Why would anyone continue to claim the iraqi war was a failure?

1.) We couldn't afford it, it further bankrupted our nation.

2.) Was (another) unconstitutional war.

3.) Thousands of americans killed for something that had nothing to do with defense.

4.) Tens (maybe a hundred) thousand Iraqi's killed.

5.) Installed a government with a heavy islamic religious influence written into it. I can't believe republicans support this, my guess is they ignore this fact.

6.) Now americans will likely be taxed the rest of their lives to pay for the soldiers and bureacrats installed permanently in Iraq.

7.) Showed that we're willing to use our military to enforce UN sanctions having nothing to do with the US.

Those are just off the top of my head I'm sure I missed some obvious points. The only good thing is HOPEFULLY with the WMD lie americans have become less trustworthy of government and are less likely to cheer on another unprovoked war.

Note that these are all Libertarian reasons why the war should never have been fought. Any Republican who calls themselves a "Libertarian" (and there are many) should follow Ron Paul's advice and agree with just about all of this.

Then the Democrats share in that illegal behavior. Bush did not take this nation to war on his own, he could not have done it without the support from the congress and senate, and here is what they thought.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSwSDvgw5Uc

2. Not stable. Civilians dead in Iraq bus bombing 7-3-2011

Who detonated the bomb that blew the bus up? Us or the terrorists? And if you say our presence brought this about, you are officially a retard because these people have been doing this to each other for about a thousand years.
More stable now then it was in 2003. Have you been there? I didn't think so. The US deaths you hear of now are in Afghanistan, not Iraq, pay attention to the news and not to the Bots running the white house and you will see this for yourself.

Again a lie. There were few terror attacks in Iraq until the U.S. invaded. But, since the U.S. funds Posada, the MEK, the PPK, the Jundallah and other terrorist groups, it is only fair to fight fire with fire. Not only that, but the U.S. government uses the military as an instrument or terror. They drop 1000 lb bombs and the second someone hits the U.S. with an aircraft into a building the government wants us to surrender all our liberty. As far as people killing people, I would say modern government has them all beat. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot killed many tens of millions of people. I guess the U.S. figures that since Muslims kill each other that gives the U.S. license to kill innocents?

The fact is you are a neocon fascist warmonger and will soon find that no country ever had a military so powerful that it could prevent war in times of peace, or guarantee victory in times of war.

Also, you are such a moron to say: "Well, the Democrats did that too". In case you did not notice, both parties have been engaging in imperialism and militarism since WWII. The Trotskyites have equally infected the Right and the Let.

Terror has increased?
How would you know that?
Until it became politically advantageous to cover the bad events as they occurred in Iraq, do you have any idea how many murders took place in one year? how many people Saddam had executed per year?
Is the killing of over 30 people in Fort Hood Texas with the "alleged" killer screaming Alli Akbar any different than whats going on in Iraq? if so how?

Under Saddam Hussein, women in government got a year's maternity leave; that is now cut to six months. Under the Personal Status Law in force since Jul. 14, 1958, when Iraqis overthrew the British-installed monarchy, Iraqi women had most of the rights that Western women do.

Now they have Article 2 of the Constitution: "Islam is the official religion of the state and is a basic source of legislation." Sub-head A says "No law can be passed that contradicts the undisputed rules of Islam." Under this Article the interpretation of women's rights is left to religious leaders – and many of them are under Iranian influence.

"The US occupation has decided to let go of women's rights," Yanar Mohammed who campaigns for women's rights in Iraq says.

Maha Sabria, professor of political science at Al-Nahrain University in Baghdad tells IPS. "The violation of women's rights was part of the violation of the rights of all Iraqis." But, she said, "women bear a double burden under occupation because we have lost a lot of freedom because of it.

"More men are now under the weight of detention, so now women bear the entire burden of the family and are obliged to provide full support to the families and children. At the same time women do not have freedom of movement because of the deteriorated security conditions and because of abductions of women and children by criminal gangs."

