Yellow is kaput

There's a lot of unused capacity in LTL transport right now and a lot of competition.

Fedex Ground, ABF, XPO, Old Dominion, SAIA, Estes and TForce (non-union UPS)... and that's just the big boys off the top of my head.

Last edited:
As for Amazon...UPS was their goto carrier before they started their own delivery service and truckload carrier business.

Yep. They probably have a high legacy costs.

I don't know if it was "bad" management. One thing I bet happened was that Amazon started doing a lot of it's own freight and "last mile" deliveries. Not far from one of our campuses is an Amazon "last mile" facility. The Home 2 Suites they always have me stay at is across the street from it. I usually work overnight doing internal audit so I am going to the hotel at 7AM many mornings. Traffic is terrible on this desolate road on the edge of town because there are--and I'm not kidding--50 to 100 SUVs and mini-vans there to pick up packages to be delivered from this warehouse. The people driving are dressed in shorts, flip flops and blouses--these are contractors.

I would imagine that at some point, the guys at Yellow, Central, UPS, etc... saw Amazon's growth and figured they would get a percentage of it; 1,000 packages a day in Tucson because that is what always happened in the past. Turns out Amazon only gave them 200 packages and delivered the rest themselves.
Except the LTL business/traffic tends to be pallet loads to the docks of other warehouses(wholesalers) or the backdoors of retails and manufacturers, etc.
Onezy twozy packages have not been a usual component of LTL business.

Except the LTL business/traffic tends to be pallet loads to the docks of other warehouses(wholesalers) or the backdoors of retails and manufacturers, etc.
Onezy twozy packages have not been a usual component of LTL business.
Right. The shipment going to the "last mile" warehouse isn't likely to be 24 skids of diapers on a 48 footer. Yellow probably thought it was going to get some of that business. They didn't get much.

Right. The shipment going to the "last mile" warehouse isn't likely to be 24 skids of diapers on a 48 footer. Yellow probably thought it was going to get some of that business. They didn't get much.
Yup! During my @20 years experiences in trucking, transportation, and distribution; LTL was usually one to several pallets. 24 pallets in a 48 footer is basically a full trailer load, not a "less than trailer load"/LTL .

Yellow has ceased operations. 30,000 employees, 12,000 trucks

Trucking giant Yellow collapsed on Sunday, ceasing operations immediately and leaving some 30,000 workers without jobs.

The closure is the biggest in terms of jobs and revenue in the U.S. trucking industry, according to The Wall Street Journal - which first reported its shutdown.

The company, which received $700 million in federal COVID relief funds in 2020, is preparing to file for bankruptcy and is in talks to sell off all or parts of the business.

The nearly 100-year-old firm is known for its competitive pricing and has more than 12,000 trucks shipping freight across the US for brands including Walmart and Home Depot.

It’s shocking and disgraceful. In part The result of the government printing trillions of dollars giving away a bunch of money locking us down.

God be with the drivers who lost their jobs.

Where is Joe Biden on this? Where is the Democrats? Why don’t they bailed out the trucking industry. Why don’t they just do something about this for once in their miserable lives for once in their multimillionaire lives why don’t actually step up and care for the middle class. Where is AOC on this? Where is the squad?

How about BLM oh wait, they steal money from poor people

bodecea

IM2

This is a middle class issue. You guys gotta speak out on this thing.

So yellow owes the federal government $700 million. Well, we give Ukraine including Nazis in Ukraine hundreds of billions of dollars. There’s absolutely no excuse for this…

30,000 Americans out of a job overnight. Let’s see what the Democrats and Republicans have to say and how they respond to this thing. All this money we give to foreign countries for absolutely no good purpose and this happens with 30,000 American workers.

Wow. You would think a company that old in a nation like the U.S that requires transport would never go under. What challenges did they face?
We are living in a time where we have seen the biggest bank collapse in modern history… the silicon valley bank collapse. Happened under Joe Biden as well. Lots of terrible things are happening under Biden …the rise of the radical BLMLGBT agenda in a country That’s the most liberal country in the world that left wing racism is going on.

Maybe they became beanerized?
That or Ragheads ran them out.
Modern day slaves are destroying all blue collar trades.
We have modern day slavery in America black folks and white folks have to work 4 jobs paying way too much money for a tiny apartment. because the government printed out trillions of dollars and locked us down.

bdtex

Another left wing racist who doesn’t care that black Africans owned slaves just like white people. Keep on hitting that “disagreed” button… you’re incapable of holding a conversation. you call yourself a democrat than stand up for the working class

Very scary that scum like you still breathes my air.
You support the racist BLM.

You don’t care that Black people owned slaves. Just like white people did. Sit there and do what you’re told by your government masters. Put on your mask.

Keep on waiving your LGBT and blm flag, wave your Ukraine flag, while supporting Nazis in Ukraine

RFK all the way support the middle class

Yeah…how dare people speak the candid truth.
If it makes you feel better, know this, there is no group of people I hate more than woke white guilt Libs.
Where do you go with that?
It’s those white left-wing fanatics that are the greatest problem in our country. There’s a few of them in this thread. They live in the suburbs don’t give a damn about the poor white and Black people of this country. They Pat them selves on the back for waving their stupid BLM flags.

Nailed it.
When you are operating on contracts that suddenly are outdated but you can't raise your rates to cover the unexpected increase in costs, your money will run out rather quickly.
No money left to pay wages, buy fuel, etc. you've hit the bingo point.

I wouldn't be surprised if other companys/corporations follow suit soon.
~~~~~~~~~
From a thread from 4 years ago, there seems to be a trend;
2019 has been a challenging year for truck drivers and their employers. About 640 trucking companies went bankrupt in the first half of the year, according to industry data from Broughton Capital LLC. That's more than triple the roughly 175 bankruptcies from the same period last year.
ACT Research has said America's $800 billion trucking market entered a recession early this year. Freight volumes have declined for 11 straight months. Manufacturing, which tracks the trucking industry, has contracted for four straight months.
The source of Celadon's troubles dates back further, however. On Thursday, the Securities and Exchange Commission charged two former Celadon executives following a multiyear accounting scandal.

The news plunged Celadon's stock to $0.41 a share on Friday — a considerable tumble from the more than $20 a share that the stock was worth in 2015 before the accounting scandal became public knowledge. As of Tuesday, share prices were at $0.02.

Excellent point it’s very difficult to keep up with Joe Biden inflation

Forum List

Back