10 Medical Workers Killed by Taliban

Whether or not the US should or shouldn't be in Afghanistan isn't the point: The Opthomolgist and his multinational staff were volunteers from a non-government entity.
Why isn't that the point?! Every news article on this topic specifies them as "Christian group doing aid work". You seem to be the only one taking an opposite spin.

Yes, it's bad they were killed. But again it comes as no surprise if they were trying to make martyrs of themselves.

They were part of a medical group that happen to be Christian based. Trying to give medical aid to people in remote areas of Afghanistan. So much for trying to help others
Help others with EYE CARE! Come on. Maybe they should have tried to help others with arts and crafts! That's a huge help! Do you know how far ophthomology treatment goes in a third world area? It generally needs a good amount of technology. Even in America, the mobile groups need an entire van full of equipment that is regularly stocked.

Before making such a juvenile comment, you may want to do some research.

"Also among those killed was Tom Little, an American optometrist from Delmar, N.Y., who'd been working with IAM in Afghanistan for decades, supervising eye hospitals in Kabul and smaller clinics in several other towns. "

The quote I bolded states that there are eye hospitals (plural) and clinics (also plural). So I guess they have access to more than "a van full of equipment". Since when is eye care not an important medical service, because you make a joke of it?
The bottom line is, unarmed volunteers were murdered by islamic extremist which is really the focus of the debate. The fact that they were Christians should not have any impact in the discussion as 1 doctor had been volunteering there for over 30 years.

The request for the citing that I'm asking for is simply a request: I cannot find it, although I'd like to. The reason I'd like to find it is it would provide evidence to contradict the numerous numbskulls that believe that Islam not only is apathetic to the deaths of aid workers, but supports it.

Oddly, it seems impossible to find ONE freakin' article. The reason I'm somewhat astonished is that some Islamic countries are poor, and depend upon foriegn aid. I would think these would certainly condemn the murders of foreign aid workers, but where is it??
In one sentence you identify and understand that a large portion of Muslim countries are poor. In the next sentence you don't understand why they haven't watched the news of this act on their plasma screen HD TVs, gotten on their laptops, and used their Verizon wireless to inform you that they dislike the killings of 8 people in a corner of the world where that type of situation is commonplace and goes unnoticed.

I think it's safe to say there's a bit of a cultural incompetency in your request. You are correct in your assumption that a poor area would welcome aid and not wish them to be killed. It comes as no surprise to me that every news article on the topic directly states that locals had warned them to avoid that particular area because they were worried about the worker's well being. This fact seems seems to "not count" in your eyes because there's not an article about only that.

Whether or not the US should or shouldn't be in Afghanistan isn't the point: The Opthomolgist and his multinational staff were volunteers from a non-government entity.
Why isn't that the point?! Every news article on this topic specifies them as "Christian group doing aid work". You seem to be the only one taking an opposite spin.

Yes, it's bad they were killed. But again it comes as no surprise if they were trying to make martyrs of themselves.

They were part of a medical group that happen to be Christian based. Trying to give medical aid to people in remote areas of Afghanistan. So much for trying to help others
Help others with EYE CARE! Come on. Maybe they should have tried to help others with arts and crafts! That's a huge help! Do you know how far ophthomology treatment goes in a third world area? It generally needs a good amount of technology. Even in America, the mobile groups need an entire van full of equipment that is regularly stocked.

"Also among those killed was Tom Little, an American optometrist from Delmar, N.Y., who'd been working with IAM in Afghanistan for decades, supervising eye hospitals in Kabul and smaller clinics in several other towns. "

The quote I bolded states that there are eye hospitals (plural) and clinics (also plural). So I guess they have access to more than "a van full of equipment". Since when is eye care not an important medical service, because you make a joke of it?
The bottom line is, unarmed volunteers were murdered by islamic extremist which is really the focus of the debate. The fact that they were Christians should not have any impact in the discussion as 1 doctor had been volunteering there for over 30 years.
Oh so you think these clinics were just stocked full of medical equipment? As if the area was prosperous and they only needed a doctor to use all their great technology?! HA! With regard to any medical aid, workers generally need to bring their own supplies, regardless of what physical facilities are provided. Or did you think they just went to the factory next door making sterile gauze and contact lenses? IF there were in fact hospitals dedicated to eye care with all the supplies already stocked, I can assure you they wouldn't need a single doctor from across the world as aid.

The fact that they were Christians have FUELED the discussion, as the group identifies itself as a Christian group doing aid work, not an aid group that happened to be comprised of Christians. That particular eye doctor had been banned from the country by the government peacefully previously for trying to convert people. He then returned to the country. There are easy ways to make a martyr of oneself. Returning to a country that kicked you out, and ignoring all warnings to stay away from a particular area is a fast pass to it.