.:Middle East Online :.

Again a lie. There were few terror attacks in Iraq until the U.S. invaded. But, since the U.S. funds Posada, the MEK, the PPK, the Jundallah and other terrorist groups, it is only fair to fight fire with fire. Not only that, but the U.S. government uses the military as an instrument or terror. They drop 1000 lb bombs and the second someone hits the U.S. with an aircraft into a building the government wants us to surrender all our liberty. As far as people killing people, I would say modern government has them all beat. Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot killed many tens of millions of people. I guess the U.S. figures that since Muslims kill each other that gives the U.S. license to kill innocents?

The fact is you are a neocon fascist warmonger and will soon find that no country ever had a military so powerful that it could prevent war in times of peace, or guarantee victory in times of war.

Also, you are such a moron to say: "Well, the Democrats did that too". In case you did not notice, both parties have been engaging in imperialism and militarism since WWII. The Trotskyites have equally infected the Right and the Let.

Terror has increased?
How would you know that?
Until it became politically advantageous to cover the bad events as they occurred in Iraq, do you have any idea how many murders took place in one year? how many people Saddam had executed per year?
Is the killing of over 30 people in Fort Hood Texas with the "alleged" killer screaming Alli Akbar any different than whats going on in Iraq? if so how?

Under Saddam Hussein, women in government got a year's maternity leave; that is now cut to six months. Under the Personal Status Law in force since Jul. 14, 1958, when Iraqis overthrew the British-installed monarchy, Iraqi women had most of the rights that Western women do.

Now they have Article 2 of the Constitution: "Islam is the official religion of the state and is a basic source of legislation." Sub-head A says "No law can be passed that contradicts the undisputed rules of Islam." Under this Article the interpretation of women's rights is left to religious leaders – and many of them are under Iranian influence.

"The US occupation has decided to let go of women's rights," Yanar Mohammed who campaigns for women's rights in Iraq says.

Maha Sabria, professor of political science at Al-Nahrain University in Baghdad tells IPS. "The violation of women's rights was part of the violation of the rights of all Iraqis." But, she said, "women bear a double burden under occupation because we have lost a lot of freedom because of it.

"More men are now under the weight of detention, so now women bear the entire burden of the family and are obliged to provide full support to the families and children. At the same time women do not have freedom of movement because of the deteriorated security conditions and because of abductions of women and children by criminal gangs."

.:Middle East Online :.

So things under Saddam where great huh?
why did his own people hang him?

If conservatives view the Iraq War as a success, then what do they consider a "failure?

If conservatives view the Iraq War as a success, then what do they consider a "failure?

The job stimulus
They way the world dealt with Saddam from 91-03
Not finishing Saddam off in 91
Sticking our nose in Saddam's business in the 80s
The lies that went with Obama-care
to act like the rich is evil because they only pay 40-50% of there income in taxes
Class warfare

Shall I go on?

Explain why the richest 1% of Americans have increased their share of national wealth by two percent over the last two years when millions of working Americans have lost their jobs and houses.

Explain why the richest 1% of Americans have increased their share of national wealth by two percent over the last two years when millions of working Americans have lost their jobs and houses.

To start with the to 1% has stopped spending money, I think the question you have to ask your self is why
you elected him

Those who have lost there jobs?m how many more jobs would we have in this country if we were drilling/extracting and refining oil right here in the good ol USA?
How about shale?
How about some nukes (power plants)
no-one can create work if the govt stops it

When the housing bubble busted all of those people have no where to go. How is that a rich persons fault?

As long as American soldiers are dying while our government funnels billions of taxpayer dollars into a potentially oil rich country, I wouldn't qualify our position as exactly successful either. Unless one makes his living in the business of oil, as did the two miscreants who lied and deceived us into this mess.

