Why the Arabic World Turned Away from Science.

Science is too complicated for Arabs. Dingbat, are you an Arab?

Given that Arabic science was the most advanced in the world up until about the thirteenth century, it is tempting to ask what went wrong — why it is that modern science did not arise from Baghdad or Cairo or Córdoba. We will turn to this question later, but it is important to keep in mind that the decline of scientific activity is the rule, not the exception, of civilizations. While it is commonplace to assume that the scientific revolution and the progress of technology were inevitable, in fact the West is the single sustained success story out of many civilizations with periods of scientific flourishing. Like the Muslims, the ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations, both of which were at one time far more advanced than the West, did not produce the scientific revolution.

Nevertheless, while the decline of Arabic civilization is not exceptional, the reasons for it offer insights into the history and nature of Islam and its relationship with modernity. Islam’s decline as an intellectual and political force was gradual but pronounced: while the Golden Age was extraordinarily productive, with the contributions made by Arabic thinkers often original and groundbreaking, the past seven hundred years tell a very different story.
Religion held them back.

What I know about Arabs is they are very smart and competitive. If religion didn’t hold them back who knows.

But then would they use it to kill us? Maybe we are happy religion holds them back.

Given that Arabic science was the most advanced in the world up until about the thirteenth century, it is tempting to ask what went wrong — why it is that modern science did not arise from Baghdad or Cairo or Córdoba. We will turn to this question later, but it is important to keep in mind that the decline of scientific activity is the rule, not the exception, of civilizations. While it is commonplace to assume that the scientific revolution and the progress of technology were inevitable, in fact the West is the single sustained success story out of many civilizations with periods of scientific flourishing. Like the Muslims, the ancient Chinese and Indian civilizations, both of which were at one time far more advanced than the West, did not produce the scientific revolution.

Nevertheless, while the decline of Arabic civilization is not exceptional, the reasons for it offer insights into the history and nature of Islam and its relationship with modernity. Islam’s decline as an intellectual and political force was gradual but pronounced: while the Golden Age was extraordinarily productive, with the contributions made by Arabic thinkers often original and groundbreaking, the past seven hundred years tell a very different story.
Religion held them back.

What I know about Arabs is they are very smart and competitive. If religion didn’t hold them back who knows.

But then would they use it to kill us? Maybe we are happy religion holds them back.

One explanation, in here.

How did the Muslim world fall behind on science - and how can it thrive again?

Science is too complicated for Arabs. Dingbat, are you an Arab?
No. I’m a Sicilian from Corleone. So step lightly, infidel. :lol:

Vaffanculo a chi t’è morto. Attaccati a sto cazzo.

difficilmente caduto morto stupendo

I don't know what they hell you're talking about..

Jibaro soy.

Just as well.

lol...I just heard from a reliable source that you can't believe everything you hear..

Pass it on...

No. I’m a Sicilian from Corleone. So step lightly, infidel. :lol:

Jibaro soy.

Just as well.

lol...I just heard from a reliable source that you can't believe everything you hear..

Pass it on...

A reliable source?

Jibaro soy.

Just as well.

Pass it on...

A reliable source?
Absolutely!

Never believe dead churches, Apostasy was predicted in the Holy Bible

Forum List

Back