I rarely read 10 pages of moron diahrea here. I meant the press. I don't expect sympathy out of the mostly racist Christians here.

Oh so you think these clinics were just stocked full of medical equipment? As if the area was prosperous and they only needed a doctor to use all their great technology?! HA! With regard to any medical aid, workers generally need to bring their own supplies, regardless of what physical facilities are provided. Or did you think they just went to the factory next door making sterile gauze and contact lenses? IF there were in fact hospitals dedicated to eye care with all the supplies already stocked, I can assure you they wouldn't need a single doctor from across the world as aid.

The fact that they were Christians have FUELED the discussion, as the group identifies itself as a Christian group doing aid work, not an aid group that happened to be comprised of Christians. That particular eye doctor had been banned from the country by the government peacefully previously for trying to convert people. He then returned to the country. There are easy ways to make a martyr of oneself. Returning to a country that kicked you out, and ignoring all warnings to stay away from a particular area is a fast pass to it.

The difference in this debate is I provide links to back up my statements. I did not see a link to back up your statement that the dr. was kicked out of the country.

As to their purpose there:
International Assistance Mission, the longest serving nongovernmental organization operating in Afghanistan, is registered as a nonprofit Christian organization but does not proselytize.
My Way News - 6 Americans on medical team killed in Afghanistan

Bottom line, do you feel its ok to murder innocent, unarmed medical personnel because of their religious beliefs? That is exactly what happened.

The difference in this debate is I provide links to back up my statements. I did not see a link to back up your statement that the dr. was kicked out of the country.
I didn't realize I needed to link to the article that this entire thread was started about. I just kind of assumed you read it or any of the other articles which all state the exact same thing. But if you want a link, here you go:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/127909-10-medical-workers-killed-by-taliban.html

Perhaps you need help identifying the quote, which reads "Little, along with employees from other Christian organizations, were expelled by the Taliban government in August 2001 after the arrest of eight Christian aid workers — two Americans and six Germans — for allegedly trying to convert Afghans to Christianity"

So let's review: the man gets kicked out of a hostile area because irrational people believed him to be trying to convert people to Christianity. He then finds it a good idea to re-enter the region with a Christian organization. He receives warnings from locals not to enter a particular area in the country, which he ignores. He also turns down the guards who volunteered to guide him to safety on the route. And yet somehow you're still outraged at the outcome.

International Assistance Mission, the longest serving nongovernmental organization operating in Afghanistan, is registered as a nonprofit Christian organization but does not proselytize.
Could you be a dear and tell me why a medical group has to do with Christianity? I don't quite see the connection. You don't see anything odd in them advertising they're a Christian organization? You don't...... think that might not be the smartest advertising in that area?

Bottom line, do you feel its ok to murder innocent, unarmed medical personnel because of their religious beliefs? That is exactly what happened.
First, even the Taliban didn't claim they were killed for their religious beliefs, so I don't even know where you pulled that from. Second, no. This was still a shame to see lives lost. But it was not unexpected. That is my one and only point. You're putting bleeding meat in a piranha tank and getting surprised at the reaction.

I didn't realize I needed to link to the article that this entire thread was started about. I just kind of assumed you read it or any of the other articles which all state the exact same thing. But if you want a link, here you go:
http://www.usmessageboard.com/current-events/127909-10-medical-workers-killed-by-taliban.html

Perhaps you need help identifying the quote, which reads "Little, along with employees from other Christian organizations, were expelled by the Taliban government in August 2001 after the arrest of eight Christian aid workers — two Americans and six Germans — for allegedly trying to convert Afghans to Christianity"

So let's review: the man gets kicked out of a hostile area because irrational people believed him to be trying to convert people to Christianity. He then finds it a good idea to re-enter the region with a Christian organization. He receives warnings from locals not to enter a particular area in the country, which he ignores. He also turns down the guards who volunteered to guide him to safety on the route. And yet somehow you're still outraged at the outcome.

Could you be a dear and tell me why a medical group has to do with Christianity? I don't quite see the connection. You don't see anything odd in them advertising they're a Christian organization? You don't...... think that might not be the smartest advertising in that area?

First, even the Taliban didn't claim they were killed for their religious beliefs, so I don't even know where you pulled that from. Second, no. This was still a shame to see lives lost. But it was not unexpected. That is my one and only point. You're putting bleeding meat in a piranha tank and getting surprised at the reaction.

Well, I guess you told us didn't you. It's perfectly understanble and quite acceptable to murder someone because he tells you he's a Christian. You should donate to that mosque in nYC.

