🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Woman has an amazing cuddle session with a giant wolf

I'm thinking of getting a wolf once my 10 year old German Shepard passes away. Does anybody have any experience in this?

Yes, and you should be shot from a helicopter. It is a horrible idea. Some moron in Minnesota is selling them which is legal as long as they have 1/4 domestic dog in them. They are unpredictable, they bite, and end up chained until they go mad. We took one in that had spent 3 years muzzled and on a 5 foot run. It almost got me in the face. I called the women breeding them and told her she should be shot. Then called the idiots that bought it and made them come and take it back. The best thing they could have done is have it put down. Instead they gave it to an uncle so it could attack some one else.
It should be a crime to do that to a wild animal.
Thanks for the info, wow, I had no idea.

A lot of places won't even let you own a hybrid wolf, much less a full-blood, so you should check your state laws before even thinking on it. My husband and I put a down payment on a wolf hybrid then ended up having to sick Discover card on the place (Wolf Country Alaska) because it's illegal to own one - which basically means that the state can step in and take your dog [baby] away (and with genetic testing available today, animal control actually /can/ figure out if it's a hybrid or not so you've zero wiggle room to legally fight it.)

That said, huskies are the shit if you want an independent pup, though they do need exercise. I've had many huskies over my life, every one of them unique and original for their quirks and oddities. My last, an adorable husky-whippet, thought she was a cat. She hated the rain, made my husband shovel a path through the snow so she could use the potty outside, and insisted that she was the queen of the house... after me, of course, she "mew" yelled at the other dogs if they got out of line and would "scream" until you gave her whatever she wanted (be that going outside, getting dinner, having a treat [off your plate], or going for a ride.) She wasn't especially keen on affection, she'd occasionally want a pet so she'd come get one, but in general she was a dog to look at not coddle. A runner though, def. needed a leash. We also had to take her running everyday or she started tearing things in the house up - me driving the car and her running full tilt laps around the neighborhood. She also killed squirrels and shrews all the time. On the other hand, our German Shepard husky mix was the polar opposite, absolutely mellow and chill. He'd cuddle up and soak up all the petting you could put on him. He was so spoiled rotten he kicked me out of my bed. He was a huge sweety who had zero interest in leaving the yard (or our side for that matter), on the other hand he was a bit of a chicken shit and would fucking hide behind us in "scary" situations (like fireworks... It'd be funny if it wasn't #140 fucking pounds trying to get into your lap...) He also killed someones cat; the cat attacked Sally (our "beta," a border collie-irish wolfhound) in our yard, Kyska (the "alpha" husky-whippet) went absolutely ballistic over the attack (pack dynamics stuff, alphas protect their pack) but she was on her runner chain so she couldn't reach, and Yukon was just like "Yes my queen..." ~crunch~ Dead cat.

We never did figure out where it belonged, we asked all the neighbors but none of them recalled it. I'd like to yell at the owners even now, years later, totally understand why the cat attacked Sally and I was really surprised that the actual wolf pack in the area hadn't scarfed it up... It was a rough year, a heavy snow year followed by a low snow so the moose were unexpectedly fleet and the larger than usual local pack was starving to death; they were stealing small dogs from the nearest neighborhood and, no joke, ate a woman's golden retriever off the leash while she beat them with 3" thick trees just outside our back yard. Nothing creepier than a starving wolf. It's why we had three dogs, and why most of the neighborhood let their dogs all run around off leash - as a huge neighborhood pack for protection... There's a lot of sled dogs in this area, the wolves come in and steal the dogs (sometimes to eat them, but also to mate with them/drag them into the pack) and the mushers can't stop them because a healthy wolf can jump a 6' fence, or they can dig under it in a few minutes. You'd have to put all 15-20 dogs in chain collars to stop the wolves, they'll chew a collar off a dog in seconds. Best option has always been to encourage all the dogs to hang out together for mutual protection, not to mention protecting the neighborhood - wolves won't come into another packs territory unless shits real bad... Neither our neighborhood dog pack, nor our local wolf pack will cross the highway because there's a particularly nasty griz who claims that mountain so the wolves are limited to like four rural neighborhoods + the military base (which a lot of is fenced off) They cleaned out every dog and cat under the size of a retriever over here, then had no choice but to step it up and take that golden. Woman was a fucking idiot to be walking through the woods without a gun, even if not for the wolf pack, there's at least four blacks back there that'd be keen to eat ones face. Stupid yuppies failing to protect their pets.

... Sorry got a bit chatty there...

I'm thinking of getting a wolf once my 10 year old German Shepard passes away. Does anybody have any experience in this?
don't

wolves are wild animals

you wouldn't get a tiger to replace your tabby cat would you?

Forum List

Back