It is difficult to acknowledge that even a modicum of success has been achieved in Iraq or the Middle East for that matter. My conclusion is based solely upon the fact that the original mission was to capture Osama bin Laden. A terrorist leader whom all America had been led to believe planned and executed 9/11. Sadly the real facts are that 10 years later, the government is no closer to finding those who perpetrated 9/11 than they were on 9/12/2001. And obviously, they are as unconcerned about this as were the previous office holders.

Therefore, without taking into account any faux pas committed over the course - such as not finding WMDs, because there weren't any in the first place - the indifferent cavalier attitude demonstrated by Congress and the Administration in my estimation supersedes any of their past SNAFUs. The United States government has quite simply breached its trust with the people. But then I am a seasoned cynic when it comes to the workings of this government and those who work for it. For I've not trusted nor relied upon the words or deeds of elected officials since the assassination of JFK and subsequent escalation of the Viet Nam war shortly thereafter. :dunno:

Last edited:
As long as American soldiers are dying while our government funnels billions of taxpayer dollars into a potentially oil rich country, I wouldn't qualify our position as exactly successful either. Unless one makes his living in the business of oil, as did the two miscreants who lied and deceived us into this mess.

It is difficult to acknowledge that even a modicum of success has been achieved in Iraq or the Middle East for that matter. My conclusion is based solely upon the fact that the original mission was to capture Osama bin Laden. A terrorist leader whom all America had been led to believe planned and executed 9/11. Sadly the real facts are that 10 years later, the government is no closer to finding those who perpetrated 9/11 than they were on 9/12/2001. And obviously, they are as unconcerned about this as were the previous office holders.

Therefore, without taking into account any faux pas committed over the course - such as not finding WMDs, because there weren't any in the first place - the indifferent cavalier attitude demonstrated by Congress and the Administration in my estimation supersedes any of their past SNAFUs. The United States government has quite simply breached its trust with the people. But then I am a seasoned cynic when it comes to the workings of this government and those who work for it. For I've not trusted nor relied upon the words or deeds of elected officials since the assassination of JFK and subsequent escalation of the Viet Nam war shortly thereafter. :dunno:

Who lied?
lets start there
was it Clinton?
How about Pelosi?
[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." -- From a letter signed by Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara A. Milulski, Tom Daschle, & John Kerry among others on October 9, 1998

"This December will mark three years since United Nations inspectors last visited Iraq. There is no doubt that since that time, Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to refine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer- range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies." -- From a December 6, 2001 letter signed by Bob Graham, Joe Lieberman, Harold Ford, & Tom Lantos among others

"Whereas Iraq has consistently breached its cease-fire agreement between Iraq and the United States, entered into on March 3, 1991, by failing to dismantle its weapons of mass destruction program, and refusing to permit monitoring and verification by United Nations inspections; Whereas Iraq has developed weapons of mass destruction, including chemical and biological capabilities, and has made positive progress toward developing nuclear weapons capabilities" -- From a joint resolution submitted by Tom Harkin and Arlen Specter on July 18, 2002

"Saddam's goal ... is to achieve the lifting of U.N. sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs. We cannot, we must not and we will not let him succeed." -- Madeline Albright, 1998

"(Saddam) will rebuild his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and some day, some way, I am certain he will use that arsenal again, as he has 10 times since 1983" -- National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Feb 18, 1998

"Iraq made commitments after the Gulf War to completely dismantle all weapons of mass destruction, and unfortunately, Iraq has not lived up to its agreement." -- Barbara Boxer, November 8, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retained some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capability. Intelligence reports also indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons, but has not yet achieved nuclear capability." -- Robert Byrd, October 2002

"There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat... Yes, he has chemical and biological weapons. He's had those for a long time. But the United States right now is on a very much different defensive posture than we were before September 11th of 2001... He is, as far as we know, actively pursuing nuclear capabilities, though he doesn't have nuclear warheads yet. If he were to acquire nuclear weapons, I think our friends in the region would face greatly increased risks as would we." -- Wesley Clark on September 26, 2002

