create, and are encouraged to create, laws that incorporate the religious views of one group of citizens into the enforced policies that affect the entire population, then it becomes a concern for me, and other atheists. Now, your beliefs affect me. Government creates a problem when it imposes, through enforced laws, your religious positions on me. I'm certain that Christian, Muslim, or other theists would very much understand this position

The United States, in spite of the First Amendment designed to separate Church and state, is a highly religious country, ruled by increasingly aggressive religious political leaders. The globe is littered with examples of failed attempts to incorporate religion with governance. My concern is that one day America might be counted among them.

It is for this reason that, as an atheist, the beliefs, and actions of theists concern me.
You clearly do not understand the establishment clause. What exactly do you believe the establishment clause means?

Why do atheists think their viewpoint is the only one that matters? I'm an agnostic but I have to say the only time I get into an argument with a religious nutter is with a militant atheist. You guys are truly obnoxious. Why don't we try this. You respect the religious viewpoint of others. Acknowledge that it is every bit as valid as your own viewpoint, and leave it at that? Why must you impose your world view on others?

The reason that you "give a shit" is precisely because you are an atheist. It is in your theological make-up. You've taken a stand and you are defensive against those who believe in anything else. Now .... if you were an agnostic then you wouldn't "give a shit".

Why do atheists think their viewpoint is the only one that matters? I'm an agnostic but I have to say the only time I get into an argument with a religious nutter is with a militant atheist. You guys are truly obnoxious. Why don't we try this. You respect the religious viewpoint of others. Acknowledge that it is every bit as valid as your own viewpoint, and leave it at that? Why must you impose your world view on others?

are you as happy with sharia law in the middle east, kind of naive to not think of that as an imposition on others by religious fanatics, the same as the homegrown religious fanatics that aspire to the same deluded causes as those.

are you as happy with sharia law in the middle east, kind of naive to not think of that as an imposition on others by religious fanatics, the same as the homegrown religious fanatics that aspire to the same deluded causes as those.

Are you an atheist? Or a theist?

I am for the people living in their country being able to follow the religion they wish. I am also a stickler for if that person then moves here to the USA they leave their Sharia at home and adopt the values we have here.

The Spoken Religion of the Almighty ... absconded by the christians, culminated by the 4th century bible.

The Triumph of Good vs Evil.

The Spoken Religion of the Almighty ... absconded by the christians, culminated by the 4th century bible.

The Triumph of Good vs Evil.

That didn't answer the question. Are you an atheist?

All theists, just the one's on the board or the ones in
The reason that you "give a shit" is precisely because you are an atheist. It is in your theological make-up. You've taken a stand and you are defensive against those who believe in anything else. Now .... if you were an agnostic then you wouldn't "give a shit".

IDK, I'm an atheist............I don't give a shit.

Reread the first two paragraphs. If it were just a questrion of you have your beliefs, and I have mine, I would agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, theists are satisfied with that. They are constantly trying to use the government to impose those beliefs - or at least dictate behaviour based on those beliefs - on everyone, including those who do not share those beliefs.

I do not wish to dictate that anyone believe, or not believe as it were, the same as I do, or that anyone must, as a matter of law, behave the way I do. I do not want anyone else to be allowed to do that, either.

Most don't really except when theism is being shoved in their face and they are being told they are sinful, evil, deserving of horrific punishment or just wrong for thinking on their own, with the mind nature gave them.

Seeing people in a hypnotic state of some religion and unable to use their minds might be bothersome.

Faith in the heart of something beyond themselves is good in some cases, it motivates is to aspire to be better. Absolute obedience to some idea of a creator manipulating us because man wrote it down and used these ideas to control other people is not, it's a form of slavery.

I don't know that many atheist that are zealots, but I have seen FAR too many, and results, of religious zealots who can't think and act beyond their own dogma.

