Top Conservative Judge 'Profoundly' Worried By Right-Wing Court's Direction, Believes Trump Will Skate On Coup Crimes

Grim outlook for Democracy? That's absurd. Trump saved Democracy and now he's going to have to do it again. It'll help that the swamp has exposed itself a lot more during the last 3 1/2 years. MAGA

Shocker From Top Conservative Judge: Trump Likely To Skate Completely​

J. Michael Luttig sees two potential outcomes from Thursday’s Supreme Court arguments. Both are grim for our democracy.​

“I’m profoundly disturbed about the apparent direction of the court,” J. Michael Luttig told me. “I now believe that it is unlikely Trump will ever be tried for the crimes he committed in attempting to overturn the 2020 election.”

I called Luttig, a former federal judge with extensive conservative credentials, to solicit his reaction to this week’s Supreme Court hearing over Donald Trump’s demand for absolute immunity from prosecution for any crimes related to his insurrection attempt. On Thursday, Luttig posted a thread critiquing the right-wing justices for their apparent openness to Trump’s arguments—but that thread was legalistic and formal, so I figured Luttig had a lot more to say.

And did he ever. Luttig lacerated the right-wing justices for harboring a “radical vision” of the American presidency, and pronounced himself “gravely” worried that Trump will never face accountability for alleged crimes committed in attempting to destroy U.S. democracy through extensive procedural corruption and the naked incitement of mob violence.

Luttig’s fear that Trump may very well skate centers on the lines of questioning from the court’s right-wing majority about Special Counsel Jack Smith’s ongoing prosecution of Trump. As many observers noted, those justices appeared largely uninterested in the question before them—whether Trump’s alleged crimes related to the insurrection constituted official presidential acts that are immune from prosecution after leaving office.

Instead, the justices dwelled on the supposed future consequences of prosecuting presidents for crimes, and seemed to want to place some limits on that eventuality. That suggests the justices will kick the case back to lower courts to determine whether some definition of official presidential acts must be protected (and whether Trump’s specific acts qualify).

Such a move would almost certainly push Trump’s trial until after the election, and if he wins, he can simply cancel prosecutions of himself. Luttig fears that outcome. But he also worries that even if Trump loses the election, there may well be five Supreme Court votes for siding with Trump’s demand for immunity. Both outcomes would functionally end his prosecution.

“I believe it is now likely either that Trump will get elected and instruct his attorney general to drop the charges, or that the Supreme Court will grant him immunity from prosecution,” Luttig told me.

More at the link below...

Top Conservative Judge 'Profoundly' Worried By Right-Wing Court's Direction, Believes Trump Will Skate On Coup Crimes

I am greatly disappointed that Trump may never be held fully accountable for his actions! I am greatly disappointed in our current judicial system - especially SCOTUS. What do you think?
Hopefully January 2025, newly elected President Trump sends Luttig to a MAGA reeducation center, but just for a few days to show him how bad it could have been if Biden Body Double cheated his way to reelection

J. Michael Luttig sees two potential outcomes from Thursday’s Supreme Court arguments. Both are grim for our democracy.​

“I’m profoundly disturbed about the apparent direction of the court,” J. Michael Luttig told me. “I now believe that it is unlikely Trump will ever be tried for the crimes he committed in attempting to overturn the 2020 election.”

I called Luttig, a former federal judge with extensive conservative credentials, to solicit his reaction to this week’s Supreme Court hearing over Donald Trump’s demand for absolute immunity from prosecution for any crimes related to his insurrection attempt. On Thursday, Luttig posted a thread critiquing the right-wing justices for their apparent openness to Trump’s arguments—but that thread was legalistic and formal, so I figured Luttig had a lot more to say.

And did he ever. Luttig lacerated the right-wing justices for harboring a “radical vision” of the American presidency, and pronounced himself “gravely” worried that Trump will never face accountability for alleged crimes committed in attempting to destroy U.S. democracy through extensive procedural corruption and the naked incitement of mob violence.

Luttig’s fear that Trump may very well skate centers on the lines of questioning from the court’s right-wing majority about Special Counsel Jack Smith’s ongoing prosecution of Trump. As many observers noted, those justices appeared largely uninterested in the question before them—whether Trump’s alleged crimes related to the insurrection constituted official presidential acts that are immune from prosecution after leaving office.

Instead, the justices dwelled on the supposed future consequences of prosecuting presidents for crimes, and seemed to want to place some limits on that eventuality. That suggests the justices will kick the case back to lower courts to determine whether some definition of official presidential acts must be protected (and whether Trump’s specific acts qualify).