"What is at stake is how to answer the potential threat Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation of WMD. Baghdad's regime did use such weapons in the past. Today, a number of evidences may lead to think that, over the past four years, in the absence of international inspectors, this country has continued armament programs." -- Jacques Chirac, October 16, 2002

"The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow." -- Bill Clinton in 1998

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." -- Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

What does oil have to do with 9-11 and the events that began in 1991 and found an end point in March 2003?
Who said the mission solely based on getting OBL? you?
Those who are @ gitmo and those who have been killed would dis agree with you, its a different world for those people
Taliban Figure Killed in Airstrike, U.S. Says - washingtonpost.com
Bin Laden 'associate' killed in Afghanistan. 23/12/2006. ABC News Online

I was on Bush's side when he flew the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier back in the day. (Of course it was for that one mission and got blown out of proportion, but hey)

Why?

Think about what we achieved:

1. Bloody dictator ousted
2. Fair & Balanced Constitution written (no small feat)
3. Police force gathered and trained
4. Democratic elections
5. Schools & Hospitals Restored and even improved
6. Military force gathered and trained

THAT'S A LOT! MISSION A-FUCKING CCOMPLISHED!

But on the other side of things...here's what pisses me off. Conservatives I just gave you your credit...but WHERE IS THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY??

I'm talking about the personal responsibility of the Iraqi people!! Some conservatives love to bitch and moan when it's the personal responsibility of minorities or other liberal groups they want to rail against...but when it comes to an ENTIRELY OTHER fricking country...we're supposed to hold their hand for 20 - 100 years? Hell no.

Power vacuum or not...it's PAST time for us to get out. And time for the Iraqis to have some personal responsibility of their own.

The mission accomplished banner was not GWB idea
Ex-Bush aide takes blame for ‘Mission Accomplished’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
From the minute it was put up he said it was a huge mistake

Thanks for not addressing what I actually was talking about ...and blindly defending something I wasnt attacking him on. Wow. Some people around here can't get their heads out of their asses. Even when people support them.

I was on Bush's side when he flew the "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier back in the day. (Of course it was for that one mission and got blown out of proportion, but hey)

Why?

Think about what we achieved:

1. Bloody dictator ousted
2. Fair & Balanced Constitution written (no small feat)
3. Police force gathered and trained
4. Democratic elections
5. Schools & Hospitals Restored and even improved
6. Military force gathered and trained

THAT'S A LOT! MISSION A-FUCKING CCOMPLISHED!

But on the other side of things...here's what pisses me off. Conservatives I just gave you your credit...but WHERE IS THE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY??

I'm talking about the personal responsibility of the Iraqi people!! Some conservatives love to bitch and moan when it's the personal responsibility of minorities or other liberal groups they want to rail against...but when it comes to an ENTIRELY OTHER fricking country...we're supposed to hold their hand for 20 - 100 years? Hell no.

Power vacuum or not...it's PAST time for us to get out. And time for the Iraqis to have some personal responsibility of their own.

The mission accomplished banner was not GWB idea
Ex-Bush aide takes blame for ‘Mission Accomplished’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
From the minute it was put up he said it was a huge mistake

Thanks for not addressing what I actually was talking about ...and blindly defending something I wasnt attacking him on. Wow. Some people around here can't get their heads out of their asses. Even when people support them.

