81-year-old Ohio man charged with murder for shooting Black Uber driver

Let’s see if I can explain this. If you use deadly force, the cops are going to investigate. They’re going to ask you a lot of questions. You need to tell a story about the use of force, to show it was justified. The cops will compare your story with the evidence. IF you say that the baddie attacked you, there needs to be something to back it up. Defensive bruises, something. Video is good for that sort of proof.

Video is also good at poking big holes in the story.

Now, think this through. Someone threatens you over the phone, and a driver shows up. An UBER driver. You are convinced they are part of the conspiracy. But there is a problem. The driver uses her phone to show you the assignment. If you’ve never used Uber let me explain how it works.

You post for a ride or a meal or whatever. The closest drivers are given the opportunity to accept the job. They are independent after all. When one accepts the job, it pops on your screen that the driver is on the way.

Now, for this woman to be involved, she would have to arrange to be closer than other drivers, and not taking any other jobs that might interfere to accept the UBER dispatch.

Now, maybe the madman who was a shooter didn’t understand that. Maybe he was ignorant. But he wasn’t listening to her explain. I’m operating on the assumption that she was trying to explain to him what happened. Why she was there. He wasn’t listening. Because he was convinced he had a bad guy, or girl if you prefer. That coupled with the video showing him pursuing her, with his gun out, tells part of the story.

The news report tells more of the story, and we are left to connect the dots as to why he was charged.

But in the end, none of that matters as much as the reasons we as a society sanction use of force. We acknowledge and have legislated reasons that use of force are acceptable. The reason is self defense. Or defense of another. From life threatening situations. We call it the reasonable man standard. Even though that was essentially eliminated by law, it is still what we use. We just call it something else now. Would a reasonable person in your situation do the same thing?

If you use lethal force without such justification, you are facing serious criminal penalties.

I don’t know Ohio law. I know Georgia law, and let me explain what crimes were committed by this fellow under those laws. Aggravated Assault. Attempted Illegal Imprisonment. Murder. Felony Murder. In Georgia, if you are convicted of Murder, the only penalty you can face then is Life, or I suppose Death. Normally the penalty is Life, the only question left is with, or without, the possibility of parole. That can’t happen for at least thirty years, should you get the possibility wildcard.

This fellow is in a lot of trouble. It wasn’t a life or death situation in which he employed lethal force. He is going to have a hard time selling the I was afeared for my life. He was armed, she was not, and she was trying to leave.

So much drivel, so much nothing burgers. You saw at most one second of video. You currently know nothing about this incident. Make all the inane idiot speeches you want, this whole incident was caused by the criminals, and no amount of you babbling changes a thing.

Aw, Glamping Goober is full of shit?! The hell you say! :omg:

You can shoot somebody that's trying to break into your home.
Even if she was trying to break into his home...which is HIGHLY unlikely...he still pursued her before shooting her again.

So much drivel, so much nothing burgers. You saw at most one second of video. You currently know nothing about this incident. Make all the inane idiot speeches you want, this whole incident was caused by the criminals, and no amount of you babbling changes a thing.

Yep. And the 81 year old kidnapper, armed robber, and murderer is charged with the crimes.

he must have had some mental issue. at 81 if they can proove that he will go t o the nut house. terribly sad my gosh.
The 81 year old guy will get what is coming to him for shooting an "unarmed" individual who wasn't attacking or threatening him, just backing away and trying to leave. End of story.

The 81 year old guy will get what is coming to him for shooting an "unarmed" individual who wasn't attacking or threatening him, just backing away and trying to leave. End of story.
Yes, no doubt but this is a very bizzare story....who first of all threatend the guy and his family on the phone...setting the stage for what followed?

And what are the odds that a innocent uber driver suddenly gets a order to go pick up a package at the shooters house?...did whoever it was that threatened the old fellow and his family also set up the uber driver? Or was the uber driver part of the attempted scam?

Anyhow it is all very strange and a huge tragedy for all involved...most especially for the uber driver if as it appears she was just an innocent victim

It would not be surprising to me if it was not some teenager who set the whole thing up...just for the fun of it and to prove he was just oh so smart to be able to do such a thing.

Anyhow the old guy will die in prison most likely...he has lived his life anyhow....if the defense can prove he is senile or has some kind of mental illness...which certainly is possible given the circumstances...he might escape a life sentence.

A very sad case all around .

he must have had some mental issue. at 81 if they can proove that he will go t o the nut house. terribly sad my gosh.
Yes, no doubt but this is a very bizzare story....who first of all threatend the guy and his family on the phone...setting the stage for what followed?

And what are the odds that a innocent uber driver suddenly gets a order to go pick up a package at the shooters house?...did whoever it was that threatened the old fellow and his family also set up the uber driver? Or was the uber driver part of the attempted scam?

Anyhow it is all very strange and a huge tragedy for all involved...most especially for the uber driver if as it appears she was just an innocent victim

It would not be surprising to me if it was not some teenager who set the whole thing up...just for the fun of it and to prove he was just oh so smart to be able to do such a thing.

Anyhow the old guy will die in prison most likely...he has lived his life anyhow....if the defense can prove he is senile or has some kind of mental illness...which certainly is possible given the circumstances...he might escape a life sentence.

A very sad case all around .
Aside from the tragedy of the death of the Uber driver and the incarceration of the elderly guy, the other tragedy is that they aren't certain they can pin an actual crime on the prankster, who should also be sent to prison. After all, if someone dies during the commission of a crime, whether victim or perpetrator, a charge of murder is imposed on other living criminals involved and in this case the prankster should also be charged, in my opinion.

depending on what the investigation and trial finds. they will decide,. he still could end up put away in the looney bin.

Forum List

Back