Women Voters

SAYIT

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2012
While times are changing, the unwillingness of many women to vote for a female POTUS endures.

Governor? Sure.
Congress? You bet.
President? Not so much.

The "why" is not the issue for me but I would appreciate the insight of women on the dynamic. TIA.

Why Aren’t Women Voting for Women?
But many reports still show that female voters remain reluctant to vote for a woman. In an AP analysis of data from the 2006 American National Election Study Pilot Test, researchers found that when it came to selecting a candidate for president, gender matters more for women than for men. And that while women are more likely to vote for a candidate because she is female, they are also more likely to dismiss her for that very same reason.

That's from 2013. I don't have a problem voting for women but I'm not going to vote based on gender. The reality is that women in politics have track records just like men do.

It's ok to look at those track records.

While times are changing, the unwillingness of many women to vote for a female POTUS endures.

Governor? Sure.
Congress? You bet.
President? Not so much.

The "why" is not the issue for me but I would appreciate the insight of women on the dynamic. TIA.

Why Aren’t Women Voting for Women?
But many reports still show that female voters remain reluctant to vote for a woman. In an AP analysis of data from the 2006 American National Election Study Pilot Test, researchers found that when it came to selecting a candidate for president, gender matters more for women than for men. And that while women are more likely to vote for a candidate because she is female, they are also more likely to dismiss her for that very same reason.

Okay this dates back to 2013, but it is still instructive. More people prefer to work for a male boss than a female boss...and I think this informs part of why women have a more difficult time voting for a woman:

Survey: More workers prefer a male boss than a female boss - CNN

Partly, the image of a female boss as a passive-aggressive micromanager who bullies her underlings is just a stereotype...and partly....there's some truth to it. Generally, the more authority a woman has and the more people beneath her, the perception is, the more liable she might be to these behaviors. And look at Amy Klobucher, the Senator who's been abusing her staff for years.

To be fair I've had a few female bosses who were questionable and a few who were simply wonderful. But in a position like "Leader of the Free World"....yeah. I'm not surprised at all that women think about this. Not at all.

My two cents.

Forum List

Back