Personal responsibility for what?
The Iraqi people outside the green zone have took over most all of what it is they needed to do
Would you like to guess why we are not out 100%?
Iraqi PM: Forces ready to take over security - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Conflict in Iraq - msnbc.com
BAGHDAD — Iraq's prime minister said Tuesday that Iraqi forces are ready to take over their own security as the U.S. begins to withdraw but that the government still needs help gathering intelligence to target insurgents and prevent attacks.
Nouri al-Maliki also stressed his government's decision not to extend the June 30 deadline for the withdrawal of U.S. forces from urban areas includes northern areas of Mosul and Diyala, despite continued insurgent activity there.
"The timetable for the U.S withdrawal is a definite date," al-Maliki told The Associated Press, speaking aboard his plane en route home from Paris. "We will not accept any change."
The comments were the firmest yet by al-Maliki, underscoring the government's determination not to allow any extension of the deadlines set out in a U.S.-Iraqi security pact, which also calls for a full U.S. withdrawal from the country by the end of 2011.
Last month, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. Raymond Odierno, said he was worried Iraqi forces won't be ready to assume full responsibility for Mosul by the end of June. U.S. commanders also have raised concern over Iraqi readiness to take over control in the volatile province of Diyala.
Al-Maliki dismissed such concerns, pointing out the security pact allows the government to ask for U.S. assistance if needed.
'No delay in U.S. withrawal'
"There will be no delay in the U.S withdrawal, even in Mosul or Diyala," he said. "If there will be a need for the U.S forces, they will be available outside the cities."

Curveball (the one who claimed that Iraq had WMD's) was the ONLY FUCKING SOURCE OF THAT KNOWLEDGE! Cheney and Jr. based their whole attack on that one little bullshit artist who has since admitted that he lied.

Bush and Cheney held him up at their primary source, when in fact he was the only one.

Using the scare of 9/11, he was able to sell his crappy war to us.

Any war based on a lie, mainly for oil (because the previous admin were oil men), while letting the REAL perpetrator of 9/11 go free is a total and complete failure.

Who lied?
lets start there
was it Clinton?
How about Pelosi?
[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs." -- From a letter signed by Joe Lieberman, Dianne Feinstein, Barbara A. Milulski, Tom Daschle, & John Kerry among others on October 9, 1998

"This December will mark three years since United Nations inspectors last visited Iraq. There is no doubt that since that time, Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to refine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer- range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies." -- From a December 6, 2001 letter signed by Bob Graham, Joe Lieberman, Harold Ford, & Tom Lantos among others

"Whereas Iraq has consistently breached its cease-fire agreement between Iraq and the United States, entered into on March 3, 1991, by failing to dismantle its weapons of mass destruction program, and refusing to permit monitoring and verification by United Nations inspections; Whereas Iraq has developed weapons of mass destruction, including chemical and biological capabilities, and has made positive progress toward developing nuclear weapons capabilities" -- From a joint resolution submitted by Tom Harkin and Arlen Specter on July 18, 2002

"Saddam's goal ... is to achieve the lifting of U.N. sanctions while retaining and enhancing Iraq's weapons of mass destruction programs. We cannot, we must not and we will not let him succeed." -- Madeline Albright, 1998

"(Saddam) will rebuild his arsenal of weapons of mass destruction and some day, some way, I am certain he will use that arsenal again, as he has 10 times since 1983" -- National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Feb 18, 1998

"Iraq made commitments after the Gulf War to completely dismantle all weapons of mass destruction, and unfortunately, Iraq has not lived up to its agreement." -- Barbara Boxer, November 8, 2002

"The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retained some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capability. Intelligence reports also indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons, but has not yet achieved nuclear capability." -- Robert Byrd, October 2002

"There's no question that Saddam Hussein is a threat... Yes, he has chemical and biological weapons. He's had those for a long time. But the United States right now is on a very much different defensive posture than we were before September 11th of 2001... He is, as far as we know, actively pursuing nuclear capabilities, though he doesn't have nuclear warheads yet. If he were to acquire nuclear weapons, I think our friends in the region would face greatly increased risks as would we." -- Wesley Clark on September 26, 2002

"What is at stake is how to answer the potential threat Iraq represents with the risk of proliferation of WMD. Baghdad's regime did use such weapons in the past. Today, a number of evidences may lead to think that, over the past four years, in the absence of international inspectors, this country has continued armament programs." -- Jacques Chirac, October 16, 2002

