You know what this reminds me of?

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
There was this company called Enron back in the late 1990's over in Houston. They were pretty much bulletproof. You couldn't go to Houston without hearing about some sort of festival they were sponsoring, program they were endorsing, or find a pie their fingers were not in (See Enron Field where the Astros play).

Well, as we know now, the profits supposedly being generated were largely done through accounting tricks and the house of cards fell quickly in late 2001. I always thought it had something to do with the psychology of the time but there was no doubt that Enron was no where near as profitable as it said it was.

Signs of the fall in 2001 were all around but connecting the dots before the collapse is always harder than after. One of the biggest "dots" was an April conference call with analysts where Enron CEO Jeff Skilling responded to intense questioning by calling the analyst an "asshole". You don't do that on a recorded conference call.

This reminds me of the threat the White House e-mailed to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward. We should all be able to agree that Woodward is above reproach in terms of integrity if not always accuracy--such is the life of a reporter.

It seems to me that this may be the first sign of the classic second term malaise and misstep. I voted for President Obama and support a great many of his policies. Why his administration decided to hamstring itself in such a clumsy and frankly stupid methodology is bewildering. More troublesome is that it is totally out of character for this group and such an attack on Woodward of all people is more than enough reason for me to raise my eyebrows.

They should just brush it off. Woodward is just trying to sell his book

Looks to me like Sequestor worked to the benefit of the Dems.

The GOP compromised on new tax rates to get the threat of Sequestor in place, expecting that they'd be in the White House and control Congress by the time it kicked in.

They figured they'd be able to ram through still more tax cuts for billionaires, and slash social spending and head off the Sequestor.

Now they're stuck with the Sequestor, and if they want to head it off they have to compromise with the Dems some more.

Why?

Because the people most hurt by Sequestor are associated with the military industrial complex...THE GOP's MASTERS

Last edited:
There was this company called Enron back in the late 1990's over in Houston. They were pretty much bulletproof. You couldn't go to Houston without hearing about some sort of festival they were sponsoring, program they were endorsing, or find a pie their fingers were not in (See Enron Field where the Astros play).

Well, as we know now, the profits supposedly being generated were largely done through accounting tricks and the house of cards fell quickly in late 2001. I always thought it had something to do with the psychology of the time but there was no doubt that Enron was no where near as profitable as it said it was.

Signs of the fall in 2001 were all around but connecting the dots before the collapse is always harder than after. One of the biggest "dots" was an April conference call with analysts where Enron CEO Jeff Skilling responded to intense questioning by calling the analyst an "asshole". You don't do that on a recorded conference call.

This reminds me of the threat the White House e-mailed to Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward. We should all be able to agree that Woodward is above reproach in terms of integrity if not always accuracy--such is the life of a reporter.

It seems to me that this may be the first sign of the classic second term malaise and misstep. I voted for President Obama and support a great many of his policies. Why his administration decided to hamstring itself in such a clumsy and frankly stupid methodology is bewildering. More troublesome is that it is totally out of character for this group and such an attack on Woodward of all people is more than enough reason for me to raise my eyebrows.

When you have a large majority of the press corp telling you for years how awesome you are, and then someone highly respected in those circles tells you something you don't like, I am not suprised the response is vitrol and venom.

One of the worst thing a member of the inner circle can do is go outside the "groupthink" in public.

When you have a large majority of the press corp telling you for years how awesome you are, and then someone highly respected in those circles tells you something you don't like, I am not suprised the response is vitrol and venom.

One of the worst thing a member of the inner circle can do is go outside the "groupthink" in public.

Yeah but one thing that Bob Woodward doesn't have to worry about that assumingly public officials must is public opinion. If I'm sitting in the White House Press Room and I see the run that Woodward is getting by simply pointing out a ludicrous position of the Obama administration, I'm on the Twitter doing the same thing.

Looks to me like Sequestor worked to the benefit of the Dems.

The GOP compromised on new tax rates to get the threat of Sequestor in place, expecting that they'd be in the White House and control Congress by the time it kicked in.

They figured they'd be able to ram through still more tax cuts for billionaires, and slash social spending and head off the Sequestor.

Now they're stuck with the Sequestor, and if they want to head it off they have to compromise with the Dems some more.

Why?

Because the people most hurt by Sequestor are associated with the military industrial complex...THE GOP's MASTERS

GOP stuck wit h the sequester? LOL The Obama sequester? This albatross is firmly around his neck.

Need I remind you that the House created sequester replacement bills in both May and December last year. Tell us what the Senate and Obama did to head it off? Nothing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back