Spiritual, internally, I'm a little in awe of. Religious, not at all. Don't care much one way or the other, except historically or politically. Religion served a purpose to the evolution of civilization. Extremists/zealots, sorry, I don't have much patience for and see them as potentially dangerous in their some of their ideology.

I grew up around religions, learned to have respect for many religions, studied religions, exposed by children to religions, understand the place religions can have for some people. I've seen the best and the absolute worse of religion. I cannot believe in a god, at least not in a creator monotheistic type. There might be some as yet unexplainable force or energy out there, but handing out rules, passing judgement and playing with our lives, seeing humans as anything special or in god's image............... not in the least.

it's not logical

Some call it faith, I see it as delusional and in some cases downright deadly, potentially to all life on this planet. Dangers have been proven historically and in present day.

Love? Worship? Obey? Why does such a creator god need our devotion or even recognition? There is a universe(s) and some god is concerned about a few billion humans on this one planet?

Live a good life, if there is "something" be pleasantly surprised. Spend time worrying or praying, or worse fearing? Waste of time and energy, better spent on a search for knowledge and kindness to others.

Personally I don't belong to groups, beyond the family. I'm american by birth and choice, but I was raised globally. No religion since I was 10. No political party. No organizations, except my service to in the military decades ago. I care for life, because I've too much harmful death. I care for the relief of suffering, including the dying, man or animals.

No religion, past or present has moved me enough to believe or fall in line to some myth or dogma, not even those I was raised on.

Hypothetically, if there was something akin to a god, I don't believe it should be feared or use fear to control.

If there is a creator of some kind, love is unconditional, it does not require obedience or worship or praise of any kind. It creates and it lets go.

Rules, laws, religion are the work of man to control......not a god

Awe of the force of nature brings caution, not punishment or judgement for personal actions or thoughts. Nature nor science are emotional or judgemental, nor do they demand or require anything from us. It just is.

Reread the first two paragraphs. If it were just a questrion of you have your beliefs, and I have mine, I would agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, theists are satisfied with that. They are constantly trying to use the government to impose those beliefs - or at least dictate behaviour based on those beliefs - on everyone, including those who do not share those beliefs.

I do not wish to dictate that anyone believe, or not believe as it were, the same as I do, or that anyone must, as a matter of law, behave the way I do. I do not want anyone else to be allowed to do that, either.

Let me give you a clue. So do atheists.

Really? Name a single law that demands that theists behave as if they are atheist.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Really? Name a single law that demands that theists behave as if they are atheist.

Law? Demand? What in hell are you talking about?

Which part didn't you understand?

The question is, what kind of Atheist are you?

Do you curl into the fetal position when you see the Nativity scene on someone's front yard? Howl in pain if a store has a "Merry Christmas" flyer? Sue for irreparable damages if you see a Christmas Tree decorated in front of the local firehall?

I've seen a lot in my life, in the last decade I can honestly say, and this will not be very Christian-like; more whiny, soft, thin skinned, busy body Atheists than anytime in my life. It's possible it's never been worse anytime in North America. We are talking about outright wimps, liars and creampuffs.

The result? See the conclusion of the 2016 election.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/obama-calls-for-expansion-of-faith-program/?_r=0

Like that?

Which part didn't you understand?

Your English not too good? Where do find the absurd conclusion that "law" and "demand" have anything to do with it?

The question is, what kind of Atheist are you?

Do you curl into the fetal position when you see the Nativity scene on someone's front yard? Howl in pain if a store has a "Merry Christmas" flyer? Sue for irreparable damages if you see a Christmas Tree decorated in front of the local firehall?

I've seen a lot in my life, in the last decade I can honestly say, and this will not be very Christian-like; more whiny, soft, thin skinned, busy body Atheists than anytime in my life. It's possible it's never been worse anytime in North America. We are talking about outright wimps, liars and creampuffs.

The result? See the conclusion of the 2016 election.
Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Atheists are the same sort of people. they just don't push the same crap.

Forum List

Back