"The community of nations may see more and more of the very kind of threat Iraq poses now: a rogue state with weapons of mass destruction, ready to use them or provide them to terrorists. If we fail to respond today, Saddam and all those who would follow in his footsteps will be emboldened tomorrow." -- Bill Clinton in 1998

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." -- Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

What does oil have to do with 9-11 and the events that began in 1991 and found an end point in March 2003?
Those who are @ gitmo and those who have been killed would dis agree with you, its a different world for those people

If you don't know who in government has been lying, about what and for how long, then I'd venture to say you haven't been paying attention for years. Of course, I don't know your age - so perhaps you're simply still politically wet behind the ears.

As for saying who lied and about what during the last Administration and those prior, when I said I don't trust those in government, I meant I don't trust anyone regardless of their political party or other proclivities. However there is a vast difference between Clinton's (not that I'm a fan) lies and the treachery, deceit and lies employed by Bush and Cheney to further their own personal agendas,

During Clinton's second term, it became a Republican obsession to obfuscate reality in favor of concentrating on Clinton's sexual dalliances - as if no other President in history had ever dallied in such a manner before (chuckle). Rather than conduct the country's business, which included keeping a vigilant eye on national security as well as those who might threaten it, Congressional Republicans spent every waking hour for almost 4 years scripting and acting out their daily Soap Opera. Do actually believe any of them bothered to set aside their impeachment furor in favor of acting responsibly and doing their jobs? Basically Congress led by the Republicans did everything but the country's business.

I suspect it was during this untended watch Osama bin Laden took the opportunity to recruit a terrorist team and plan an attack.

As for Clinton era lies, they revolved around his telling everyone he never had "sex with that woman." We all knew he was lying but so what, but a far cry from the purposefully setting about to further frighten an already terrified nation with lies regarding a conspiracy between Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden to attack us on 9/11. Since bin Laden is Sunni and Hussein a Shiite, there's no way they'd ever conspire to do anything - unless it involved killing one another. Of course, Cheney banked on the fact that most Americans were ignorant about all things Middle Eastern, especially religion, culture or politics. I hate to say it, but he was certainly right,

Bush took unsubstantiated foreign intelligence and ratcheted it up a notch. He told Americans that Iraq had WMDs knowing full well his information was faulty and had even been recalled by the senders. We now know Iraq didn't posses the materials needed to build a WMD.

We do know Pakistan has nuclear weapons and has threatened on more than one occasion to deploy them in India's direction. We know in spite of Bush pumping millions into the Pakistani economy, they still don't like us. I'd make a preemptive guess that a preemptive strike against them however is highly unlikely - in fact I'd say it's out of the question..

Speaking of questions, I have one for you. If Saddam Hussein had indeed been building and squirreling away WMDs, exactly on whom do you think he was planning using them? It might just be me but if I received word that the most powerful military force in the world was on its way to take me out, I'd throw everything I had at them - including WMDs if I had them.

One can only wonder what old Saddam was waiting for? To most of us that was another big Red flag.

By the way, no doubt Bill Clinton lied while in office. That's another proclivity our Presidents seem committed to having.

P.S. As to the utter ruthlessness of Saddam Hussein - I certainly won't argue in his defense. However you may wish to enlighten yourself on how our Congress responded upon hearing that he had used biological warfare against the Kurds, murdering 40K men, women and children. Our response is in the Congressional Record and it doesn't show us in a favorable light. The entire Middle East situation in which we are currently embroiled has been on-going since the end of WWII or before, possibly it began with the discovery of huge oil reserves in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran etc. Whatever it is we're doing there has absolutely nothing to do with liberty, freedom or the American Way and it never has. Iraq is second only to Saudi Arabia in the size of its oil reserves. As for Afghanistan ever bother finding out why the Russians kept trying to invade Afghanistan in the 1980s? Or which country aided the Taliban in its rise to power. You'll find Russian along with our oily fingerprints all over that situation as well.

