You ready to pay Kama-Kama-Chameleon's 25% tax on the ultra-wealthy's unrealized capital gains?

Not when, for example, it's inherited.

I've seen many articles complain against the tax without giving the details of the tax. Makes me suspicious.
The dems' plan has separate provisions to get rid of the stepped up basis (inherited property) and unrealized gains by people worth more then one hundred million.

All this is sort tied to the sunsetting 2017 McConell personal taxes law, and the elimination of SALT deductions. And I don't think the gop will have the House votes to enact that again.

The prime caveat being the Glenshaw was explicit that their ruling was "not meant to provide a touchstone to all future gross income questions."
No.

That was a reference to another case. It wasn’t a caveat as to what the meaning of “income” was.

Bottom line: as used in the 16th Amendment, “income” had a meaning and still does. Nobody alive at the time of the Amendment would have contemplated “income” as a paper gain on the value of shares in a company without a sale to accept such gain.

The entire thread is premised on a lie, according to you.
Well the OP is ... if not a lie then an intentional misrepresentation of facts. The dems' plans are probably the opening bid, and no one is after unrealized gains unless the taxpayer is worth more than 100million, and the notion of stepped up basis for people who never have to work has been offensive since 1980.

Previous supreme courts have made it clear that income taxes do not have to apply the same rates to different incomes. Equal protection is not at issue.
You’re talking about a so-called “progressive” taxation schedule versus a “flat” tax.

That’s different from the imposition of an unrealized gains tax on just an arbitrary group of those citizens worth $100 million versus all those with a lower level of wealth.

The fact that it’s arbitrary like that is worrying enough. For, next year she might seek to obtain a new definition of the very wealthy (maybe lowering it to those with wealth of over merel a million dollars).

But the point is: it isn’t a progressive tax. It’s merely a soak the rich tax scheme.

Not when, for example, it's inherited.

I've seen many articles complain against the tax without giving the details of the tax. Makes me suspicious.
If the proceeds of an estate give the heir a lump some of say $2 million, that can be considered an income — “from any source.”

We can argue against the inclusion of an inheritance as “income.” But as long as it’s presently characterized as income, it is taxable.

That has nothing to do with whether it’s a realized gain. It’s dnits now in my possession and controllable by me, it is realized.

If the proceeds of an estate give the heir a lump some of say $2 million, that can be considered an income — “from any source.”

We can argue against the inclusion of an inheritance as “income.” But as long as it’s presently characterized as income, it is taxable.

That has nothing to do with whether it’s a realized gain. It’s dnits now in my possession and controllable by me, it is realized.
Currently, if a gain is not realized, it is not taxable.

The stepped up basis refers to inherited property, whereby the person inheriting the property gets his basis "stepped up" to the value the property is worth when he inherits it, and again, there is NO tax levied unless the income is realized by selling the inherited property.

The taxation of unrealized gains is a fanciful idea by dems to tax people worth over 100 million on unrealized gains.

Forum List

Back