Well, I guess you told us didn't you. It's perfectly understanble and quite acceptable to murder someone because he tells you he's a Christian. You should donate to that mosque in nYC.

aw are you still butthurt about the negative rep you got from me? stop saying stupid things and then you won't have to get all upset when people call you on it

in the meantime, I advise you avoid starting a strawman argument with me at your current intelligence, my dear hick.

aw are you still butthurt about the negative rep you got from me? stop saying stupid things and then you won't have to get all upset when people call you on it

in the meantime, I advise you avoid starting a strawman argument with me at your current intelligence, my dear hick.
ROFLMAO
a neg rep from you wouldn't be as bad as a gnat
btw, if she reciprocated, you would likely be much more "butthurt"

i wasn't referring to the useless little number. i was referring to how upset she's been, which has been hilarious. all I'm saying is, she should probably not attack my well formed points with huffy whining, cute as it may be. it just doesn't help her side of the argument.

i wasn't referring to the useless little number. i was referring to how upset she's been, which has been hilarious. all I'm saying is, she should probably not attack my well formed points with huffy whining, cute as it may be. it just doesn't help her side of the argument.

you think this is "upset" doyareally? you are a hick but not smarter,, that's for sure. :lol::lol:

so you're saying a Christian group in a foreign country was suspected of trying to convert people to Christianity?! This is still unfortunate but what were they thinking!?

I am honestly conflicted about which is more tragic, the deaths , or the fact that some feel justified in causing said deaths.

Not to worry, just keep saying over and over... Islam is a peaceful religion......
Yes, just like Christianity is a peaceful religion.

ku-klux-klan-salute.jpg

You who is incapable of distinguishing radical extremists from the religions they associate with need to learn a bit about history before bashing an entire religion. Leave your prejudice at the door, for your religion is no better.

You're a piece of shit if you can't distinguish between slaughtering medical missionaries, who bring medicine to the destitute and primitive people of Afghanistan, and the fucking terrorists, who get hardons by robbing, torturing, terrorizing, and butchering their own people as well as anyone else who they feel moved to torment.

So please tell me...where currently are bands of Christian missionaries raping, torturing, killing, and robbing people?

I'll wait, you anti-American, anti-Christian, piece of filth.

so you're saying a Christian group in a foreign country was suspected of trying to convert people to Christianity?! This is still unfortunate but what were they thinking!?

Not to worry, just keep saying over and over... Islam is a peaceful religion......

ku-klux-klan-salute.jpg

You who is incapable of distinguishing radical extremists from the religions they associate with need to learn a bit about history before bashing an entire religion. Leave your prejudice at the door, for your religion is no better.

You're a piece of shit if you can't distinguish between slaughtering medical missionaries, who bring medicine to the destitute and primitive people of Afghanistan, and the fucking terrorists, who get hardons by robbing, torturing, terrorizing, and butchering their own people as well as anyone else who they feel moved to torment.

So please tell me...where currently are bands of Christian missionaries raping, torturing, killing, and robbing people?

careful now, he may neg rep you for saying "stupid shit" and it "butt hurts"

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The Christians who do those things aren't missionaries.
there are no "Christians" doing those things
It's not my place to judge who is or isn't a Christian (though many of you have no reservations about doing that with Muslims.) You would be incorrect to deny that there are people doing those things who are very committed to what they believe is Christianity.

you think this is "upset" doyareally? you are a hick but not smarter,, that's for sure. :lol::lol:
well, you seem to be responding to my every post and repping me at every opportunity. These are indicative of you following me, which means you either really like me, or your panties are in a bunch. Based on the negative retorts that generally have nothing to do with the actual topic at hand, I'd guess you're all huffy. ;)

Perhaps you missed the point whereby I compared extremist terrorists in one religious group, such as the Talliban, to extremist terrorists in another religion, such as the KKK. No where in my post did I compare religious fanatics to medical missionaries.

Perhaps if you spent less time being an oversensitive ignorant hick using blind rage instead of actually reading posts, you might be able to add something intelligent to the conversation.

So allow me to summarize in simple analogy. Taliban is to Islam, as KKK is to Christianity. Are all Muslims terrorists? Well, are all Christians ignorant bigots. Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask that last one...

Good luck with that reading thing in the future.

It's not my place to judge who is or isn't a Christian (though many of you have no reservations about doing that with Muslims.) You would be incorrect to deny that there are people doing those things who are very committed to what they believe is Christianity.
just as you were wrong to say some muslims were apostates

oh I see. because you said so?

So all the Muslims doing bad things are really Muslims, but all the Christians who do bad things aren't real Christians. Is that the double standard you're going for? Just checking to make sure I have your hypocrisy correct.

oh I see. because you said so?

So all the Muslims doing bad things are really Muslims, but all the Christians who do bad things aren't real Christians. Is that the double standard you're going for? Just checking to make sure I have your hypocrisy correct.
you should look at who i was responding to and learn what he has said