So things under Saddam where great huh?
why did his own people hang him?

No, not great like we have here in the states, but the point is things got worse not better for Iraqis(esp women) after the shiites executed Saddam.

Who lied?
lets start there
was it Clinton?
How about Pelosi?

If you don't know who in government has been lying, about what and for how long, then I'd venture to say you haven't been paying attention for years. Of course, I don't know your age - so perhaps you're simply still politically wet behind the ears.

As for saying who lied and about what during the last Administration and those prior, when I said I don't trust those in government, I meant I don't trust anyone regardless of their political party or other proclivities. However there is a vast difference between Clinton's (not that I'm a fan) lies and the treachery, deceit and lies employed by Bush and Cheney to further their own personal agendas,

During Clinton's second term, it became a Republican obsession to obfuscate reality in favor of concentrating on Clinton's sexual dalliances - as if no other President in history had ever dallied in such a manner before (chuckle). Rather than conduct the country's business, which included keeping a vigilant eye on national security as well as those who might threaten it, Congressional Republicans spent every waking hour for almost 4 years scripting and acting out their daily Soap Opera. Do actually believe any of them bothered to set aside their impeachment furor in favor of acting responsibly and doing their jobs? Basically Congress led by the Republicans did everything but the country's business.

I suspect it was during this untended watch Osama bin Laden took the opportunity to recruit a terrorist team and plan an attack.

As for Clinton era lies, they revolved around his telling everyone he never had "sex with that woman." We all knew he was lying but so what, but a far cry from the purposefully setting about to further frighten an already terrified nation with lies regarding a conspiracy between Saddam Hussein and Osama bin Laden to attack us on 9/11. Since bin Laden is Sunni and Hussein a Shiite, there's no way they'd ever conspire to do anything - unless it involved killing one another. Of course, Cheney banked on the fact that most Americans were ignorant about all things Middle Eastern, especially religion, culture or politics. I hate to say it, but he was certainly right,

Bush took unsubstantiated foreign intelligence and ratcheted it up a notch. He told Americans that Iraq had WMDs knowing full well his information was faulty and had even been recalled by the senders. We now know Iraq didn't posses the materials needed to build a WMD.

We do know Pakistan has nuclear weapons and has threatened on more than one occasion to deploy them in India's direction. We know in spite of Bush pumping millions into the Pakistani economy, they still don't like us. I'd make a preemptive guess that a preemptive strike against them however is highly unlikely - in fact I'd say it's out of the question..

Speaking of questions, I have one for you. If Saddam Hussein had indeed been building and squirreling away WMDs, exactly on whom do you think he was planning using them? It might just be me but if I received word that the most powerful military force in the world was on its way to take me out, I'd throw everything I had at them - including WMDs if I had them.

One can only wonder what old Saddam was waiting for? To most of us that was another big Red flag.

By the way, no doubt Bill Clinton lied while in office. That's another proclivity our Presidents seem committed to having.

P.S. As to the utter ruthlessness of Saddam Hussein - I certainly won't argue in his defense. However you may wish to enlighten yourself on how our Congress responded upon hearing that he had used biological warfare against the Kurds, murdering 40K men, women and children. Our response is in the Congressional Record and it doesn't show us in a favorable light. The entire Middle East situation in which we are currently embroiled has been on-going since the end of WWII or before, possibly it began with the discovery of huge oil reserves in Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran etc. Whatever it is we're doing there has absolutely nothing to do with liberty, freedom or the American Way and it never has. Iraq is second only to Saudi Arabia in the size of its oil reserves. As for Afghanistan ever bother finding out why the Russians kept trying to invade Afghanistan in the 1980s? Or which country aided the Taliban in its rise to power. You'll find Russian along with our oily fingerprints all over that situation as well.

why is it everyone forgets these events?

