Yellow is kaput

Wow. You would think a company that old in a nation like the U.S that requires transport would never go under. What challenges did they face?
I would suspect increased energy costs would have something to do with it.
I have a part time job moving fleet vehicles and I’ve already lost over $25k in gasoline cost increases alone since this faux admin hijacked the executive branch and spiked oil prices.

Significant impact on domestic supply chain. Terribly run company. Union pressures tipped it over, but this company sucked in a bunch of government money, already had some union concessions, and just ran into reality. Bad companies are supposed to go out of business and this one should have years ago. I would like to blame the union, but that is not the reason.

Now if we would just let banks fail..

Increased costs for Fuel, repair, parts, tires, licensing, medical ins...

Ain't democrats wonderful?
Nailed it.
When you are operating on contracts that suddenly are outdated but you can't raise your rates to cover the unexpected increase in costs, your money will run out rather quickly.
No money left to pay wages, buy fuel, etc. you've hit the bingo point.

I wouldn't be surprised if other companys/corporations follow suit soon.
~~~~~~~~~
From a thread from 4 years ago, there seems to be a trend;
2019 has been a challenging year for truck drivers and their employers. About 640 trucking companies went bankrupt in the first half of the year, according to industry data from Broughton Capital LLC. That's more than triple the roughly 175 bankruptcies from the same period last year.
ACT Research has said America's $800 billion trucking market entered a recession early this year. Freight volumes have declined for 11 straight months. Manufacturing, which tracks the trucking industry, has contracted for four straight months.
The source of Celadon's troubles dates back further, however. On Thursday, the Securities and Exchange Commission charged two former Celadon executives following a multiyear accounting scandal.

The news plunged Celadon's stock to $0.41 a share on Friday — a considerable tumble from the more than $20 a share that the stock was worth in 2015 before the accounting scandal became public knowledge. As of Tuesday, share prices were at $0.02.

Last edited:
Bad management, and bad Teamster contracts.

Yep. They probably have a high legacy costs.

I don't know if it was "bad" management. One thing I bet happened was that Amazon started doing a lot of it's own freight and "last mile" deliveries. Not far from one of our campuses is an Amazon "last mile" facility. The Home 2 Suites they always have me stay at is across the street from it. I usually work overnight doing internal audit so I am going to the hotel at 7AM many mornings. Traffic is terrible on this desolate road on the edge of town because there are--and I'm not kidding--50 to 100 SUVs and mini-vans there to pick up packages to be delivered from this warehouse. The people driving are dressed in shorts, flip flops and blouses--these are contractors.

I would imagine that at some point, the guys at Yellow, Central, UPS, etc... saw Amazon's growth and figured they would get a percentage of it; 1,000 packages a day in Tucson because that is what always happened in the past. Turns out Amazon only gave them 200 packages and delivered the rest themselves.

Yellow has ceased operations. 30,000 employees, 12,000 trucks
You would think a company that old in a nation like the U.S that requires transport would never go under. What challenges did they face?

Those terrible republicans must be to blame! They will do anything to ruin the Great Joe Biden's Wonderful Booming Economy! :FIREdevil: :rock:

Forum List

Back