Wow the Lakers just picked J.J. Redick for head coach!

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
You had Monty Williams available who took the Suns to the Finals and you go with someone who has never coached? Maybe someone can splain it to me, I flat don't get that one.

You had Monty Williams available who took the Suns to the Finals and you go with someone who has never coached? Maybe someone can splain it to me, I flat don't get that one.
Well Williams has a history of being fired, but reportedly this happened after their first choice Dan Hurley decided to stay on with UConn, and apparently Redick will be getting paid about half of the salary Williams just got fired from.

I agree that Reddick was a mind boggling choice, however I don’t think Monty Williams is a good coach. I’m kind of surprised Jeff Van Gundy doesn’t have a job. He would have been ideal.

I agree that Reddick was a mind boggling choice, however I don’t think Monty Williams is a good coach. I’m kind of surprised Jeff Van Gundy doesn’t have a job. He would have been ideal.
With the right group of players I think Williams could get another team to the finals. I really liked the way he coached when he was the Suns coach. But since then, he coached teams that didn't have the right mix of players. Van Gundy would have made more sense than Reddick.

Well Williams has a history of being fired, but reportedly this happened after their first choice Dan Hurley decided to stay on with UConn, and apparently Redick will be getting paid about half of the salary Williams just got fired from.
Owners quickly firing coaches is becoming the norm in the NBA. I saw how good Williams can be when he coached the Suns.

He clearly impresses a lot of folks with his basketball mind. Maybe the Lakers will give him the full 4 years to develop as a coach but he would not be a pick to win a ring now.
Bruce Botchy was kind of like this guy,,,,,no major league managing experience and gets picked to manage the Padres, they went in 4 years from 70 wins to 98 and win the pennant....so we will see.....

Owners quickly firing coaches is becoming the norm in the NBA. I saw how good Williams can be when he coached the Suns.
Either way they still owe him over $60M which will cut into the amount they will have to pay his replacement.

NBA coaching is very fragile... it's not like college or normal coaching. The NBA these days, due to the fame, money, and fulfilling of ego, requires a coach that can mange players, not drill them like Bobby Knight. Coaches are expendable, not players.

Reddick should be a very good choice for LA, given he and Lebron have a good chemistry. Sometimes having one of "your boys" in charge is good, sometimes it blows up in your face. If you hold me to a stance, I'll say Reddick is better choice than Monty.. but that team isn't a top-tier candidate to win the championship next year regardless.

Forum List

Back