Exclusive: Blix Backed Bush on WMD
Stewart Stogel, NewsMax.com
Tuesday, Feb. 10, 2004
Documents Show That U.N. Inspector Believed Saddam Was Hiding Secret Weapons
UNITED NATIONS – U.N. chief Iraq arms inspector Dr. Hans Blix believed that Baghdad may have been hiding as much as 10,000 liters of deadly anthrax before the U.S.- and British-led coalition invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

According to experts, if properly weaponized, that amount of anthrax could neutralize a city the size of New York.

The admission by Blix was found in a private report sent to the UNMOVIC (U.N. Monitoring, Observation and Verification Commission) College of Commissioners just weeks before the invasion. The college is the U.N. body's executive board.

In his report Blix said that he had a "strong suspicion" that Iraq "is hiding" as much as 10,000 liters of the exotic poison.

The private proclamation went further than Blix's public statements where he insisted that weapons Baghdad could not account for was not proof they existed and were hidden.

A senior official at the French foreign ministry in Paris told NewsMax that he was aware of the assertion by Blix and believed it was made "under pressure from Washington."

On Thursday, CIA Director George Tenet told an audience at Georgetown University that his agency's assessment on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was shared by numerous intelligence agencies other than the CIA.

Blix's report would seem to corroborate the Tenet claim.

Former U.N. chief arms inspector Rolf Ekeus had explained that anthrax is one form of WMD that is easily hidden and stored.

"In a spore form you can hide it in a cool cellar and perhaps keep it for as long as 15 years," Ekeus proclaimed.

Ekeus went on to explain that in such a form, anthrax is fairly safe and would be difficult for arms inspectors to track down.

"You can store it in a person's home. How can we search every home in Iraq?" Ekeus once asked.

In his speech, Tenet took exception with the claim made by the United States' recently departed Iraq arms hunter David Kay that the Iraq Survey Group, which has not found WMD, had completed "85 percent" of its work.

Tenet told the Georgetown audience that the Iraq group "has nowhere even close to completing 85 percent of its work."

Kay's successor, former deputy chief U.N. Iraq arms inspector Charles Duelfer, is expected to take up his new duties in Baghdad this week.

Based on statements by Blix and his predecessor Rolf Ekeus, Tenet's claims may be accurate, in a strict technical sense.

Questioned by NewsMax, Blix explained from his home in Stockholm, Sweden:

"We [the U.N.] had strong suspicions that some anthrax was still hidden, but we did not find the evidence to assert its existence."

The U.N. and the International Atomic Energy Agency (the U.N.'s atomic watchdog) resumed Iraq inspections in December 2003 after a four-year hiatus.

Despite three months of intensive searches, no evidence of exotic weapons surfaced, other than the existence of modified al-Samoud missiles.

The al-Samoud's were found to have violated U.N. sanctions and were being destroyed by Iraq (under U.N. supervision) leading up to the coalition's invasion.

Blix pointed out that all U.N. inspections and arms control operations ceased when the coalition invaded Iraq.

Since then, intelligence from Washington and London to the U.N. has virtually ceased.

Blix retired from his post in July 2003 convinced that the U.N. would not be permitted to resume its inspections under a Security Council mandate.

The future of UNMOVIC has remained in limbo since Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The United States' U.N. ambassador, John Negroponte, told reporters that the future of UNMOVIC "will be revisited at a future date." The ambassador refused to give a time table for the "revisit."

Blix is expected to tell his side of the search for Iraq's secret weapons in a book due to be released next month.

Curveball.....you know.....the Iraqi national who told us Saddam had WMD's?

Guess what.......he's since admitted that he lied.

Our whole war was based on lies and greed. Shall we talk about Cheney's company Halliburton and their shoddy construction inside the Green Zone that killed around 47 soldiers (some of whom were special forces) by electrocuting them in the showers?

How's about the unarmored HumVees that we started with?

Yeah......sure.........

Forum List

Back