Such a move would almost certainly push Trump’s trial until after the election, and if he wins, he can simply cancel prosecutions of himself. Luttig fears that outcome. But he also worries that even if Trump loses the election, there may well be five Supreme Court votes for siding with Trump’s demand for immunity. Both outcomes would functionally end his prosecution.

“I believe it is now likely either that Trump will get elected and instruct his attorney general to drop the charges, or that the Supreme Court will grant him immunity from prosecution,” Luttig told me.

I am greatly disappointed that Trump may never be held fully accountable for his actions! I am greatly disappointed in our current judicial system - especially SCOTUS. What do you think?
This is what’s known in the trade as ONE MAN’s OPINION

If the ruling is for Trump as we hope - and given the unpredictability of the mercurial black robes thats a big if - then lefties will believe that this one largely forgotten ex-judge is right and all the conservatives on the high court are, wrong

Only in lib la la land does that make sense

Last edited:
Luttig of course is now a RINO
There's a decent chance that, particularly with the SC's help, the "hush money" trial may be the only one Trump has to deal with. And all it takes is for one True Believer on the jury, and that trial nets nothing.

He's played the system his whole life, and he's doing it again. If he wins, this country deserves what it gets: An autocrat who will grab as much power as he can.

There's a decent chance that, particularly with the SC's help, the "hush money" trial may be the only one Trump has to deal with. And all it takes is for one True Believer on the jury, and that trial nets nothing.

He's played the system his whole life, and he's doing it again. If he wins, this country deserves what it gets: An autocrat who will grab as much power as he can.
So how can Trump "grab power" when the constitution and the House and Senate will be jerking his chain every chance they get?

p.s. the OP calling Luttig a "conservative" is a joke. Luttig is a Leftist like Tribe.

So how can Trump "grab power" when the constitution and the House and Senate will be jerking his chain every chance they get?

p.s. the OP calling Luttig a "conservative" is a joke. Luttig is a Leftist like Tribe.
I dont know Luttig, so I cant swear that he doesent have a conservative bone in his body

He was appointed by george hw bush which means he’s likely to be a loyal swamp rat who may swing to the right

But the entire bush clan and all their lackeys hate trump and us MAGAs

And that has more to do with inside washington politics and control of the great unwashed base voters by the elites than it does any conservative issue

Top Conservative Judge 'Profoundly' Worried By Right-Wing Court's Direction, Believes Trump Will Skate On Cou
Should Trump be re-elected the prospect of him being tried for the failed attempt to install himself as the unelected prez has a better chance of going forward than Luttig thinks. Unless there is a statute of limitations. I say this because even Trump's lawyer, John Sauer, acknowledged the crimes Don is alleged to have committed are not official acts. He did so during questioning from A C Barrett. She read the charges from Smith's indictment, asking each time if the alleged crime constituted a private or official act. Each time Sauer answered private as I explained here.

The justices were in broad agreement only what can be considered official acts have any claim to immunity.

Luttig a leftist?

You people are deranged

A "former federal judge" is a civilian just like you and me. No telling what his mental state might be but his opinion is no more valuable than anyone else.

there's no "coup crimes", dope.

he was president. he could have just declared emergency and take over.

why would he rely on trump supporters when he controlled the military?

Luttig and Tribe put up identical arguments about Alvin's bullshit case against Trump.
No conservative would go along with that Banana Republic bullshit.

Hell, even Dershowitz called it bullshit.
Dersh is a Trump sucking hack

LaCooter------------------->why is it all you do is look at conservatives, then find 1 or 2, or maybe 3 who/whom nobody ever heard of and proclaim their brilliance, because they agree with you! Ridiculous.

How about a reversal? Ever hear of Tulsi Gabbard? Or how about all the Democrats leaving the party that are now in office, fleeing to the GOP in droves?

Look, I am not telling you your side is not going to win, but you paid posters for the far Left, are pretty pathetic. I know you and your friends do not care what I say, and you are all about "flooding the zone" with anything/everything, that makes your person look good.

Gotta tell you------------->this election is MORE about you; should you lose, then us; should we lose. 75% of Americans know you are lying through your teeth, but have to listen, because you have made Trump so toxic. If it all falls apart and he sheds most of your friends accusations, you DO realize, that not only is he going to get elected, but he WILL have a massive mandate, and you are HOSED!

You keep on LACooter, because if you and your friends fail to sell your point of view, YOU ARE DONE FOR 8 to 12 years-)

Either you win..................or we both might have assumed room temperature, when things change-) I have adult children, so I am doing everything I can to insure people like you, have to pay the piper!

Zzz

Forum List

Back